Atheist knowledge

Gnarly Gnu

• 2 weeks later...
Trust you to ask the most profoundly difficult questions, Bex. I'll be awake all night tonight now. Does anybody know what an Ark is?rgmwa

Oddly enough, the flood story is corroborated by the history of many civilizations around the world, and the Ark story in quite a few.

Since we know the whole earth cannot be inundated by the volume of ice and water, it's probable that many parts of the world may have been inundated at some time in history, and it's not out of the question that people put what animals and plants they could in boats.

There have been extreme flood events throughout history, and yes I agree that some people with access to boats and sufficient warning may have grabbed the family goat on the way out the door. However the idea that one man built a massive craft and somehow stocked it with one breeding pair of every one of the millions of species of animal life on earth, (plus a few members of his own family) - and re-seeded the earth's animal life from this boatload, could only be considered "fact" by the most gullible.

Hardly possible to work in reality. Need a lot of inbreeding for a while, (limited gene pool) and there are so many species you couldn't collect them or feed them and make sure they didn't eat each other while all this was happening.

What about the marine species? They seem to escape this "arrangement" by a bottom of the harbor scheme. Nev

Need a lot of inbreeding for a while, (limited gene pool)

Well that is the basis for the old testament. Inbreeding and incest is pretty normal in the bible, one only has to read the first dozen pages.

What amazes me, is we have adam and eve, very european(brit) types names (well eve is a little hippy like) then all of a sudden sons are arabic, and for the most part the rest of the bible is arabic. I guess the garden of eden must have been somewhere in europe, then they were shipped to the middle east.

Well that is the basis for the old testament. Inbreeding and incest is pretty normal in the bible, one only has to read the first dozen pages.

What amazes me, is we have adam and eve, very european(brit) types names (well eve is a little hippy like) then all of a sudden sons are arabic, and for the most part the rest of the bible is arabic. I guess the garden of eden must have been somewhere in europe, then they were shipped to the middle east.

"Adam" and "Eves" real names (Ahmed and Salome) were suppressed to protect them from the outrage of all the other people when they realised these two had screwed it for everyone else. Courts do the same thing today.

Hardly possible to work in reality. Need a lot of inbreeding for a while, (limited gene pool) and there are so many species you couldn't collect them or feed them and make sure they didn't eat each other while all this was happening.What about the marine species? They seem to escape this "arrangement" by a bottom of the harbor scheme. Nev

I think you'll find the stories were written for local consumption in "their" world, so the Ark may have held a couple of camels, desert foxes, ravens, hares and horses. In New Zealand it seems to have been mainly sheep and one Moa.

However the idea that one man built a massive craft and somehow stocked it with one breeding pair of every one of the millions of species of animal life on earth,

That's the one, if it had of been the "God" himself who built and stocked it, it may have been believable (relative statement) but having the story with a mortal man building it is just embarrassing for the gullible ones.

The Bible and Christianity have proven a worthwhile guide to establishing our societies, laws and culture, Christians should be proud of, and stick with that, and stay as far as possible from the obvious nonsense written in ignorant and superstitious times.

Here is a reply of mine at Easter to this ...

"There are reasons to have a day off, Anzac day, Australia Day etc.

Queen's birthday is a joke as is Christmas and Easter. A holiday at the end of the year is fine but not to celebrate jebus dying on the cross or whatever those authors made up".

Not only do you miss the point, mentioning the preferred holidays "to be celebrated" is a contradiction.

The whole fabric of Australian society is founded on Christianity. Our laws, morals, culture, etc. are all directly or indirectly based on the Bible, including decisions of going to War - regardless of the the Bible being a mythical steaming pile of ballshit.

Once you start breaking down or distancing our society's connection to Christianity and the Bible, you start opening doors that will break down the very foundations that support what has made Australia what it is today. So let the 30% believe what they want to and let them have their input when and where it's asked for and required, understanding that to have balance you need to take from both ends of the spectrum, otherwise anarchy ensures.

So if you're not religious, that's fine, just don't be ignorant in the same breath, simply step back and enjoy the benefits of Australia that were in part afforded to you by the religious end of the spectrum - and a holiday every now and then due to them is just a small part of those benefits.

I suddenly have the desire to watch 'Life of Brian', or Woman.

That's the one, if it had of been the "God" himself who built and stocked it, it may have been believable (relative statement) but having the story with a mortal man building it is just embarrassing for the gullible ones.

The Bible and Christianity have proven a worthwhile guide to establishing our societies, laws and culture, Christians should be proud of, and stick with that, and stay as far as possible from the obvious nonsense written in ignorant and superstitious times.

Here is a reply of mine at Easter to this ...

"There are reasons to have a day off, Anzac day, Australia Day etc.

Queen's birthday is a joke as is Christmas and Easter. A holiday at the end of the year is fine but not to celebrate jebus dying on the cross or whatever those authors made up".

Not only do you miss the point, mentioning the preferred holidays "to be celebrated" is a contradiction.

The whole fabric of Australian society is founded on Christianity. Our laws, morals, culture, etc. are all directly or indirectly based on the Bible, including decisions of going to War - regardless of the the Bible being a mythical steaming pile of ballshit.

Once you start breaking down or distancing our society's connection to Christianity and the Bible, you start opening doors that will break down the very foundations that support what has made Australia what it is today. So let the 30% believe what they want to and let them have their input when and where it's asked for and required, understanding that to have balance you need to take from both ends of the spectrum, otherwise anarchy ensures.

So if you're not religious, that's fine, just don't be ignorant in the same breath, simply step back and enjoy the benefits of Australia that were in part afforded to you by the religious end of the spectrum - and a holiday every now and then due to them is just a small part of those benefits.

I suddenly have the desire to watch 'Life of Brian', or Woman.

Well, you can still celebrate christmas and easter, because they were holidays long before the christians ripped them off. Easter was the spring celebration in honour of the Saxon goddess of spring, Eastra. The resurrection story itself was ripped off from older resurrection stories, which amazingly enough had a 3-day period of death (for example check out the Sumerian story of Damuzi and Inanna). Christmas originates from midwinter solstice festivals.

I do take issue with you saying everything in our current society originates with christianity and the bible, it doesn't, and quite a lot of it actually runs counter to christianity. The rule of law evolved well before it, "modern" institutions such as democracy, legal representation, spectator sports, commerce, civil engineering, and heaps of others, all predated christianity.

In fact you could say that christianity is the biggest example of copyright theft ever, it makes the sins of bit torrent users look positively miniscule.

"Adam" and "Eves" real names (Ahmed and Salome) were suppressed to protect them from the outrage of all the other people when they realised these two had screwed it for everyone else. Courts do the same thing today.

Yeah, its just convenient they were replaced with some modern english names.

Oh, and where did you get that part from? I dont recall reading that in genesis. spacer.png

Where does all the water go, after the deluge? Microbes are exempt too as most of the animals are full of them. I'd accept the Gardens of Babylon to be Eden, near the Tigris and Euphrates. How long ago did this happen? Less than 6300 years? Nev

The Babylon gardens were elevated and well documented by historians and archaeologists, so it wasn't there, but you'd have to eliminate all the earlier civilizations around the world to get back to two people.

The Babylon gardens were elevated and well documented by historians and archaeologists, so it wasn't there, but you'd have to eliminate all the earlier civilizations around the world to get back to two people.

Documented after the fact you say? Are you suggesting that the Bible may somehow be influenced by man himself? Perhaps even a bunch of stories written by people who were before a time where science and physics actually provide sensible answers to environmental phenomena?

BTW, I am still having issues linking Ahmed and Salome to Adam and Eve. Now wondering where the name Adam and Eve came from. Its still Adam and Eve in the KJV bible, and alas I cant read hebrew so perusing the tanakh is out of the question for me... Hmmm, I have read the bible enough times now, maybe its time to search for a academic well versed in the hebrew language to explain the interpretation.