Crikey it’s wet

pmccarthy

4 minutes ago, Yenn said:

While the water that can get through the culverts and drains is speeding up and gouging the surface, the water that can't get through them is backing up, until eventually it flows over and scours out the ballast under the lines. Plus it raises the level of every bit of water upstream and slows the flow.

The gully I referred to above is new and enormous, extending hundreds of metres across the plains. Thousands of tonnes of soil lost. 

2 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

The water sped up, cutting a gully several metres deep.

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

Which is exactly what you would expect IF you thought about it.

Told ya it's all that Itie, Berboulli's fault.

Thousands of tonnes of soil lost. Not lost, merely inconveniently relocated.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2022 at 8:40 PM, red750 said:

Like someone said on FAccebook, "Can I get a refund on Spring?"

Our max today was 13.1 deg, lowest Nov temperature for 16 years. Forecast to go up to 24 in a couple of days, back to 14 by the weekend.

A week back we had 30 degree days and thought we missed spring altogether, and gone straight to summer.

Then this. At least you didn't get snow. Three days in a row of max 7 degrees, rain, sleet, grey skies, snow on the peaks. If you average the swings over a month you might arrive at spring temps.

No refund for you! At least you get consistency (rain followed by rain)

Blame it on the power of prayer.

Maybe those praying will learn to limit how much rain they are praying for!

I guess it gives them something new to pray for.

Poor old dog must be so confused. She gives them exactly what they pray for and then they pray for her to take it away!

Don't blame the gods. It's not their fault!

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, facthunter said:

It will be a great hardship on many people and things will change as a result. They have to. No point in replacing bridges houses and roads just like they were.

Nev I totally agree. It’s heartwarming to hear flood or fire victims pick themselves up and vow to rebuild, but where? In the same spot so it can all happen again?

14 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Many cities are overcapitalised also. Nev

Please explain (Sorry for sounding like that One Notion redhead.)

• Like 1

Knocking good buildings down More freeways and tunnels under other tunnels. All to keep the real estate values up with Insurers and Banks names on them. That's where their assets are.  .  You could build from scratch somewhere else cheaper and It would be better planned if you didn't just let individual developers run/bribe the government..  Nev

• Agree 1

They had the mayor of the area which covers Eugowra on the radio this morning.  This is a town which has been 80% destroyed by the flood.  The journalist asked him what he thought of the possibility of government buyback of the houses.

Now I know he's going through a lot and I have the greatest sympathy for everyone who lives there - but his response was "but then there'd be no town!  Imagine the cost of moving it to a higher area!"

I'm thinking to myself... mate, your town is gone.  Why do you want to build it all back in the same place so it can happen again?  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I do understand the misery, trauma and financial cost suffered by all those people affected by floods. And I am sure that when I was young I would have made the same mistake as all those people.

However I only blame the education system and general apathy for the problem.

Most of Australian continent is a flat old seabed. What do you expect when a rain event comes along?

I once stayed in a pub in central

Qld. The town arose down on the floodplain by the creek. After a second flood the townfolk took action and relocated to higher ground. There were old photos on the wall - of a piano wedged high in a tree, and of a steam traction engine towing a two storey pub up the hill. At least they were smart enough to stop rebuilding in silly places.

• Like 4

Furthermore.....

"Professor Jonathan Nott, a palaeohazards expert at James Cook University in Cairns, says part of the problem is that we “continue to build in the path of floods,” regardless of history, and allow populations to increase in low-lying floodplains."

Quoted from Australian Geographic.

• Like 1

A few towns have been protected by levee banks which have worked to keep floodwaters from nearby rivers destroying what is protected by the levees. However, the amount of rain has been so great that the levees have kept the rainwater falling on the town, making the enclosed area a big turkey nest dam. Oh, the irony!

• Informative 1