Crikey it’s wet

pmccarthy

2 hours ago, old man emu said:

Queensland, wet today, stinking hot tomorrow.

The Queensland Premier is asking people to turn off non-essential electric devices so that the system can meet the demand of air conditioners as temperatures and humidity rise over the southeast corner. 

It's 34C inside with the fan on here, but very humid as well. It usually cools off here in April, so only two months to go. On the bright side, if you can get through five months of not so pleasant whether, there's usually seven months of nice weather. An exception was 2016 and 2017. One of those years had six days of winter, the other about ten days with the rest of the year hot.

I don't know what's happened to the predicted El Nino bringing a hotter and drier summer. Up until the start of December, it was the driest ever here, but then I got 300mm of rain for that month. In January, I'd had another 300mm of rain before it started raining steady today. Some areas just south of me have had 200mm in six hours. At least it's not hammering down; the runoff is not doing much erosion damage so far. Seems like a normal wet season to me.

• Informative 1

I reckon there's a Hebrew bloke named Moses living around my place. I watch the rainfall images on the radar moving towards my place, then suddenly the clouds split and ago around. My place stays drier than the bottom of the Red Sea during the Exodus.

• Informative 2

37 minutes ago, old man emu said:

I reckon there's a Hebrew bloke named Moses living around my place. I watch the rainfall images on the radar moving towards my place, then suddenly the clouds split and ago around. My place stays drier than the bottom of the Red Sea during the Exodus.

ome, my place is like that with thunderstorms. I get a few, but most seem to reach an area just south of me and split SE or NW of me. Must be something to do with the hills and topography.

• Informative 1

Lots of rain around our area, guttering overflowing, but fortunately we are 2/3 of the way up a hill, so it runs off quickly. Too many homes built on floodplains, like those in Queensland where they woke up in the middle of the night, knee deep in water, for the second time in 18 months. Just finished repairing their houses.

• Informative 1

I've been up the ' ladder ' cleaning my gutters all last week & again yesterday. The neighbours tree overhangs my garage. 

But I still have to do , the opposite neighbours gutters, 

Were my tree overhangs his garage. 

spacesailor

• Like 2

Rain?? What is Rain?? Clear blue skies, day after day, week after week, month after month, here. I'd really like some of that rain.

Everything is covered in dust, the wind blows and dust comes in everywhere. The vehicles have a constant coating of dirt.

Many of the street trees are starting to show signs of water stress, the councils should be out watering them.

• Informative 1

And practise... the first times I used a ladder to get on the roof of a house I was building were terrifying, but in time I got used to it.

BUT   remember harry schnieder? He survived being a german soldier in WW2 but nearly died when he fell off a ladder.

I am unsteady standing on a flat floor, so even using a step stool to change a lightbulb is dangerous for me. I get my son to do it. And I don't have the strength in my knees to climb a ladder, stairs are tough enough.

The ladders will get you every time, more dangerous than any enemy soldier. I fell off one when I was 18, I put the ladder up at too steep an angle against the gutter, and it went over backwards!

It was an 18 foot (5.5M) extension ladder too, and it was nearly right out to its full extension.

Fortunately, I went over backwards onto a big open lawn area, and I was fit and nimble back then, and I baled out to the side on the way down, and didn't suffer any injury whatosever.

It was a good lesson, though. A lot of older people I knew had falls from ladders, and it knocked them all badly.

• Sad 1

I fell over crossing the road .

tripped on a ledge of the pothole,  & flew , full length. 

Only broke the one  arm , in three places .

Still trying to get some strength back ! So now lifting 2kg ,

With that arm .

The new hip is fine '15 jumping jacks ' , 82 push-ups. & 10 knees bend / squats. Then a little jog to get the ticker going .

spacesailor

• Informative 1

In response to Nev's question.

Weather for 6/2/24

After several days of 10/10 overcast with 38C, it rained overnight. By morning the rain had stopped, but the overcast remains. By Midday it's a chilly 29C with 43% humidity. Dew point is about 25-26C. Caution - conditions likely to permit carburettor ice formation.

• Like 1