Historic turnaround in Qld

Methusala

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you old codgers are down on the welfare state but consider how it effects your own behaviour. Without the welfare safety net no one would fly small aircraft for fun, the consequences without the safety net are too severe.

The USA is not a welfare state but they seem to do a lot of flying for fun.

The USA is not a welfare state but they seem to do a lot of flying for fun.

Welfare can come in many forms not just cash or kind handouts to the poor.

Paying farmers not to plant crops

Government subsidising exports

Waiving of rights to follow environmental laws

Perversion of strategic military sales controls to benefit US firms.

USA is guilty of all of these welfare slights of hand. Rupert had to become a US citizen yet US firms can plunder Australia from afar.

In the case of the poor, no, it is probably not a welfare state.

The general aviation industry in the US is dying fast, have a poke around any airfield in Australia and you will find some ex-US aircraft shipped here in the last 5 years.

Aircraft have always been imported from the USA. They like newer aircraft and we buy the stuff they don't want. If their industry is dying we have been dead for a long time! Hope to see you at Oshkosh this year.

Costello does the audit and works for the companies that buy(or lease) the assets Not a bad plan IF you get away with it. Nev

Do you know that for a fact Nev? Or is it a guess and you are presenting it as a fact? I notice this is not the first of those type of conspiracy statements you have made and I am wondering if you gave yourself the right name 'facthunter'?

Richard.

Guest Andys@coffs

I think the years where folk vote LNP cause they've always done that are gone, just like the bloke buying a ford cause he only ever buys fords........You buy the one that best suits.....or as a close analogy to the qld election yopu don't buy the one that you don't want again......I believe Labour didn't get voted in, rather the LNP got voted out.....Of course that is a fine approach if the other team are ready and raring to go.........which worries me, I don't think they thought a chance in hell of getting voted in and I therefore suspect that they wont really have a detailed plan.

The clowns in Canberra are all now panicking over the outcome and apparently ready to ditch the plan in favour of something....anything!!! I wonder if politics these days is eminently more sophisticated to the point that its now so stupid that any chance of a government governing seems lost!

Andy

Welfare is NOT a right at all.....as Howard says its a privlige of a prosperous country. I don't believe we or any country should cast aside the down trodden or people who can not find work. BUT we need to stop bleeding money the fairest way would be to use the old system of food stamps...everyone has to eat to survive.,..the next thing is housing...They all need to live somewhere and not on the streets, more housing needs to be made this will help employment of course. And everyone will need some sort of money so a stipend of say $40.00 per week for those who are on welfare or unemployed would be reasonable.

Think of how much work would be generated building accommodation and the infrastructure required to suit. And anyone sitting back bludging on the system is not going to like 40 bucks for cash but they can still eat and live somewhere. This would be an incentive for the bludgers to actually go out and get or search for a job at least....might be far less surfers on the coastal cities too then.

Its a huge problem...you also have the people who are genuinely disabled to think about this would require a somewhat different approach but I am sure it could be done and it would probably be better and much cheaper than what we have now.

I saw the Q&A with Jacquie that was really funny she didn't pull any punches...and yes she may not be my cup of tea but at least she has the balls to say what she thinks

and damn the rest

You can find out the companies he works with/for I'm not doing your work for you. I've gone to the trouble You say you are not disputing anything and then Highlight something that you are obviously disputing. If you and turbs want to call me a liar go ahead and prove it. I feel I don't deserve the insinuation. I have never tried to deceive anyone here or play games with their reputation(s). Nev

Costello's appointment to do the audit was pointed out as inappropriate when it was suggested, because of his involvement with interested bodies in an advisory capacity and other investment links, he would have "VESTED" interests and might not act impartially (or seen to be.) It was strongly suggested it would NOT be a good look.

It was over ruled and the Newman Gov't Justified and boasted of the good choice of Costello because of his sucessfull period as LNP Treasurer. There was plenty of comment at the time about all aspects of it

I don't believe idle gossip is what we are talking about. It isn't my usual stock in trade..Nev .

OK Nev, this is the way I remember it,

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/lnp-mps-gathering-for-what-is-expected-to-be-a-long-meeting-over-155-recommendations-made-by-peter-costello-audit-report/story-e6freoof-1226631411185?nk=5a915e5bfa88b4501eb6bc2fd6c31838

"There are no easy answers here. The money's gone out and the money's been spent," said Mr Costello.

"To get back to a triple A credit rating you've got to have a big payoff of debt."

The report's executive summary outlined the need for asset sales and widespread privatisation and outsourcing of government functions.

"The other alternatives are massive tax hikes or massive service cuts. That's what this government has been left with," Mr Costello said.

"They've been left with a big financial hole and if they want to fill it, if you want to retire debts you can increase taxes massively, cut services very significantly or do something to retire debt."

He said MPs in marginal seats concerned about the impact of asset sales on their political future should consider the alternatives.

"I think massive tax rises would be very poisonous, I think cutting back services would be very poisonous," Mr Costello said.

"You've got a menu here and most of the meals on the menu aren't that appetising."

I do not remember the vested interest comments could you provide a link to that please?

It's plainly obvious. Howard sold assets that produced healthy profits to feed consolidated revenue. That is to allow govt to provide services such as health, infrastructure (roads, bridges, railways etc. They were kicked out. Ms Bligh did the same with QR. She was bundled out. Campbell Newman attempted the same trick. He was given the boot. Abbott is trying the same trick. No one mentioned the plan to sell Medibank Private prior to the election. They will be kicked out also. It is obvious to blind Freddy that the Australians don't like the sale of productive assets at bargain basement prices to prop up an unsustainable political agenda. The next mob in will get the message, I hope. Don

No one individual knows fully the real situation on all of this Money buys opinion. Every move even by the side your allegiance is predisposed to should be subject to scrutiny. I try to find what is going on behind the scenes because most of what you are reading /listening to is pure BS ,based on self interest. Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom, but follow the money trail is he best method of finding out just what is going on in political and international commercial situations . Corruption would be a good consideration initially in classifying what is happening. Nev

Guest Howard Hughes

In Asia and Africa corruption is overt, back at home we like to do it a little more subversively. Make no mistake all politicians are at it to varying degrees, regardless of their political persuasion.

all rights are legal rights

Unfortunately, we have very few "rights" in our society and a great many legal obligations.

Most civilised countries have a suite of citizens' rights enshrined in their Constitution. We have none in ours. The only rights we have as a nation are those inferred by the High Court or reduced into domestic law because we have become a signatory to an international Convention such as the Convention on the Rights of the Child which is reflected to a small extent in the Family Law Act.

Kaz