Atheist knowledge

Gnarly Gnu

I will say this, the longer ISIS gets stronger in the ME,the longer they feel that they will win. That isn't going to happen, they will be eradicated sooner or later.The western world will sooner or later, bomb them into submission.

Dazza,

Have a read of how well Alexander the Great managed with his attempts to "bomb them into submission" back in 320BCE, and later on the Brits and later on the Russians, and later on the Americans.........

No, there lies a road to disater.

I rather like the Greenie method - Go Solar!

PeterT

IF we left them alone they would KILL each other The only way to unite them would be a ruthless Totalitarian system that no thinking person would want to live under. We only go there to get the oil. They Know that. America wanted the oil price to be about 16 dollars. They always called it " OUR OIL" which seems a little presumptuous, but OIL has been GOD in America from the days of big whaling there, Nev

Dazza,Have a read of how well Alexander the Great managed with his attempts to "bomb them into submission" back in 320BCE, and later on the Brits and later on the Russians, and later on the Americans.........

No, there lies a road to disater.

I rather like the Greenie method - Go Solar!

PeterT

Alexander didn't have Boeing B 52's either.

All the Saudi's did was keep producing. The market decides the price. Normally OPEC cut production but no going that way this time. Apart from losing more money that way, they are happy to drive out relatively uneconomical Tar Sands etc At around $50 all that extra stuff in the US is not profitable.. Nev

Heard an interesting show on nuclear fusion & the latest generation of fast-breeding fission reactors, which according to the experts are not only much safer than water-cooled reactors but produce no radioactive waste (apart from the reactor itself at the end of its life). In fact it can be fed existing nuclear waste as well as plutonium from excess nuclear weapons, and uses 99% of the potential energy of uranium instead of the current 1% that conventional stations use.

If these are the real facts of these stations, and the message is sold the right way, it could change some minds about this source of clean power.

Heard an interesting show on nuclear fusion & the latest generation of fast-breeding fission reactors, which according to the experts are not only much safer than water-cooled reactors but produce no radioactive waste (apart from the reactor itself at the end of its life). In fact it can be fed existing nuclear waste as well as plutonium from excess nuclear weapons, and uses 99% of the potential energy of uranium instead of the current 1% that conventional stations use.

If these are the real facts of these stations, and the message is sold the right way, it could change some minds about this source of clean power.

This could well be true Marty but nuclear is still more expensive than solar, which is getting cheaper every day and doesn't leave us dependent on expensive imported technology. Why are we fixated with centralised power generation?

So tell us about this affordable solar which is getting cheaper every day. Do we have a system capable of powering a house yet? Has anyone solved the issue of power companies reducing their buy price for your solar generated power to the point where it got below break even?

Yes Turbs, we do have systems capable of powering a house. People in remote areas have been using them for quite a while and even some urban new home builders are keen to get off the grid. It's one solution to decining feed-in prices.

So tell us about this affordable solar which is getting cheaper every day. Do we have a system capable of powering a house yet? Has anyone solved the issue of power companies reducing their buy price for your solar generated power to the point where it got below break even?

Between 1990 and 2011 I lived in a house which was solar powered. The cost of bringing wires to the property far outweighed the cost of solar. Throughout this time, the cost of solar panels has dropped markedly. Installing solar in this case was the economically rational thing to do.

In terms of the economics of renewables this article from the " The Economist" magazine is quite interesting. http://www.economist.com/news/special-report/21639020-renewables-are-no-longer-fad-fact-life-supercharged-advances-power?zid=313&ah=fe2aac0b11adef572d67aed9273b6e55

Yes Turbs, we do have systems capable of powering a house. People in remote areas have been using them for quite a while and even some urban new home builders are keen to get off the grid. It's one solution to reducing feed-in prices.

OK, I'm all for pure renewables, we use some solar ourselves and plan to get more. However a household is far different to commercial premises - shopping centres, office blocks, manufacturing, entertainment venues, the list goes on and on with places that need more power, and more reliable, than solar can provide. Plus if - WHEN - the large scale takeup of electric vehicles happens, charging stations are going to need seriously heavy baseload.

The point is that the world is at a vital crossroad right now. England and USA realize the need to keep the global warming to less than 2 degrees rise. Most sensible people around the world realize this too, despite some countries having leaders that only bluster ineffectually while their chief of staff runs their government (into the ground) - not mentioning any names here. One day the technology for purely renewable power to provide all needs may exist; in the meantime, if we wait for that to happen, we'll find ourselves living with all the disastrous consequences that 5+ degrees rise will bring. Fast-breeders may provide that stopgap - one professor from UTAS stated that because their power extraction from uranium is 100 times more efficient than regular nuclear, the worlds existing stockpile of uranium - without digging any more out - could provide enough energy for the next 500 years, I assume based on current consumption. If they're safe, produce no radioactive waste and actually consume existing waste, as well as producing no carbon dioxide, why wouldn't they be far preferable to coal fired generation?

Industry analysts are saying the Saudis dropped their oil price to force marginal shale oil firms out of business- and protect their own market power.

Indeed it's true, close family friend and my daughter's godfather is a Head of one of those marginals. They have shale interests in America, Canada and Brazil and investment dollars have been coming in strong for the last couple of years, too much to turn back.

He says it has had and will have some further effect, but actually hasn't changed a lot because there is a fair few North American investors who would rather see the money get invested and stay in North America, as well as being sick and tired of the ME.

The ME shot themselves in the foot by allowing the prices to get so high and opening the door.

Of course one reason the prices get so high is the constant ballshite that we are getting short of the stuff, that's absolute crap, but suits the people selling it.

CooBer Pedy. They want to dig up the aerodrome for OPALS there. It's the only part that hasn't been reduced to a lot of holes and mullock heaps. Nev

Bugger I always thought it was spelt with a p instead of a b. You learn something new everyday. Never been there myself.