Getting old

Yenn

You buy the malted barley and yeast. follow some simple directions  and then put it through your still.

My ex next-door neighbor had it harder. He survived being an apprentice in the Luftwaffe in WW2, then after the war he got rich by making moonshine. Anything that might ferment went into this old bathtub he had, to then go through his home-made still. He called the stuff "schnapps" and sold it to the US canteens. Schnapps sounds better than moonshine or jungle juice.

Gosh, we would have it so much easier these days.

Ludwig ( my neighbor ) lost all his riches in 1948 when they changed currency and didn't honour money made by small-time bootleggers. So he emigrated to Australia.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier in this thread I mentioned my 92 year father, anyway he passed away yesterday (not really a tragedy at 92)  His death was pretty good  and his care was exceptional.   Anyway a few years ago (7years) I took him flying which we only ever did a couple of times. this was the last time he came for a flight with me, I think it was for his 85th birthday.   The video now seems quite appropriate (requires sound)

Some interesting mechanical  turbulence  at the 45 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ905Qr_DUQ&t=1s

• Like 1

Received in an email today:

OLD FRIENDS
Two elderly ladies had been friends for many decades. Over the years, they had shared all kinds of activities and adventures. Lately, their activities had been limited to meeting a few times a week to play cards.
One day, they were playing cards when one looked at the other and said, "Now don't get mad at me... I know we've been friends for a long time but I just can't think of your name. I've thought and thought, but I can't remember it. Please tell me what your name is."
Her friend glared at her. For at least three minutes she just stared and glared at her. Finally, she said,
"How soon do you need to know?" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

From the same email - you may have heard this one before:

SENIOR DRIVING

As a senior citizen was driving down the motorway, his car phone rang. Answering, he heard his wife's voice urgently warning him, "Vernon, I just heard on the news that there's a car going the wrong way on M25. Please be careful!"
"Hell," said Vernon, "It's not just one car. It's hundreds of them!" 

• Haha 3