Crikey it’s wet

pmccarthy

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

The figure I used was close enough for the point I was making. I wasn't trying to diagnose a malady.

I know. Just thought I'd mention it in case someone takes their temp at 38 and thinks it's normal after reading that. At 38 it's a fever.

• Like 1

I remember the 2011 floods in Toowoomba where they got 6" of rain in less than an hour. Toowoomba is 2,000' above sea level and higher than all surrounding country, but it's a big bowl shape with two  parallel north/south creeks running through it. From the east, the land slopes from the rim of the range down to East Creek, then rises up before falling down to West Creek, then rises again to the west. When it floods, which is extremely rare, the runoff comes off four slopes into the centre of the town.

This video shows the runoff coming from the west and flowing to West Creek. Two people died in Toowoomba that day, but a heap more drowned around Murphy's Creek and Grantham at the bottom of the range.

• Informative 1

7 hours ago, willedoo said:

I remember the 2011 floods in Toowoomba where they got 6" of rain in less than an hour. Toowoomba is 2,000' above sea level and higher than all surrounding country, but it's a big bowl shape with two  parallel north/south creeks running through it. From the east, the land slopes from the rim of the range down to East Creek, then rises up before falling down to West Creek, then rises again to the west. When it floods, which is extremely rare, the runoff comes off four slopes into the centre of the town.

This video shows the runoff coming from the west and flowing to West Creek. Two people died in Toowoomba that day, but a heap more drowned around Murphy's Creek and Grantham at the bottom of the range.

I was living in Buderim at the time and am still amazed at the photos I took of our back yard and pool areas. We had just listed the house for sale and were having an open home the following week. The pool ended up with over 450mm of sand & debris in the bottom from the empty block above us that was starting development. All the shoes, mats etc at the back door were swept around the house and down the drive on to the road. Most were never seen again but I picked up a thong that had ended up in a pile of rubbish about 500 metres away down 2 roads.

I've never seen such intense rainfall before or since.

Edited by kgwilson
  • Informative 2

There's always a lot of jokes about the BOM weather forecasts being inaccurate, but where I live they have been generally about 90% correct. That is, until the last few months where they have been uncharacteristically inaccurate. Usually around here, whatever the BOM says will happen does happen. But I don't know what's wrong with them lately; they seem to be all over the shop.

Just one example - yesterday's forecast for today was possible showers. Today we woke up to torrential rain that hammered down for most of the morning. For the last hour it's eased to steady rain. There's a severe weather warning out for the area just south of here to expect a sea borne thunderstorm to move onshore bringing more heavy rain. The BOM site has now changed today's forecast to rain, after the fact. 'Possible showers' will probably end up being a few inches of rain. I haven't braved the trek to the rain gauge yet, but I'd guess I've had maybe 3" so far today.

• Informative 1

The BOM has been steadily defunded by successive Govts, until it has become a shadow of what it was even 30 years ago. We used to get weather forecast upgrades 3 times a day, now we get just 1 update a day.

When we had the massive damaging storm that swept through the W.A. Hills region, Wheatbelt and Goldfields in mid January 2024, we got around 45 minutes warning of the severe storm approaching.

We had no SMS alerts, even where people were subscribed to warning alerts. My stepdaughter, who lives in Stoneville in the Hills above Perth, only noticed the threatening storm when she went outside for a work break from her office in the house.

She became alarmed, and only just had time to round up her chooks and lock them away, before the storm hit in an especially violent "mini-tornado" manner.

She had no time to put anything loose away, nor tie anything down. When the mini-tornado hit, it shredded huge trees on her 5 acre bush block, picked up her 10-seat glass patio table and flipped it upside down, and hurled it into the bush. The chairs got hurled up to 40 or 50 metres and buckled out of shape, and her large patio incurred substantial damage.

Edited by onetrack
  • Sad 1

How can you defund things and still expect them to STILL deliver the "GOODS"? . You can tell when the ISOBARS are computer generated = GUESSED. They  have weird little wiggles in them that just could NOT be right. The further out a forecast is the more of this you see.   It's projection . But some of the current one must be too..Nev

• Like 1

Well, we got thoroughly pounded with the heat today, some areas of the Central Sahara are starting to look like a place to take a cool break, to us.

They wrote up the article before the heat peaked, they said Perth had 42.5°C, we actually reached 42.9°C at 3.58PM today.

https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/western-wa-town-cracks-australias-top-ten-hottest-temperatures/1805026

Edited by onetrack
  • Sad 2

On 16/02/2024 at 6:28 PM, facthunter said:

A "Sea Borne" thunderstorm is a  STRANGE term to use.

Nev, I thought it was a short way of saying a thunderstorm that formed out over the ocean and moved inland to the south west.  I'm all ears for a more appropriate term.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

On the weather map, Geraldton Western Australia 

Was up for 45 degrees centigrade. 

That is Hot .

spacesailor

Fairly normal inland at this time of year, but that's hot for the coast. Too hot for me.

• Like 1