-
Posts
12,780 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
389
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Downloads
Blogs
Events
Our Shop
Movies
Everything posted by old man emu
-
Let's talk about Artificial Intelligence
old man emu replied to old man emu's topic in Science and Technology
No. Didn't you hear that Donny renamed the country? -
Is that like throwing a noose over a rafter in preparation for hanging yourself?
-
But who carries small change nowadays?
-
I found this interesting.
- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
I wonder what happens if you type in a question to ChatGPT in a language other than English. Does it reply in that language, or in English?
-
Let's talk about Artificial Intelligence
old man emu replied to old man emu's topic in Science and Technology
If we members here want to get an understanding of AI, I suggest they read this Wikipedia entry describing the history of AI. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_artificial_intelligence to acquant themselves with the road AI has travelled from a confluence of ideas that became prevalent in the late 1930s, 1940s, and early 1950s. In 1950, Turing published a landmark paper, "Computing Machinery and Intelligence", in which he speculated about the possibility of creating machines that think.[53][b] In the paper, he noted that "thinking" is difficult to define and devised his famous Turing test: If a machine could carry on a conversation (over a teleprinter) that was indistinguishable from a conversation with a human being, then it was reasonable to say that the machine was "thinking" -
What about this? We are living in the second quarter of the 21st Century.
-
Let's talk about Artificial Intelligence
old man emu replied to old man emu's topic in Science and Technology
Tough call! A certain number keeps coming into my mind - 1984. -
Furniture from the 50s is called Mid-Century Modern. Speaking of words we use without really knowing what the thing is the word describes, would you know what an algorithm was if you tripped over it?
-
Histroy has given us Alexander the Great, Alfred the Great, Vlad the Impaler and Ivan the Terrible. Now we have Donald the Destroyer.
-
I stood upwind. The incineerator was in a rural area. I stoned the crows.
-
I did identify the plant just after nomad posted the picture, but I clicked the wrong button and left the thread and could not remember which one it was. I remember clearing out a house which was being used to grow these plants hydroponically. I think the count wa around 300 plants. They were beautiful specimens of the species. If it was legal to grow them, they would have walked away with First Prize at any horticultural comptition. Too bad I had to take them to an industrial incinerator and burn them.
-
Have you noticed that trhere never seems to be any videos in which a Democrat politician says anything to advance the Democrat cause? We nver hear anything about the Democrats' campaign for the upcoming mid-terms.
-
Back in the early days of the Internet, we relied on dial-up modems and bulletin boards? Do you remember which search engine you used? I can recall one called Ask Jeeves. Founded in 1996 by Garrett Gruener and David Warthen in Berkeley, California, the service became one of the earliest prominent search engines on the World Wide Web during the late 1990s and early 2000s. The "Jeeves" branding was discontinued in 2006 and relaunched as Ask.com, focusing more directly on competing with major search engines such as Google, Yahoo! Search, and MSN Search. Ask.com was shut down on May 1, 2026, ending nearly three decades of operation.
-
President John F. Kennedy delivered the famous "We choose to go to the Moon" speech on September 12, 1962. The moon landing occured on July 20, 1969. Compared to setting up a steel plant from scratch, that was pretty quick. Trump can make all sorts of artillery announcements - "we're gunna ...", that sound great, but how long would it take to make those announced projects come to fruition? Ten years represents the balance of his Presidency and two more Presidential terms (no matter which Party wins the Presidency).
-
Australia: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (and the Meh?)
old man emu replied to Jerry_Atrick's topic in General Discussion
The bloke I was talking to was a volunteer at the railwya museum. https://www.nsw.gov.au/visiting-and-exploring-nsw/locations-and-attractions/tocumwal-railway-heritage-museum I would visit the aviation musuem first, of course. -
Australia: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (and the Meh?)
old man emu replied to Jerry_Atrick's topic in General Discussion
I met a bloke from Toc who came into the Op Shop one day. He told me that there is also a railway museum there. I've been meaning to go to Toc. It's a 6 hour drive from home. -
Be careful of accepting what is in that video. It has all the hallmarks of AI Slop. I start to get suspicious as soon as I see that bright yellow band on the bottom. I've seen heaps of videos with that identical design. Also if you open to the first bit, you will see hands that are too clear. It appears to be an image created by AI. If it was fair dinkum, it would be from a TV source and would be a bit fuzzy.
-
-
Let's talk about Artificial Intelligence
old man emu replied to old man emu's topic in Science and Technology
If my dog escapes from my yard that I have taken all reasonable steps to secure, and bites the postman, I'm liable. -
I don't need to quote a AI source. I have seen that quoted in a documentary about Colman's business, but then again, that documetary was on Youtube.
-
Why is it that the number of slices in a standard loaf of bread is uneven? If one uses two slices to make a sandwich, and the end crusts are whole, one ends up with a single slice left over when all the pairs of slices have been used.
-
That is the taskthe Crown must complete in order to gain a conviction. There's manyu an offender who has not been prosecuted because the Crown says, "We know you done it, but we can't connect all the dots to prove to a jury, without allowing for an alternative, but reasonable, explanation of the evidence the Crown has gathered.
-
Bail refused. Kept on Remand until the Trial has been completed. It takes a long time for such very serious cases to come to Trial. Two years from time of charging would be quick. Witht eh number of charges involved it will take a long time for the evidence to be collated in a format that can be placed before the Court. The wheels of Justice grind slow, but fine.
-
On another topic, Trump has banned certain media organisations from attending the White House. Those organisation are, of course, taking the ban to Court on the basis of their being contrary to the First Amendment, which creates prohibitions on Congress making laws in three areas. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. I wonder how these legal actions will go. While one could reasonably argue that the ban vio;ates teh First Amendment, Trump could quite easily counter by saying that the grounds of the White House are restricted areas for security reasons and that entry entry thereto by any person depends on that person gaining the appropriate security clearance. And we know that the grounds for deny the clearance in Trump's world are pretty flimsy.
