Atheist knowledge

Gnarly Gnu

I have always tried to do the right thing by people and animals .

I have been brought up to know what is right and wrong and what is morally correct. Most up us have done the same. I believe that doing the right thing by others is all we need to do. Who knows what happens to us after we die. Live life to the fullest and enjoy it.

Or comprehend the apparent size of the Universe. BUT we do have many tools unavailable to our ancestors at our disposal, and thereby obtain facts we never had any hope of knowing, back then. Less excuse for ignorance surely?. This is an exciting age but wasted on many who choose to remain ignorant rather than move out of their comfort zone.

Dazza fair enough what you say. I feel, don't do to someone what you would not like done to yourself. A fair go for all seems reasonable. Nev

Kerrie Packer went there and came back and that's what he said. "There's nothing there, Mate". Isn't that the final state for Bhuddists.? Peaceful Oblivion. Just imagine... No more Bull$#it. or ridicule. Sonnds like heaven. Nev

Can't help myself, Nev. Are you sure he was a good choice of scout?

Back to Moses for a moment, he was an Egyptian, probably one of the Pharoah's many sons. (mose=son). When he defected the Jews had to come up with a story as to why they were being led by a hated Egyptian. So they made up a story, that he was really an Israelite who had been brought up by Egyptians. All this and more in "The Moses legacy"by Graham Phillips. Rings true to me.

Can't help myself, Nev. Are you sure he was a good choice of scout?

My respect for KP was never great apart from three great things that he did. Firstly, popularising Packer Wackers at his own expense, telling off a bunch of senators who accused him of arranging his affairs to minimise his tax bill and cautioning them that what he does pay mostly gets wasted. And then there was the fact that at the age 69 with phenomenal wealth he chose accept his fate and die. He could have spent millions keeping himself alive but did not. I could also throw in his contribution to cricket but that would make 4.

My respect for KP was never great apart from three great things that he did. Firstly, popularising Packer Wackers at his own expense, telling off a bunch of senators who accused him of arranging his affairs to minimise his tax bill and cautioning them that what he does pay mostly gets wasted. And then there was the fact that at the age 69 with phenomenal wealth he chose accept his fate and die. He could have spent millions keeping himself alive but did not. I could also throw in his contribution to cricket but that would make 4.

Perhaps a cheap shot on my part, Don. He was not the worst billionaire this nation has produced; there are plenty of others who should find no welcome beyond the Pearly Gates.

Perhaps a cheap shot on my part . . .

Not a cheap shot at all, OldK. I don't think the big fella ever gave any pretense of accepting assertions without strong proof. I also doubt that he would have found it easy to accept that there was anyone more powerful than himself. Now, that's a cheap shot.

I would normally say "see you later", on the phone I often say goodbye and yes, I do know that the origin of "Goodbye" is thought to be a contraction of god be with you. This does not imply any belief in god, the meanings of words and customs change with time.

Aw Bex that's so sweet spacer.png

Just a short straw poll here; when you are parting from someone, do you say "Goodbye"?

When I hit my thumb with a hammer I say "Jesus f*cking Christ!!" - doesn't mean I believe that a character from history can do anything about my blood blister.

dazza 38. So you have been brough up to do what is right. That seems to me to be what the church would say it is promoting. Easy to see how good they are at it. Remember the Governor General who was an Archbishop. Now we have all the stories about how the churches have dealt with children. Morals are something normal people have not anything to do with religion.

Morals are something normal people have not anything to do with religion.

This is a question brought up with monotonous regularity by Christian apologetics. If you don't follow the Bible, where do you get your morals from? I always answer this argument the same way:

1. Moral behaviour stems from the concept of "empathy", which is innate in most humans and we even observe it in some animals (especially the other primates).

2. It is strongly reinforced by your early upbringing as a child when you are learning behaviours towards others (e.g., stop teasing your brother, say please and thank you, etc etc).

3. If you can't behave morally as an adult without being re-instructed on how to do it every week, I'm very concerned for your future.

This is a question brought up with monotonous regularity by Christian apologetics. If you don't follow the Bible, where do you get your morals from? I always answer this argument the same way:

1. Moral behaviour stems from the concept of "empathy", which is innate in most humans and we even observe it in some animals (especially the other primates).

2. It is strongly reinforced by your early upbringing as a child when you are learning behaviours towards others (e.g., stop teasing your brother, say please and thank you, etc etc).

3. If you can't behave morally as an adult without being re-instructed on how to do it every week, I'm very concerned for your future.

Yep and there have been anthropological research comparisons made with cultures who have no religion ( there are some primitive tribal cultures with no religion) and also cultures with no specific God figure ( many follow the concept of multiple spirits who live in natural features -trees, rivers, etc but which have no interactions with people) and they all still have almost identical moral codes to those espoused by main religions.

The concepts of moral codes are without any doubt innate in humans. While the big religions claim to profer them as somehow intrinsic to just their teachings there are many peoples who do exactly the same good things to others without the horrors and hypocrisy that are also tied to religions.

This tends to be done by religions and faiths which have gone off at a tangent, often with a money making strategy.

If you look at the religious groups at the time Jesus the Christ was living, and before, you don't see that.

The Ebionites didn't espouse it

The Essenes, the ultra-conservative Jews didn't espouse it. They were the ones who wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls at Qumran which have been gradually translated since 1948.

The Nasoreans who emerged, or were part of the Essenes didn't espouse it. Membership of the Nasoreans was only through choice in adulthood.

Jesus the Christ, who was a Nasorean, who went around lecturing on the religion came close but really was suggesting that people should do good and kind things.

The Viracochas of South America, thousands of years before had also suggested people should do good things and treat other people well.

Much of the confusion and opportunity for charlatans came in the poor translation of the original Old Testament where the core was 22 Jewish texts, starting with the translation from Hebrew to Aramaic just before or around the time of Jesus.

For example "Not of this world" didn't mean "Heaven", just the people who were not the non-believers.

This tends to be done by religions and faiths which have gone off at a tangent, often with a money making strategy.

I agree, and I wish many more moderate Christians would speak out strongly against them, but alas, it tends not to flow that way (we clearly see this in Muslim culture too). There are a few too many who take the hands-off strategy, theorising that "yeah.....bit extreme.....but I guess he's still supporting my faith so I best not say anything".

I like jesus because in the bible it says jesus tuned the water into wine ,he could not have thought that badly about.I like my wine.Its good for your mind body and soul.

Allegedly Jesus was peeved that the Priests were drinking wine and the scum in the pulpits were drinking water at communion so Jesus said we should all be in on the pissup and that's the foundation of it.

The details may be off, but you get the gist of it.

Allegedly Jesus was peeved that the Priests were drinking wine and the scum in the pulpits were drinking water at communion so Jesus said we should all be in on the pissup and that's the foundation of it.

The details may be off, but you get the gist of it.

Yes and all his disciples and merry men lived happily ever after.Amen.spacer.png