Brain Teaser

red750

The shout was a CapsLock error. 

The questions posed in this topic are copied directly from a TV show which tests the logic powers of the contestants, not their knowledge or memory. They simply ask a questions which can be worked out logically, like a maths question, and unlike questions about Greek mythology or Shakespeare. If you don't like the questions, don't read this topic.

I've done a couple but some are just an eyesight test. At this stage of my life I'm not needing to play patience or do puzzles to fill the day in. Those who love it could find it on the net and I'm here mainly for aeroplane matters that is now a reducjng % of the content here.. Nev

Most of my stuff gets commented on, more often than not disagreeing with me. There are at least half a dozen members who appreciate the questions in this thread and answer them. I acknowledge that they are not the most mindbending conundrums ever asked, but given that they are asked under the pressure of a TV quiz, in front of 99 other contestants and an audience, and the moderator calling "Thirty seconds, time's up",  there is a degree of difficulty in understanding the question, identifying the logic and finding an answer.

Recap.

If all the numbers from 1 to 20 are written out in words and put into numerical order and then reorganised into alphabetical order, which is the only number to stay in the same position?

When I was in hospital recently someone came around as part of a prevention of delirium programme. They give you a booklet on delirium risks during hospital stays and ask questions about whether you are active in reading, watching TV, net surfing on the phone or social phone contact with friends and family. They also give you a big wad of brain teasers printed on A4 paper. General brain teasers and different puzzles to solve so you don't go loopy.

The nuimber is Five.

In alphabetical order, the numbers are:

Eight, eighteen, eleven, fifteen, five, Four, Fourteen nine, nineteen, one, seven, seventeen, six, sixteen, ten, thirteen, three, twelve, twenty, two. So five is the only number that retains its numerical position.

Why is FOQZ the odd one out in these sets of letters?

BCDEGPTV    AJK     FOQZ    IY

2 hours ago, red750 said:

The nuimber is Five.

Eight, eighteen, eleven, fifteen, five, Four, Fourteen nine, nineteen, one, seven, seventeen, six, sixteen, ten, thirteen, three, twelve, twenty, two. So five is the only number that retains its numerical position.

I see where I went wrong. I arranged them in alphabetical order based only on the first letter of each word and not the rest of the letters in a word. So with my method, all letters starting with F had equal placing.

3 hours ago, red750 said:

The nuimber is Five.

Why is FOQZ the odd one out in these sets of letters?

BCDEGPTV    AJK     FOQZ    IY

letters don’t rhyme.

• Like 1

No, I didn't pick up on your clue.

The FOQZ one was the last of the 1% Club ones until the next episode. In the meaantime, a few from elsewhere. These are more 'what you know' than 'how you think'.  First question:

Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.