Sanctions against Russia

Bruce Tuncks

The interviews that I have seen show the Russians turning to Vlad to protect them from this further Western aggression. And I saw one senior Russian commentator today calling for fascist Germany to be wiped from the face of the earth.

• Sad 1

I don't know why I haven't noticed it before, but the narrow section in the middle of the Ukrainian Kursk incursion heading north towards Kromskie looks very much like a middle finger. Up yours, putler.

GVdnkMxWIAAqRKp.jpg

GUu0MdaWYAEi-fF.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In Putanas case that would be ...

6 litres av. times the world population minus himself.

Like ego, money and power for him, no amount of blood is ever too much.

Unless it's his blood, in which case a pin prick would make him scream.

• Like 1

According to Ukraine's President Zelensky, their new domestic long range rocket drone was successfully used in combat on Saturday. It only took 18 months to develop and get to the production stage. Most specs of the 'Palianytsia' are classified but they released a video saying it is ground launched and powered by a turbojet. They are saying there are two dozen Russian military airfields within it's range.

united24-releases-the-appearance-of-the-palianytsia-missile-v0-HqBt_B_2VQLlFyuBYRnMnOL-1lUbY4568CHxsHFVPb8.png

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Mick Ryan has a new book out, 'The War For Ukraine - Strategy and Adaptation Under Fire'. It's a story that probably still has a long way to go but I wouldn't mind getting a copy. I'm sure it would be an interesting read as his opinions and analysis are always good to read.

mr.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Russia targeted all of Ukraine with missiles and drones early Monday morning. Much of the attack targeted Kiev. So reports the Ukrainian military.

The anti-aircraft defense over Kiev reportedly defused as many as 10 Russian missiles before they could even do any damage. Russia did not yet communicate about the attack, but it is already clear that there were casualties. Casualties were reported in western Lutsk, eastern Dnipro and southern Zaporizhzhia.

• Informative 2

Ukrainian F-16s Shine in First Combat, Halting Russian Attack

Russia has launched massive airstrikes on Ukraine, deploying a wide array of weaponry. Among the most dangerous were cruise missiles, targeted by Ukraine's newly acquired F-16 fighter jets.

These aircraft, recently delivered to Ukraine, played a crucial role in countering the Russian threat, according to Polish website tech.wp.pl.

Read more here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kgwilson said:

One story is he was shot down by one of Ukraines own missiles & that led to Zelenskyy giving the top man the sack.

I hadn't read that story. I was wondering why he sacked the air force chief. Zelensky said something about having to protect their pilots, so that's likely what he was referring to.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ukrainian paratroopers triumph in tank battles around Kursk

They seized some of Russia's best weapons
On August 6th, Ukraine launched an invasion of Russia's Kursk region, surprising the world and achieving several swift victories. One of the most remarkable aspects of the invasion has been the number of tanks Ukrainian forces have captured.

View slideshow here

I saw some video a while back of the Ukrainians floating captured Russian tanks and other heavy equipment back to Ukraine. They seem fairly well organised. In Soviet times, a lot of the tanks were built in Kharkiv. I think the tank plant is still operating there.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

On 09/09/2024 at 8:58 AM, onetrack said:

The bottom line is, tanks are now a liability in war, it's drones that carry the punch now. The mob who can produce the best and deadliest drones, will win this war.

Xcrement is account walled so this is a cut and paste of a post by David Kirichenko, a Ukrainian-American journalist who spoke with a tank crew:

I spoke with a tank crew fighting in the battle for Toretsk. Here is what they told me about how tank warfare.

“The Era of the Cautious Tank”

In the forested areas surrounding the burning frontline town of Toretsk in Eastern Ukraine, the thunderous roar of artillery and the constant buzz of drones paint a vivid picture of the front in Donetsk Oblast. Here, soldiers from Ukraine’s 28th Separate Mechanized Brigade await orders for their T-64s, although their powerful machines now play a different role in a rapidly evolving war.

“What I enjoy most about driving a tank is when you sit down and drive, and you feel the power of the tank — it’s as if the enemy can’t do anything to you,” says 23-year-old Bohdan, callsign Vendetta. A tank operator since the full-scale invasion began in 2022, Bohdan’s faith gives him courage in the face of danger. However, the invincibility he once felt in his armored behemoth is being challenged by a new threat: drones.

Victor, known as Bee, commented: “Tanks aren’t as effective as they once were. It’s rare for us to see tank-on-tank action now.” This shift is so pronounced that even advanced Western tanks, like the US-provided M1A1 Abrams, have been pulled from the frontline due to their vulnerability to drone attacks.

The sky above the Ukrainian positions is a constant battleground of its own. Enemy and friendly drones crisscross the airspace, hunting for valuable targets like heavy armor and artillery. This aerial cat-and-mouse game has fundamentally altered tank tactics.

“The Russians aren’t idiots. They also understand our drones are hunting their tanks,” Bohdan says. This mutual threat has made both sides more cautious about deploying their armored units. “In 2024, you can have a $500 FPV drone take out a tank worth millions,” he adds, highlighting the cost-effectiveness of this new warfare.

In response to the drone threat, tank crews on both sides have begun improvising. “Many people laughed at the Russians for welding plates and additional armor on their tanks [widely known as turtle tanks, for their appearance], but we’ve started doing the same to protect against enemy drones,” Bohdan says. However, he’s quick to point out that no amount of added armor can defend against everything, especially the ever-present danger of landmines.

The unit was previously stationed in Kherson in 2022, where Bohdan says there were many fewer drones. Now on the Donetsk front, battles are artillery- and drone-dominated.

The unit currently operates modernized T-64s, a Soviet-era vehicle updated in 2017. They’ve equipped the tanks with jammers to counter drones, though these are not foolproof. “It’s not guaranteed that the jammer will protect against all drones as they can operate at different frequencies,” Victor says. As the nature of combat changes, so too does the role of tanks on the battlefield. “Tanks have become a second priority in war,” Bohdan observes. “It’s now a war of artillery, drones, and infantry.” Instead of spearheading assaults, tanks are increasingly used more like mobile artillery, providing fire support from safer distances.

The evolution of tank warfare brings with it new challenges. Victor, who has experience with the older Leopard I models provided by Germany, highlights the difficulties in operating foreign equipment. “We’ve struggled with manuals as everything is in German,” he says and adds that some of the older donated tanks lack adequate armor for current threats. Moreover, ammunition shortages further limit the effectiveness of tanks. The crew expresses frustration at having to ration their shells, reducing their impact even when they do engage. “Tanks will still be around in the future, but FPV drones have changed tank warfare forever,” Victor concludes.

• Informative 3

The Russians have been trying to replace their main intercontinental ballistic missile, the R-36 (NATO SS-18 Satan), with their home grown RS-28 'Sarmat' heavy ICBM. The Satan was Ukrainian designed, built and maintained for Russia by Ukraine until the war started in 2014. From 2014 onward, Russian technicians were supposedly using cannibalised parts from 'stored by treaty' decommissioned SS-18s to keep the ICBM force operational. To build the new RS-28 missile, Russia had to reverse engineer Satan's Ukrainian missile technology to make Russian knock-off technology and supposedly uprated engines.

To cut a long story short, the Sarmat was supposed to be operational in 2021 but they've had their fourth failed test attempt of the combat operational stage RS-28. The latest one blew up in the silo. putler's big stick.

188048cf64de162156e986f2bb9e9543.png

• Informative 2