Well known personalities who have passed away recently (Renamed)

onetrack

I don't often open this thread - because it generally depresses me.

But I  came here hoping to see a

Well known (orange) personality who might have passed away recently

Alas, no such luck.

• Haha 3

Bob Newhart, the deadpan accountant-turned-comedian who became one of the most popular TV stars of his time after striking gold with a classic comedy album, has died at 94.

Jerry Digney, Newhart's publicist, says the actor died Thursday in Los Angeles after a series of short illnesses.

Newhart, best remembered now as the star of two hit television shows of the 1970s and 1980s that bore his name, launched his career as a standup comic in the late 1950s.

Newhart portrayed the children's science presenter, Professor Proton, on the show The Big Bang Theory.

bobnewhart.thumb.jpg.4fbbd140991d9f622c046a6faf38808f.jpg

• Informative 2

Legendary British Blues Rock musician, John Mayall has died aged 90. He is often described as the Godfather of British Blues and influenced many of the greats. People like John McVie of Fleetwood Mac fame and the great Eric Clapton began their careers with the band he formed called the Bluesbreakers in the early 60s.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Ray Lawler, the playwright who wrote "Summer of the Seventeenth Doll" in 1953 has died at age 103!

Ray Lawler was the former artistic director of the Melbourne Theatre Company, and a renowned playwright.

He was awarded an OBE in 1980 and an OA in 2023. Just squeaking in an OA at age 102 must be some kind of record!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-07-28/playwright-ray-lawler-dies-aged-103/104152548

• Informative 1

It would be good to see  stage production of Summer of the Seventeenth Doll  with an all-Australian cast. The film version was made as an English-American project and is bloody awful since the actors spoke in with their native accents, and the script was altered for the movie. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_of_the_Seventeenth_Doll_(1959_film)

Although the story originated in the early 1950s, some minor updating of some common words of the time might help it please a modern audience. I think that the concept of the story itself is timeless.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...