Atheist knowledge

Gnarly Gnu

will I simply be buried and rot away?

Yes, but so will they.

Your rotting body was only a mechanism to give mobility to your conscience during your mortal existence. Have you given any thought to what will become of your conscience after death? Maybe you will live on in the conscience of those individuals you have influenced during life.

Yes, but so will they.

Your rotting body was only a mechanism to give mobility to your conscience during your mortal existence. Have you given any thought to what will become of your conscience after death? Maybe you will live on in the conscience of those individuals you have influenced during life.

That is exactly what I believe will happen.

Not a problem Marty if we both evolved from the same ancestor we all will share the same mitochondria.

Mitochondria mutates TP.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_DNA:

The low effective population size and rapid mutation rate (in animals) makes mtDNA useful for assessing genetic relationships of individuals or groups within a species and also for identifying and quantifying the phylogeny (evolutionary relationships; see phylogenetics) among different species, provided they are not too distantly related. To do this, biologists determine and then compare the mtDNA sequences from different individuals or species. Data from the comparisons is used to construct a network of relationships among the sequences, which provides an estimate of the relationships among the individuals or species from which the mtDNAs were taken. This approach has limits that are imposed by the rate of mtDNA sequence change. In animals, the high mutation rate makes mtDNA most useful for comparisons of individuals within species and for comparisons of species that are closely or moderately-closely related, among which the number of sequence differences can be easily counted. As the species become more distantly related, the number of sequence differences becomes very large; changes begin to accumulate on changes until an accurate count becomes impossible.

Also interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recent_African_origin_of_modern_humans

Not a problem Marty if we both evolved from the same ancestor we all will share the same mitochondria.

no it would not be the same, it would would have been the exactly the same. Since the time we went our separate ways there will have be some mutations.

Hominoids and monkeys may well "Look" like humans, but unless they had that mitochondria, we did not evolve from them.

I am not sure what you mean by "that" mitochondria

Here is short video demonstrating the multiple lines of evidence

Turbo you may be interested in looking up Human Chromosome 2 and also Endogenous Retro Virus (ERV)

I am always surprised that people who argue for the existence of a god are quick to try to discredit the evidence for evolution. I never use evolution as a way of disproving the existence of a creator because I don't think it is a particularly strong argument. Many Christians have no problem with the theory of evolution, they believe evolution is the mechanism used by the "creator" just like sex and pregnancy and birth are the mechanisms through which new humans are created.

If the theory were falsified tomorrow by perhaps a fossil of a rabbit being found in the precambrian layer, I would not suddenly think "oh well, no evolution, no other scientific theories to explain it, it must be god"

Turbs I look forward to your "study on mitochondrial DNA" and if by chance you manage to overturn the current standard model of biology (as taught in Universities all around the world) I will happily pay your airfare the Geneva to receive your Nobel prize.

Whats all this about homo erectus erectus. surely if the homo's are the ones to get erectus that will mean the end of the line.As we get older does the erectus part mutate away?

They have a pill for that Yenn. For the erectus bit, not the homo bit.

Still the Atheist not being able to help himself ridiculing someone else's faith...........................

Actually, I just watched it. It provides quotes from the bible which most christians think is the word of god, so if god says you've got no chance of getting to heaven, why is it ridiculing someone's faith?

What's wrong with just saying "I'm an Atheist", being happy and going about your business without finding one way after another to launch ridiculous attacks.

One could reverse that and say why can't believers just be "happy going about their business" etc

You seem to think that religious folk DO quietly go about their business, although many do, quite a few don't. I have never had an atheist stop me in the street or knock on my door. I have never felt judged by an atheist. I don't see any equivalent the Australian Christian Lobby exerting pressure on politicians.

We're talking about #1839 Octave.

If you are walking down the street minding your own business and some idiot comes along and, without any provocation, gives you a backhander, most people are going to respond.

What other people might be doing, or might do may be of great interest and fun to you, and who am I to try to stop you dreaming, spurred on by the guts of #1839

We're talking about #1839 Octave.If you are walking down the street minding your own business and some idiot comes along and, without any provocation, gives you a backhander, most people are going to respond.

What other people might be doing, or might do may be of great interest and fun to you, and who am I to try to stop you dreaming, spurred on by the guts of #1839

Yes I am aware what you are talking about. I have watched the video you refer to, it is basically quotes from the bible, you could perhaps mount an argument as to the context of these quotes. The quotes are accurate. My question is why is it ok for believers to quote the bible to non believers but not the other way around.