Crikey it’s wet

pmccarthy

• 1 month later...

Raining with big thunderstorm around Port Stephens. More lightning than rain though.

I love a big thunderstorm ⛈️, always fun on a boat. Except when the supplies need filling.

You really have to want that burger or beer 🍻.

Only big issue is if we get too much rain, then large amounts of runoff brings nutrients, mud, coal dust and debris into the port. The fish and crabs hate it and can take weeks to improve the water quality.

That and the oyster farmers get screw with no sales.

• Informative 1

Yesterday a big dark storm arrived over Dubbo about 5:00 pm. The storm cell was so dense it reduced the light intensity to what it would be at 5:00 pm in mid-winter. The lights of the supermarket I was walking to really stood out. Of course, the cloud cover was 10/10 at a low level. The darkness and cloud cover reminded me of being in England at this time of year and going into ASDA (one of the big English supermarkets) late in the afternoon in daylight and coming out an hour or so later in darkness. 

• Informative 1

31 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I warned you at 2.16.  PM.  Nev

I was in the shower then, getting ready to go to Dubbo, and was logged out of here. When I got home that evening, I saw that there had been a massive downpour there. I'm going to leave the Christmas preparation lawn mowing for a few days to give the grass a chance to benefit from the rain and its dissolved nitrates. It is amazing how what looks to be dying can boom just a few hours after a bit of rainfall.

I also had to open the vent of my water harvesting system because my tanks runneth over.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

No use letting the grass I want go to seed. It's Buffalo and most commercially available Buffalo grass produces male sterile seeds, which will not grow. It's easier to buy a roll or two of Buffalo and plant runners from it. Once the runners establish themselves they will soon spread and make a complete coverage. The hard part, especially where rainfall is not abundant, is to keep the grass from burning off.

Oddly enough, although enough rolls are sold annually to cover great swathes of residential land, it is considered a weed  in Victoria, Western Australia, New South Wales, South Australia and south-eastern Queensland, but Not declared or considered noxious by any state government authorities.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

Buffalo builds up "thickness" and maybe needs a "hard cut" occasionally. We had it at the family home in Adamstown and I had the job of mowing it with a push cylinder mower. I've not seen how it goes in larger open areas where rain can be a bit less predictable than on the East Coast and a fair bit of topsoil..   Nev

• Like 1

Floods aren't quite as bad as the total destruction of fires, but they can make a big mess. The Lion's Den Hotel in FNQ went under and a swag of people had to be rescued from the roof by helicopter. It's one of those quirky pubs that has a million things hanging on the wall, a lot of it very old. All that stuff would be messed up from the floodwater. The best you could do is try to secure the doors and windows so that all the contents don't wash away. But what a job it would be to clean that lot up and get back to normal.

Lions-Den-Hotel-3.png

Lions-Den-Hotel-6.png

There were 16 people trapped on the roof of the pub and the rescue chopper was a local mustering two seater Robinson 22. He made 16 trips back and forth in the pouring rain to rescue them. Apart from those 16, a local in a tinny saved another two people stuck in trees.

• Informative 2

It's nice to have a bit of rain here for a change as it's been as dry as a wooden god for a few months now. A couple of recent storm rains were around 15mm each and 42mm last night has really cooled the hot weather down. Today was ten degrees cooler than the day before.

Edited by willedoo
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

We've had the hottest and driest end to Spring and start to Summer that I can recall for a long time.

We've had no rain worth mentioning for nearly two months since we got just over 8mm over the first three days of October.

What has been worse has been a bout of ferocious S/Easterly and Easterly hot winds for the last 3 or 4 weeks.

Our Christmas Day is forecast to be 22 to 33, humid, and not a skerrick of rain in sight. It is going to cool down a little during the coming week.

http://www.bom.gov.au/wa/forecasts/perth.shtml

• Informative 2