Your ABC

Jerry_Atrick

Your ABC  

8 members have voted

1. 1. The government has in real and absolute terms been reducing the funding of the ABC over the years. The latest round will result in various cuts to both content and employees. What is your opinon of the cuts and funding of the ABC?

• They should stop all funding and the ABC should either become a commercial entity (either being sold off or as a statutory authority) or be closed down
    • We should keep the ABC in a reduced form - with correspondent cuts to funding - i.e. it is over funded and some/a lot of what they produce is excess.
    • WIth the latest round of cuts, it is just right - keep it where it is
    • Have noticed a drop in quality/quantity of content. It's funding should be increased, by no more than 20%
    • It is an outrageous attack on (mostly) independentand objective transparency of government of either camp - and a sorry reduction in original and innovative programming - it's funding should be increased dramatically (> 20%, but better still, > 50%)
    • What is the ABC?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/07/20 at 01:56 AM

One son and the daughter have departed  citing differences with climate  denial policies. His enterprises are losing money. The regional papers I hope will flourish under new  individual ownership . Monopoly is not a good thing especially when it's operated as this one has... In Qld it's the only paper generally. Nev

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

One son and the daughter have departed  citing differences with climate  denial policies. His enterprises are losing money. The regional papers I hope will flourish under new  individual ownership . Monopoly is not a good thing especially when it's operated as this one has... In Qld it's the only paper generally. Nev

I remember years ago Brisbane's Courier Mail was readable. These days it's absolute trash: on a par with the worst British tabloids. But that's his business model. The man should be banned from buying newspapers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, facthunter said:

...His enterprises are losing money...

Few people noticed recently when our PM gave ten million dollars taxpayer funds to SkyNews, so they could promote women's sport... just after he'd again cut the budget of the ABC, which has been promoting women's sport for decades

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

Few people noticed recently when our PM gave ten million dollars taxpayer funds to SkyNews, so they could promote women's sport

The Sky News interpretation of women's sport would be Peta Credlin arm wrestling Pauline Hanson. With Andrew Bolt and Alan Jones throwing peanuts.

• Haha 1

As much as I like the ABC, I think they need to lift their game. Lately, they've been indulging in a few Murdoch like tactics. The old footage cut and splice trick.

The latest example is this footage of Trump's press interview on the Steve Bannon arrest. The footage has been cut and spliced and could make it appear that Trump was defending Bannon, which he wasn't. The second part of the footage is obviously a response to a completely different question.  The ABC might not have been the original author of it, but even running with someone else's misleading work is a disgrace. Come on Aunty, we expect you to be better than that.

I realise some will defend the ABC on this simply because they don't like Trump. But when you look at it objectively, it's poor journalism regardless of who is being interviewed.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-21/former-trump-adviser-steve-bannon-arrested-fraud-conspiracy/12580952

Edited by willedoo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

If only we could get back to the journalism standards of one hundred years ago. Then every newspaper from Metropolitan Dailies to suburban weeklies were full of news relevant to their consumers. Nowadays, the local rag is nought but advertising with a bit of local sport. The Dailies simply reproduce the outpourings of their associated electronic media companies.

Here's the local Camden paper of 19th August 1920, https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/136647496/15327754

On 21 August 2020 at 5:24 PM, Yenn said:

You could be lucky to get a local rag. Ours is gone and to get news we have to go on line. What I really miss is the ability to light the fire easily.

Good point, Yenn. Nothing comes near newspaper for ease of firestarting.. 

Years ago when masking off my plane for painting, I grabbed a big pile of discarded broadsheets. They are now gold.

I recently dropped into The Quirindi Advocate and thanked the overworked lady for continuing to crank out our local paper thru the pandemic. In years to come it will be a vital resource for historians.

A lot of local newspapers, particular Leader Press newspapers, have gone online. No paper publications. That has hit the hip pocket of delivery people who relied on them as the bulk of their income, like my daughter. Retail catalogues (junk mail) are also disappearing. Coles have advised that their weekly specials catalogue will now only be online. Once again, the elderly, who may not have a computer, miss out. Woolworths will continue, at least for the present, to print hard copy, as will Aldi.

There are two factors affecting Willy Wavedagger when he wrote that play.

Richard the Third did have a spinal deformity. That has been proven by the analysis of his recently discovered skeleton. He suffered from a condition called kyphosis.

image.jpeg.9e85ff684c9d70a816689577568edbe6.jpeg

The other factor was that he was living in the Tudor Dynasty. Richard III (2 October 1452 – 22 August 1485) was King of England and Lord of Ireland from 1483 until his death in 1485. He was the last king of the House of York and the last of the Plantagenet dynasty. His defeat and death at the Battle of Bosworth Field, the last decisive battle of the Wars of the Roses, marked the end of the Middle Ages in England.  Henry Tudor then ascended the throne as Henry VII, starting the Tudor Dynasty. So, it would be politically incorrect to paint Richard in any favourable way. It's doubtful that Willy was under contract from the Crown to write the play. 

• 1 month later...
On 21/08/2020 at 1:34 PM, willedoo said:

As much as I like the ABC, I think they need to lift their game. Lately, they've been indulging in a few Murdoch like tactics

Anger of Murdoch's tactics has finally reached boiling point. Parliament is being petitioned to set up a Royal Commission to investigate how the Murdoch empire is running this country. Some of you may not like who is speaking about getting this investigation up and running, but there is some bipartisan support for exposing the King maker for what he is.

• Agree 1

A Royal Commission. Just what we need, a good way to keep spending money to no advantage and it lets the media  spout away without having to do any real work. Then years later when it is all finished, nothing happens. Have a look at what the enquiry into the banks accomplished. Already the government is going in completely the opposite direction to the findings.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 24/10/2020 at 5:38 PM, old man emu said:

but there is some bipartisan support for exposing the King maker for what he is.

What he is in this country is the unofficial media arm of the Liberal/National parties. Although a lot of people would like a total ban on his publications, we still need a balance. I agree with what Rudd is saying about the level of media ownership by Murdoch. As he pointed out, most of the press in Queensland is owned by Murdoch. There is rarely if ever any balance and fairness in his press. His job is to: 1. make money. 2. help install and maintain conservative governments worldwide. Reporting news in a fair and balanced fashion doesn't come into the equation.

The Murdoch press is like a wart growing on the backside of Australia; it's always been there but over time has grown a little bit too big. Big can be ok if the content is fair, but the last few years have seen his press get progressively worse.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

We will soon see how well the press has done with item 2. I read the Qld papers and the Australian and so long as I can separate the wheat from the chaff I don't mind. The bias is so obvious that I reckon I can overcome it.

The reporting from the ABC is certainly more level field.

Listening to a guest speaker on the ABC radio recently, I learnt a new word. Paltering or to palter. It means using truthful facts to deceive or mislead, as opposed to outright lying. Most of the press use it to various degrees. Facts out of context to give a desired meaning etc.. The purposeful omission of certain facts from a story can also change the context to give a misleading result. Even the ABC aren't squeaky clean on this one.

• Agree 2