Irresponsible push bike riders.

Teckair

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in Holland for 14 years, where cyclists and cars get on quite well together (cyclists have insurance and a tiny number plate @ buggerall per annum) BUT , all motorists have been cyclists (and moped riders) first.....so they automatically have some empathy for the other....Car drivers need to get some perspective and give the two wheelers room.............

Yeh, I know how you feel. Bloody car drivers taking up the same amount of room as 10 bikes, choking up car parks with their behemoths, driving straight into roundabouts ignoring anyone else already there, waiting til a cyclist comes along (keeping to the left to let other drivers through) and then opening up the door to clean the cyclist up, overtaking a cyclist and then pulling over to the left to 1. avoid the oncoming car, 2. dive into the parking spot they have just spotted 3. taking the next left turn., driving down the wrong side of the road (because it seemed like a good idea at the time) Yes, I agree there are some really dopey cyclists but by far the greatest problem on the roads are motor vehicle drivers who think that a suit of armour and a ticket to drive entitles them to go out and commit Murder, Mayhem, Manslaughter, intimidation and out and out stupidity. Then of course are those who forgot to register their cars or have either never had licences or who have lost them. Then best of all, those over 0.02 and pissed like the rest. Get a grip, be cool, go flying instead.

Well unfortunately, the average cyclist still takes up the equivalent of one car space if not more, and yes cyclists still barge into roundabouts and through red lights, mostly, they do all the dumb things that car drivers do, with one big difference, and that is that they are more likely to be hurt doing it, and then they want it all to be someone else's fault. I have worked with triathletes that train regularly and frequently discussed the techniques the use on the road to ensure that they get a full car space of road, and what they do to piss drivers off. The only thing that surprises me now is that so few of them end up hurt, and when I hear about one on the news, I can't help wonder just what they did to contribute to their own injury. I cycle myself, and have done so without injury for around 30 years, but I do make every effort not to use more road than I need to, whether I'm entitled to or not.

It's called consideration, I suspect if more cyclists had some, it would be reciprocated more often.

I assume you may have seen a video that made the news a while ago, where a cyclist in Brisbane was hit from behind? Maybe he shouldn't have been hit, but from watching the video, you can see clearly that he was unnecessarily taking up a whole lane, with plenty of room to the left. He put himself in that position deliberately, got hurt, and made it someone else's fault. No sympathy from me.

Here are two good examples of cyclists deliberately put themselves in harms way (legally, in the middle of the lane), bear in mind that you could legally close your eyes and walk onto the freeway, because the law says pedestrians have right of way, but you'd have to be pretty stupid to do it,

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/dashboard-camera-captures-cyclists-crash-

http://www.smh.com.au/national/cyclist-hit-by-car-challenges-police-over-fine-video-evidence-20130906-2tb68.html

20140317-34x4s.html

There's been an orchestrated campaign against cyclists in Sydney for some time and I presume some other places, it is an issue as well . I find the whole thing a bit unpleasant as it's a pretty unbalanced contest if it comes to a confrontation.. I ride motorcycles and tin tops often turn right in front of you looking in your eye at the same time. My wife got serious injuries in Tassy when a car with trailer just pulled straight out from a site (not a road ) across the road (main street) and she had nowhere to go but into the vehicle. She was wearing a visibility vest and going quite slow. I approached the driver and he said he didn't see her. The copper said they give that as an excuse every time. Not good enough is it? Nev

There's been an orchestrated campaign against cyclists in Sydney for some time and I presume some other places, it is an issue as well . I find the whole thing a bit unpleasant as it's a pretty unbalanced contest if it comes to a confrontation.. I ride motorcycles and tin tops often turn right in front of you looking in your eye at the same time. My wife got serious injuries in Tassy when a car with trailer just pulled straight out from a site (not a road ) across the road (main street) and she had nowhere to go but into the vehicle. She was wearing a visibility vest and going quite slow. I approached the driver and he said he didn't see her. The copper said they give that as an excuse every time. Not good enough is it? Nev

Yes, one of the two times I have been hit while motorcycling, I was wearing fluoro pink wet weather gear, and the guy crossed double white lines to hit me head on, fortunately, evasive action on my part meant that my only injury was a bruised ankle. I have learned to make my safety, my responsibility, and it has served me well for the last 25 years of motorcycling. I get very annoyed when I see members of a certain motorcycle club for the elderly, riding their cruisers in the same manner they would drive their Volvo, and expecting to live.

Motor cyclist have responsabilities as well. I overtook a vehicle doing 80kph on the highway when I believed the road was clear. Just about to pull into my lane again when a bike appeared as if out of nowhere. There was no accident but as he passed I got the regimental finger salute.

When thinking on it the enviornmental conditions played a large part. The bike was predominitly black. The rider had a full black outfit.The road was black. The direct view in front was a mountain (almost black) with the sun partially behind. I saw the second bike about 100 metres behind before the first bike because he had his headlight on. No headlight was displayed on the first bike.

Bike riders have to think of their visibility!!

Maybe, but the road you thought was clear, wasn't, and you overtook..... THAT is what the problem was caused by. Regardless of your visibility concerns , YOU made the situation dangerous. Dark green cars are hard to see near dusk as well. Divided roads are much more safe. Nev

Well unfortunately, the average cyclist still takes up the equivalent of one car space if not more, and yes cyclists still barge into roundabouts and through red lights, mostly, they do all the dumb things that car drivers do, with one big difference, and that is that they are more likely to be hurt doing it, and then they want it all to be someone else's fault. I have worked with triathletes that train regularly and frequently discussed the techniques the use on the road to ensure that they get a full car space of road, and what they do to piss drivers off. The only thing that surprises me now is that so few of them end up hurt, and when I hear about one on the news, I can't help wonder just what they did to contribute to their own injury. I cycle myself, and have done so without injury for around 30 years, but I do make every effort not to use more road than I need to, whether I'm entitled to or not.It's called consideration, I suspect if more cyclists had some, it would be reciprocated more often.

I assume you may have seen a video that made the news a while ago, where a cyclist in Brisbane was hit from behind? Maybe he shouldn't have been hit, but from watching the video, you can see clearly that he was unnecessarily taking up a whole lane, with plenty of room to the left. He put himself in that position deliberately, got hurt, and made it someone else's fault. No sympathy from me.

Here are two good examples of cyclists deliberately put themselves in harms way (legally, in the middle of the lane), bear in mind that you could legally close your eyes and walk onto the freeway, because the law says pedestrians have right of way, but you'd have to be pretty stupid to do it,

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/dashboard-camera-captures-cyclists-crash-

http://www.smh.com.au/national/cyclist-hit-by-car-challenges-police-over-fine-video-evidence-20130906-2tb68.html

20140317-34x4s.html

While I understand your point here M6 I've often thought that the middle of the lane might be safer as it makes the car slow up and go around also it is more visible than scooting along the fog line, whereas riding along the fog line (as I do) tends to let cars think it's ok to do 100 straight past and nearly tickle your handlebars. I do understand the need for cyclists to be more considerate but remember a car might have a bad bike experience once a week or once a month depending on where and how often they drive whereas a bike can have a bad car experience on each ride and as has been said who comes off worst when things go south.

Having said that I would be ok with having a voluntary bike rego. I think if it was offered as a voluntary thing priced fairly with maybe a small number plate with a camera in it that it would be taken up by a fair amount of cyclists. I think the camera in the number plate would be a good move as otherwise the biker is giving up their anonymity without a promise of car drivers being responsible also. If the number plate cams became more widespread maybe we would see road users becoming a little More considerate to each other.

I don't think a compulsory rego system would be a good idea as it would sort of spoil it for under age riders and have other negative impacts. I do think that unregistered bike riders should still be able to be fined for not wearing a helmet. it is ridiculous the amount of people that ride without a helmet!

Fell off my bike on the weekend

- got squeezed between the car and kerb

- I can only guess the driver doesn't see me - despite a skinny bike lane painted along the side leading up to the roundabout... Where it occurred

Next time im hogging the WHOLE LANE!

Google SMIDSY. The most common excuse given in car vs motorcycle incidents. People who use it should be held accountable. As foe pushbikes hogging the lane, they are entitled to by law. I always rode toward the centre of the lane. That left me options when old blind drongo tried to run over me. If you are already riding in the gutter you have no options. A bit like flying really make yourself as safe as possible within what the regulations allow.

Cheers Geoff13

On a bike test (Motor) If you keep right over to the left they will chip you on it (the testing officer). Cars will just push you over. They do it anyhow if someone is coming the other way. Nev

Yeah, but on a motorcycle, if you are holding up traffic, you're riding wrong.

While I understand your point here M6 I've often thought that the middle of the lane might be safer as it makes the car slow up and go around also it is more visible than scooting along the fog line, whereas riding along the fog line (as I do) tends to let cars think it's ok to do 100 straight past and nearly tickle your handlebars. I do understand the need for cyclists to be more considerate but remember a car might have a bad bike experience once a week or once a month depending on where and how often they drive whereas a bike can have a bad car experience on each ride and as has been said who comes off worst when things go south.

Consider this scenario....you are riding along in the middle of the lane, the approaching car/truck sees you and goes around, the following vehicle hasn't seen you as you have been obscured by the first vehicle, and their room for evasive action may be limited by on coming traffic. If you feel it's safer, I think you really need to think about some other scenarios that could easily lead to your death......whether or not you were acting legally at the time.

The law about keeping as far as practicable to the left is quite clear (TORUM-Road Rules : applicable in 5 states of Australia)

What is "practicable" may well be debated by some.

"

Division 2 Keeping to the left

129 Keeping to the far left side of a road

(1) A driver on a road, other than a multi-lane road, must drive as near as practicable to the far left side of the road.

Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.

(2) This section does not apply to the rider of a motorbike.

(3) In this section—

road does not include a road-related area.

Note—

Section 129 requires the rider of a bicycle on a road, other than a multi-lane road, to drive as near as practicable to the far left side of the road. "

Doing just over the speed limit you will still be passed whether you are on a bike or driving a car. Riding wrong is not the issue. Being shoved off the road happens to both. Many cut in too early because they are either inconsiderate or not very good at judging distances .Nev

Nobody has even mentioned some of the gung-ho seniors who race along on mobility scooters, because that would need a large separate thread.But the way some of them drive, if the scooter dosen't get you, the Maltese Terrier riding shotgun probably will. spacer.png:scooter:spacer.png:scooter:spacer.png

[ATTACH]47461._xfImport[/ATTACH]

upload_2014-10-21_13-1-9.jpeg.af7af02d94853d80e179989b6daf86c8.jpeg

Consider this scenario....you are riding along in the middle of the lane, the approaching car/truck sees you and goes around, the following vehicle hasn't seen you as you have been obscured by the first vehicle, and their room for evasive action may be limited by on coming traffic. If you feel it's safer, I think you really need to think about some other scenarios that could easily lead to your death......whether or not you were acting legally at the time.

bollocks!!

I am not sure how smart the new bike laws are, which are when driving a car you are required to not get too close to them.

Yesterday I was driving in Bundaberg on a fairly quiet and wide back street and I was going to pass a bike rider going in the same direction and there was a car coming from the opposite direction. There was plenty of room for things to be done safely as far as road width goes. The bike was much closer to the middle of the road than it needed to be but there was still enough room for me to get past safely. As I was about to pass the bike moved over to the right and forced me onto the wrong side of the road. I was then head to head with with the car coming from the opposite direction. Lucky for me the car swerved to the left and a head on collision was avoided.

Bicycles have no registration or ID so there is nothing you can do, I am about to ring the police about it but have no confidence that will do anything.

To me it is sign of the times, stupidity rules.

Well,

It's funny how you see everyone else's faults but not your own...

I see that nothing I would say about bike riders would change the mind of majority of you, so let me translate that post into language you would understand:

I am not sure how smart the new ultralight laws are, which are when flying a RPT you are required to not get too close to them.

Yesterday I was flying to Bundaberg on a fairly quiet and wide back route and I was going to pass a jabiru going in the same direction and there was a 737 coming from the opposite direction. There was plenty of room for things to be done safely as far as vertical separation goes. The jabiru was much closer to the IFR level than it needed to be but there was still enough room for me to get past safely. As I was about to pass the Jabiru climbed over and forced me onto the wrong side air corridor. I was then head to head with with the 737 coming from the opposite direction. Lucky for me the 737 swerved to the left and a head on collision was avoided.

Ultralights have no transponders so there is nothing you can do, I am about to ring CASA about it but have no confidence that will do anything.

I can do the same for any other of your (not just Teckair but all in this topic) complaints.

Well,It's funny how you see everyone else's faults but not your own...

I see that nothing I would say about bike riders would change the mind of majority of you, so let me translate that post into language you would understand:

I can do the same for any other of your (not just Teckair but all in this topic) complaints.

I see what you are trying to say, but I think that translates poorly. My main issue here is that often bicycle riders (I'm one too), While acting within the law, do deliberately provoke confrontation when they could have been considerate. Yes, it cuts both ways, and in Queensland, most driver and cyclists seem to want to take up whatever space is available just because they can. I think that it is a dreadful trait, but when you are in/ on a small unprotected vehicle being right won't help if you're dead. Unfortunately, that is the bottom line.