Crikey it’s wet

pmccarthy

Only 500m from mooring to dock.

Yes the swell can get big, but I am generally sheltered except from - south. I am well protected by Bull island. 

My 'ship rides well so it's not bad. I am in a deep part of the passage and that helps a lot.

Swell approx 50 cm at worst today, tomorrow?

Edited by Litespeed
  • Informative 2

We had that last weekend. Sunday was 38 deg, the hottest day this summer, then 24 deg Monday, overcast with a few sprinkles of rain. Similar forecast for next weekend, a couple of days in the high 30's, then a cold change.

The last 4 months has been the hottest and driest period I can recall for probably close-on 30 years. Hardly a skerrick of rain, no storms, and constant heat, well above average.

Several heatwaves around and over 40 degrees in January and February, and another one coming for several days from today - and it looks like another heatwave coming from the middle of next week.

The SW and South coast of W.A. is parched, people and towns are running out of water and they're having to cart water. The ground moisture level in the wheatbelt is at a very low level.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-08/wa-residents-truck-in-drinking-water-as-tanks-run-dry/103437818

• Informative 2

I've just been talking to a bloke who owns Mia Mia Station at Lyndon, W.A. - about 80-90 kms East of Coral Bay. He said the last decent measurable rain they had, was in April 2021!

He's going flat out hand-feeding cattle at present, and hoping for some Dry season rain, as the Wet season of the North hasn't delivered anything to him.

His Station is regarded as still being in the Gascoyne region, but it's Upper Gascoyne, and he's nearly in the Pilbara. The Gascoyne is in the grip of the worst drought in about 30 years.

The silly part is, just another 150-200 kms East of him, around Paraburdoo, Wittenoom and Newman, they've just had flooding rains a week ago, that closed the Gt Northern Hwy for several days.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-03/gascoyne-community-double-heatwave-drought-animals-seeking-water/103416892

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I can't stand 41 plus degrees. let alone 48+

It's a simple matter of thermodynamics. Our body temperature is 38C, or thereabouts. If the air temperature is less than 38C, heat goes from our body to the atmosphere. If the air temperature is more than 38C, we take in heat from the atmosphere. At 38C, we are at equilibrium so we still can't get rid of heat.

4 hours ago, old man emu said:

It's a simple matter of thermodynamics. Our body temperature is 38C, or thereabouts. If the air temperature is less than 38C, heat goes from our body to the atmosphere. If the air temperature is more than 38C, we take in heat from the atmosphere. At 38C, we are at equilibrium so we still can't get rid of heat.

It's a fine line. Average is 37C. 38C is a low to moderate fever.

• Like 1