Well known personalities who have passed away recently (Renamed)

onetrack

7 hours ago, old man emu said:

Bad luck, cause the death of those we know always causes trauma. Don't you get a pang of sadness when another name is added to this list? You might not know the well-known personality personally, but they are part of your life. Do you really feel the same pang of sadness when you hear on the news that people in some far-off land have died in some catastrophe?

Of course, there will be people (hopefully) who mourn our passing. I was referring to innocent bystanders who shouldn't be traumatised from seeing a random stranger crashing and dying in front of them. But, somehow, I think you knoew that...

• 3 weeks later...

Joan Benedict, a regular star of Allan Funts "Candid Camera", and widow of Rod Steiger, has died aged 96 from complications resulting from a stroke.

She wore out 3 husbands, all of them dying from some form of cancer. She was only married to Rod Steiger for 2 years before he died.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/joan-benedict-dead-candid-camera-rod-steiger-1235940998/

After his performance in The Pawnbroker in 1964, in which he played an embittered Jewish Holocaust survivor working as a pawnbroker in New York City, he portrayed an opportunistic Russian politician in David Lean's Doctor Zhivago (1965).

Richard Simmons has died aged 76.

The fitness guru’s passing is being reported by TMZ, who said law enforcement sources had said they and fire department officials responded to a call from his housekeeper from his Los Angeles home just before 10am on Saturday (13.07.24) and pronounced him dead at the scene.

His death falls a day after his 76th birthday – and came after he announced in March he had been diagnosed with skin cancer.

RichardSimmons.thumb.jpg.b1725c747d62dc8a0e14ad6f188e68ba.jpg

My Dad died from Melanoma, it's a horrible way to die. He had a small skin cancer lump on the side of his face, right in front of his right ear. He had it removed when he was around 70. At 78, it came back, bigger and better than ever. He left it too late to see the Doc. The Doc called the brother and myself in and told us it was probably too late, it had spread to his lymph gland in his neck directly below - but he was going to operate on him, anyway. 

The Doc ended up taking a massive chunk out of his face and neck and left him disfigured. I know the Doc was desperate and trying to do his best, but it was wasted effort. He got Dad to undergo severe radiation treatment, but it was so bad, Dad gave it up. He only lasted about 9 mths after the operation, and the last 2-3 months was hell for him - bedridden with a morphine injector strapped to his stomach.

I can remember him asking us to shoot him to put him out of his misery, and we were appalled - but it probably would have been the best thing, in retrospect. You wouldn't let a dog suffer like that.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

A recently study, funded by the Cancer Council of Australia, and carried out at Sydney University, found that daily doses of about 1000 mg of vitamin B3 reduces the occurrence of those less dangerous skin cancers, whose names I don't remember, by about 25% after 12 months. The researchers, having found that, are now investigating if vitamin B3 is useful against melanoma, but it's early days yet.

I've got that white Celtic skin type, so I'm taking the suggested dose. It's only been a few weeks, so nothing to report.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, onetrack said:

OME, you sure you got that doseage rate correct?

Yes. The correct compound is nicotinamide, which is different from niacin. Besides, my GP actually wrote a script for me to make sure that I got the correct one.

Here's a report on the research, https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/news/the-role-of-vitamin-b3-in-reducing-non-melanoma-skin-cancer/

• Informative 2