Atheist knowledge

Gnarly Gnu

There's nothing wrong with the quality of Australian BS sensors. The problem lies with our greatest Australian shortcoming - apathy. Somewhere in a previous post, there are stats quoted that indicate that the majority of Australians are not theists. I think that the majority are apathetic to the point of excessively tolerant of differing views (whether those relate to religion or politics). We are not motivated enough to get interested in either unless they impact directly on our footy, cricket or drinking habits.

I cynically view the antics of our political leaders and our religious leaders with equal distain, mixed with a vague amusement which only arises from curiosity about what their next amazing (or immoral) move or revelation might be.

It seems that regardless of the idealism of each individual that enters those careers, most of them end up not representing the interests of their constituents and by then are beyond the control of a mere pleb such as me.

... or you might get 20 elderly virgins. Maybe not such a good deal?rgmwa

Turn up at the pearly gates and find it leads to a nunnery...

Come to think of it I wonder what the twenty virgins think about it.

Well, you see, they were very bad virgins and for them, this is hell.

There's nothing wrong with the quality of Australian BS sensors. The problem lies with our greatest Australian shortcoming - apathy. Somewhere in a previous post, there are stats quoted that indicate that the majority of Australians are not theists. I think that the majority are apathetic to the point of excessively tolerant of differing views (whether those relate to religion or politics). We are not motivated enough to get interested in either unless they impact directly on our footy, cricket or drinking habits.

We're motivated enough to write a sternly-worded comment on social media.

Switzerland has an interesting version of democracy where the general public are a lot more involved in the law-making process than here. I certainly think we need better representation than the current 2 party system (or protest votes going to minor parties). No point saying "go start your own party if you don't like the others" - we don't all have the time or inclination to be politicians, not to mention things like public speaking skills. But surely with the technology available now there are ways to involve the population more with the governance of our country.

A PRIEST AND A RABBI.

A priest and a rabbi were sitting next to each other on an airplane.

After a while, the priest turned to the rabbi and asked,

“Is it still a requirement of your faith that you not eat pork?”

The rabbi responded, “Yes, that is still one of our laws.”

The priest then asked, “Have you ever eaten pork?”

To which the rabbi replied,

“Yes, on one occasion I did succumb to temptation and tasted a ham sandwich.”

The priest nodded in understanding and went on with his reading.

A while later, the rabbi spoke up and asked the priest,

“Father, is it still a requirement of your church that you remain celibate?”

The priest replied, “Yes, that is still very much a part of our faith”

The rabbi then asked him,

“Father, have you ever fallen to the temptations of the flesh?”

The priest replied,

“Yes, rabbi, on one occasion I was weak and broke my Faith.”

The rabbi nodded understandingly and remained silent, and sat thinking, for about five minutes.

Finally, the rabbi said,

“Beats the shite out of a ham sandwich, doesn't it?”

A lot of people are fooled by s116. There is no separation of church and state in the Australian Constitution and the high court has confirmed that on more than one occasion IIRC.

That's far from the fact. There were requirements in the UK for instance that no public servant could be a catholic. That does not apply in Australia for reasons of separation of church and state.

Funny thing it is catholic dominated countries like France and Italy that have the greatest separation of church and state due in large art to Napoleon - one of the good things he did as opposed to the murder of millions and making the French, Europe and by example USA drive on the wrong side of the road. Imagine what the world would be like if Napoleon wasn't a left-hander?

But back to topic. The High Court has interpreted s116 in the narrowest way possible. This is what enables the Government to fund church schools that would be prohibited in the USA by virtually the same words in their constitution.

It boils my blood that governments fund Christian, Islamic and Jewish schools that work to divide the community and reinforce ancient superstitions. What next a State funded School for Scientologists?

What a dopey statement . Even using the outdated term "Heathens". .Religion shouldn't be emphasised in full time schools. If you give aid to one you must give it to the lot and how do you control the rubbish some go on with,? (scientology being a good example) . Nev

That is more descriptive (even though many on this thread have said it IS a religion, which I utterly refute) The point is really that it divides us enough and we need more inclusiveness so a school for atheists would not be acceptable either. It is well known that religions know that getting pliable minds at the right time is essential. that is why the strong push into education and the Saudi's fund madrassa's all over the world. Nev

It boils my blood that governments fund Christian, Islamic and Jewish schools that work to divide the community and reinforce ancient superstitions. What next a State funded School for Scientologists?

This was the stone that was thrown Dutch, from the atheist corner.

Personally, I don't have a problem if the State Governments analyse the cost of educating a child, and provide an equal cost to a Religious or independent school PROVIDED the standard of education of all schools brings the child to an equal level of preparedness and qualification for a start at University, or whatever career path the child has chosen.

Financially, that means that the taxpayer pays the same amount to get a student to University age, whether by State School or Public School. so there shouldn't be any financial argument (other than from the hating zealots).

A lot of this thread has been wasted by fatuous quotations from the Bible, wherever people could find something silly/lost in translation/clearly wrong, or where certain religions had behaved badly.

Church schools offer a much broader foundation than that, teaching culture and values in life than an atheist culture doesn't do.

It's a free choice in Australia - you can take the State School path or the Public School path and the difference doesn't result in mass killings.

HOWEVER:

One of the achilles heels of Parliaments, and the Westminster system is that governments tend to work on the issues of the day, and never go back after issues and emergencies are solved and remove the legislation, so we have this heavier and heavier burden on out taxpayer wallets. From time to time there are pro-active governments which set up "razor gangs", or start a policy of removing one old ACT for every new one, building "sunset" clauses into Acts etc.

In general terms though, our taxes are increasingly soaked up by people ready to spend our money on this thought bubble or that, on refugees who are driving around in BMWs and Audis, on roads which are not essential, on public transport which has not been optimised.

I would like to see a permanent advisory committee with the skills to be able to advise the government just what of our money should be spent where.

Church schools offer a much broader foundation than that, teaching culture and values in life than an atheist culture doesn't do.

I lived for 15 years in Chambers Flat Rd Marsden with Marsden High School 50 meters straight across the road and Marsden Primary school 500 meters around the corner from my house.

My 2 eldest Daughters completed Marsden Primary and years 7 - 8 and 7 respectively at Marsden High. At the start of years 9 and 8 for the elders, and my youngest Daughter's year 4, I transferred all 3 to Trinity College/St Josephs Primary in Beenleigh believing the education standard would be higher at a Private school.

Bollshite it was and from my personal experience able to directly compare both, bollshite to your comment. In fact in Qld, the lower class area schools such as Marsden excel in funding, programs and student pass standards. I would have put them back into Marsden High had we not also eventually moved to the Beenleigh area.

Also for the purpose of a (perceived) better education and better discipline, I was happy to accept that all 3 would have to have Bible instruction and go to Mass etc (whatever) and until that point in time they had never been to church in their lives. I gave them no instruction other than to explain what to expect and listen for the good moral teachings that can be found sometimes. To this day they do not "Believe" nor are any of them a part of any religion - no surprise for children that didn't have it drummed into them from birth. And no, not through my coaching either.

My Daughters are very well mannered, hard working, diligent, respectful, in one case a devoted loving Mum, etc, etc, - in fact, 3 of the finest heathens you could meet.

Turbo I don't know exactly what you mean by the above, but am guessing that you mean "that" rather than "than"

Are you saying that an atheist culture doesn't have cuktural teaching, or that it has lower or lesser values than a religious culture.

From what the press has been on about lately I can't see that religious schools have a good track record on cultural values. Most of the religions seem to be only interested in self perpetuation.