Atheist knowledge

Gnarly Gnu

Damn Radio National! Programming "The spirit of things" right when I'm working on my plane at 9pm Wednesday nights. They had some spanker on this week who makes a "living" going around telling people that they are god and god is all around them and all they need is that love in their life to feel better about themselves (American, of course). He even said that the reason cancer happens is because people don't "love themselves" enough. (I get the feeling that he loves himself more often than most).

I'm sure a 6-year old child getting chemo and spinal taps for their leukaemia (as a friend's child is) would be thrilled to hear that the reason for their affliction is their lack of self-love.

On any normal interview the presenter would be asking some pretty hard questions about his oncology qualifications and the results of any double blind placebo trials he's done to prove his theories, but no, she just oohed and ahhed even at his most ridiculous assertions. (At the end she gave an insipid disclaimer that the curing of disease through love is an "open question" - probably forced on her by the producer.)

Critical thinking and religion don't mix.

The local University Radio station (2NUR FM) has a session on around mid-day each week presented by a "Wellness" person. This person asserts all sorts of Alternative Medicine gibberish. I am quite critical of a University allowing this rubbish to go to air uncontested by the Medical Faculty. Being a grumpy old sod, I'll probably write to the FM station, the University Vice-Chancellor and the Medical Faculty and help them all with their thinking. spacer.png

The local University Radio station (2NUR FM) has a session on around mid-day each week presented by a "Wellness" person. This person asserts all sorts of Alternative Medicine gibberish. I am quite critical of a University allowing this rubbish to go to air uncontested by the Medical Faculty. Being a grumpy old sod, I'll probably write to the FM station, the University Vice-Chancellor and the Medical Faculty and help them all with their thinking. spacer.png

Being an atheist, you have no power to draw on; I can at least ask for a plague of locusts to infest the studio.

Marty, if you lived somewhere decent you wouldn't have to listen to the looney programming of Radio National.

I have no issue with RN most of the time. In fact I have no issue with them broadcasting "The spirit of things", just wish they'd do it at the appropriate time - which is about 4:30am.

Oh, thank g......

No, wait!

I didn't mean to say that. That was just a leftover automatic learned response that had been programmed into me from childhood.

(switches logic module 'ON' - click!)

Thank you all - for contributing to this great thread. I've been away for a while and was missing the humour and the thought provoking content. Yes, really! It's so good (and rare) to be able to have open, frank and wide ranging discussion about the whole topic. Unfortunately we frequently self censor in order to avoid the very chance of offending someone's beliefs, when they (and I) really should not be afraid to hear whatever theories anybody may have. After all, a differing opinion doesn't have to be a problem. But, having said that, I do recall coming across folk who seem afraid (threatened, actually) to hear any thing which might require them to realign their beliefs. I don't want to rock anyone's boat, but I do enjoy a good open debate from which I can learn stuff. I really enjoy all the input because it helps me to define and refine my beliefs (the spiritual stance) and my understanding (the logical, factual understanding).

I was afraid that the thread might have died away. Sometimes it just makes my day to read through this stuff. So, thanks.

Thank you all - for contributing to this great thread. I've been away for a while and was missing the humour and the thought provoking content. Yes, really! It's so good (and rare) to be able to have open, frank and wide ranging discussion about the whole topic.

We are truly fortunate that Australians truly accept other's views. It is a diminishing treasure though the use of simplistic power words such as 'terrorist', 'racist', 'denier', etc rather than an actual structured sentence - otherwise known as debate.

'Wanker' is ok though spacer.png

Putting tabs on groups etc is usually to demean them. Avoids considering their point of view as a serious input often. Depersonalises people. like "all Gen Y are the same". Young people don't know the value of money .etc. We all do it I suppose. Nev