Sanctions against Russia

Bruce Tuncks

Ret. Lt Gen. Mark Hertling explains why Ukraine won't be getting Patriot missiles any time soon. Not only are they in short supply, it takes a year to train operators of the Patriot system, plus the Patriot system comprises multiple integrated units - and the missiles are US$5M EACH!

Hertling comes on at 4m 15secs into the interview.

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 2

2 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

Looking at those AN-2s, reminds me how much the USSR depended on the ingenuity and enterprise of people from Ukraine, like Antinov and Korolev. 

No wonder Putin wanted this industrial powerhouse back under his control.

Don't take off behind one in. lighter aircraft - their wake turbulence is enough to down lighter aircraft and sadly took the life of those in a Jodel: 

(Sorry - can't find the English version)

Back to the war...  One thing that has surprised me if the open support from the Russian population in general. I guess patriotism, nationalism, the need to eat, have a roof and not be locked up, tortured, and/or killed plays a role. However, there seem to still be a genuinely large percentage of the population that still support the Russian invasion despite all of the shenanigans and obviously poor propaganda... I think it can only be similar to those who double down on their opinions when those opinions are contradicted by facts.. Apparently when presented with evidence that conflicts with beliefs , it activates the same cortexes and other brain areas that are sensitive to pain and the reaction is to address the pain...

Whoever said the human body was a perfect example of engineering has yet to convince me.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Even the Liberals in Russia are rather ambiguous about things. A lot of people who are against the war oppose it for reasons of self interest. Very few could care less about the killing of Ukrainians, but they don't want their economy and lifestyle to suffer and they don't want their own relatives to die fighting. Sympathy for Ukraine hardly enters into it.

• Informative 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

Looking at those AN-2s, reminds me how much the USSR depended on the ingenuity and enterprise of people from Ukraine, like Antinov and Korolev. 

No wonder Putin wanted this industrial powerhouse back under his control.

In a lot of ways, Oleg Antonov was probably more Ukrainian than Russian. He was Russian and spent more of his life living in Russia than he did in Ukraine. But after the Antonov Design Bureau was relocated from Siberia to Ukraine in 1952, by the time he died he had spent more time designing aircraft in Ukraine than he had designing in Russia. After moving to Ukraine, he was very loyal to the Ukrainian SSR and was vocal in protesting against discrimination against Ukrainian literature and culture.

I recon there's two big things that Soviet Russia would have regretted - moving Antonov to Ukraine in 1952 and gifting Crimea to Ukraine in 1954.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Another example of Russia relying on Ukrainian technology is Ivchenko engines, used in a wide variety of Russian aircraft and helicopters. The chairman of Motor Sich, the company that builds the engines, has just recently been arrested and charged with treason. He was accused of continuing to covertly sell engines to Russia after the Ukrainian sanctions on Russia came into effect in 2014.

• Informative 3

With respect to crude  propaganda, it is amazing just how effective it can be. Both my mother-in-law and Harry Schneider were quite smart people, but even  50 years after the war, they still believed the crudest and most stupid propaganda ever. Harry went to his grave in 2010 or thereabouts, still believing the Poles started WW2. My mother-in-law, still going strong, told me seriously, that the WW2 Japanese planes were " crude things made from sticks and rags".  She will die thinking that, and I tried but could not shake her convictions enough to research the zero and stuff.  She thinks she knows more about the subject on account of " being there".

Not so the real servicemen. They nearly revolted when the Australian Supremo ( Blaimey ) told the New Guinea troops that the Japanese were just a bunch of monkeys and the only danger would be if you were running away from them and exposing your back.

Edited by Bruce Tuncks
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

I never tried to put Harry Schnieder straight. He was really angry with those poles and clearly not likely to entertain any different story. But I looked it up, and found that the eastern parts of Germany had been subject to intense propaganda  before the attack on Poland. The locals were told that the german-speaking poles were being persecuted and needed saving.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

…the eastern parts of Germany had been subject to intense propaganda  before the attack on Poland. The locals were told that the german-speaking poles were being persecuted and needed saving.

That’s Putin’s long-term strategy- not very original, but it works.

During Soviet times lots of Russians were settled in outer republics, sometimes after the locals were culled by deliberate famine or shipped off to Siberia. A couple of generations later, claiming to be persecuted, they call in Russian troops. 
The tiny Baltic states have quite a problem with Russian settlers who resent learning the local language. No wonder they have joined NATO.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Don't take off behind one in. lighter aircraft - their wake turbulence is enough to down lighter aircraft and sadly took the life of those in a Jodel…

A timely reminder. Too easy to forget about the invisible killer that could be miles behind a heavy aircraft.

My little Jodel shares our airport with several spray planes, which have to displace about seven tonnes of air to get off the ground. 

• Like 2

I was working at a client site in teh Czech Republic in '97 and thought I would try my very scan Russian on a local. He looked right through me, steeley-eyed and dis not even acknowledge let alone respond. I apologised for my ingornace and he let me know in no uncertain terms what they thought of the Russians and why. He then went on to whip my posterior at a game of tennis.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

The Russian Ministry of Defence has confirmed that yesterday Ukraine carried out a drone attack on the Engels and Dyagilevo air bases. They are saying three ground crew were killed and four wounded, as well as two aircraft damaged. It would be worrying for Russia as these bases are deep inside Russian territory, and are bases used by the long range bombers to launch missiles at Ukraine. Engels is on the Volga River, north east of Volgograd, and Dyagilevo is not far south east of Moscow.

This photo is reportedly a Tu-22M3 bomber damaged at Dyagilevo.

FjPANyLXwA8bibL.png

FjPPW1TXEBcKqb4.png

Edited by willedoo
  • Informative 1