Crikey it’s wet

pmccarthy

Looks like we're in for a bit of rain in the next couple of days, but the heavy flooding rain is forecast to stay lower than here, mainly Gold Coast area. I recorded my driest year last year in 35 years on the block, 29.7 inches, the only year with a total starting with the number two. Bearing in mind it's only 8mm short of 30" and I would have spilled more than that over the year measuring it, so I can call it 30. Ten inches of that total fell in the last month; things were looking grim at the start of December.

• Informative 1

26 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

And the irony is ' Very few people ' will try to catch & save any rain water. 

The Bradfield Scheme, a proposed Australian water diversion scheme, is an inland irrigation project that was designed to irrigate and drought-proof much of the western Queensland interior, as well as large areas of South Australia. It was devised by Dr John Bradfield (1867–1943), a Queensland born civil engineer, who also designed the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Brisbane's Story Bridge.

The scheme that Bradfield proposed in 1938 required large pipes, tunnels, pumps and dams. It involved diverting water from the upper reaches of the Tully, Herbert and Burdekin rivers.These Queensland rivers are fed by the monsoon, and flow east to the Coral Sea. It was proposed that the water would enter the Thomson River on the western side of the Great Dividing Range and eventually flow south west to Lake Eyre. An alternative plan was to divert water into the Flinders River.

Unfortunately for Bradfield, he didn't have the best of data relating to the amount of water produced annually by the tropical rains; the level of evaporation in inland Queensland, and the topography the water would have to pass through from east to west. The idea has been reviewed several times since Bradfield proposed it, and each review has concluded that while the idea is laudable, it is not practical.  A 2022 CSIRO investigation found the scheme to be completely non-viable due to a lack of reliable water. I wonder what they think this Christmas Season.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

AND

A Queensland developer who cleared a very large tract of land to make an " inland sea " ,

Copped a huge fine for bulldozing shrubbery into Creek' creeks . Even though those creeks would be under water at a later date .

Same as the man. Who " much to the relief of the townspeople "  ( got rid of the mossies), removed a swamp Area , to build a " port & harbour " , was also chastised by government. 

He ( owned ) a " Whitsunday island " before this .

spacesailor

• Informative 1

IS,  it a thing now.

I didn't think it went any further.  

But the idea of an inland sea , would  be a great attraction for that area ! .

just like the , " great Pondi beach " at Penrith.

PS the " !awnhill national Park " , doesn't dry up by evaporation .

Does it ? .

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
A I caught me again : so I added a PS

3 hours ago, old man emu said:

It was devised by Dr John Bradfield (1867–1943), a Queensland born civil engineer, who also designed the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Brisbane's Story Bridge.

Bradfield didn't design the Sydney Harbour Bridge at all. His brief as an Engineer with the NSW Dept of Public Works was a rough copy of the Hells Gate Bridge in New York.The design was by Dorman Long of Middlesborough who borrowed much of it from the original Tyne bridge in Newcastle seen often in the TV series Vera.

• Informative 2

This is looking out my front gate in February, 2022. It beats me why the local council allows people to build on the floodplain. The biggest flood here came up to the bottom of my gate posts which would be very close to the meter box on that house. The owners didn't build it; they're the second owners. I think they bought it sight unseen and probably weren't aware of flood levels.

One thing I don't have to worry about is floods. I live about half a kilometre further up the hill and at least 300' higher than the street level.

22.jpg

Edited by willedoo
  • Informative 1

Had a knock at the door this afternoon. It was a young bloke who wanted to fit a device in our electrical switchboard. I heard sounds on our metal patio roof and said "Is it starting to rain?" He said "Oh yeah, the whole lot, toonder an' lightnin'. " - broad Irish accent. He said the device is $120, but the government has paid for it, so it costs you nothing.

He asked for my smart phone to download the ap to read the device output. He said "Sorry, can't do it. Your phone is too old." (iPhone 6.)

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, willedoo said:

[Put some in a bucket for me, will ya?]

ome, I'm guessing you're on tank water only, or do you also have access to dam or bore water?

I've got drinkable bore water, but I have 400 litres of rainwater for tea and coffee. The tanks got filled with a storm the week before Christmas, so I'm OK in that respect. 

The request for a bucket or two if you could spare it is to brighten up the lawn around the house, and freshen up the air. We are supposed to be getting rain tomorrow, but only about 15 mm total, maybe more if we can attract a storm cell.

It is frustrating to see the massive cloud buildup overhead during the day, only to have it dissipate by sunset, or move off to the ranges in the east.

• Informative 2

It's hammering down here at the moment. Haven't braved the rain to check the gauge but it would be up around the 170 to 180mm by now. It's flooding down below on the floodplain. Still have power but I've got a gas stove and all the chargeable LED lights are charged plus the phone and reserve battery pack.

We've had some big falls here at times. The biggest fall I've experienced here was 33" in 24 hours. Another time we had 14" one Sunday followed by another 14" the next Sunday. That cut the road to town for three weeks, mainly because the first flood soaked the ground for a week so the second lot couldn't soak in and just sat there.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Nary a skerrick of rain in sight here on the Left coast. The last reasonable fall we had was 6mm on the 2nd Oct. 2023. We had just over 8mm over the first three days of October, and that was it.

Nothing for a month then, and just a couple of light sprinkles in mid-November, 1.2mm and 1.4mm. Got exactly zero rain in December 2023, and January 2024 isn't looking very promising, either.

What puzzles me is the weather gurus reckon the Indian Ocean is warmer than normal, and this usually leads to more rain for us, as the ocean produces a lot more moisture-laden cloud when its warmer - but I haven't seen any sign of that in the last 6 months, as compared to the previous 4 years, when the moisture-laden air fairly rolled in from the NW Indian Ocean, and gave us 4 great rainfall and cropping years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It all depends on WHERE the wind comes from. The longer it spends over the hot inland the hotter and dryer it gets. Tennant Creek was the hottest  of those mentioned the other day. It's one of the last  places I would want to live. Not the place I flew regularly  into in 69. by any measure.   Nev

• Agree 1

Forecast for Wednesday 3/1/24: Rain

Actuality: Smoke haze from the Pilliga bushfires. Not a single little cotton bud of a cloud.

I went walkin' down by the river
Feeling very sad inside.
When all at once I saw in the sky
The little white cloud that cried.

He told me he was very lonesome
And no one cared if he lived or died,
And said sometimes the thunder and lightning
Make all little clouds hide.

Well I like Bradfield's idea, which I reckon could be considered to be the diversion ( Plus pumping) into the headwaters of the Diamantina river and Cooper's Creek.

I wonder if the Snowy scheme would have passed those same  tests as they are applying to Bradfield.

BUT here is my question....   how much water is going into the murray-darling , the Diamantina and Coopers right now?

• Like 1