Music

willedoo

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Taylor Swift has become a billionaire. The interesting part is that her wealth is all derived from her music career, unlike a lot of artists and performers who have varying business investments like clothing, fashion and makeup lines using their own brand names.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/taylor-swift-becomes-a-billionaire/news-story/cccb22bec9d8c7e0a051fe132d4c0ed1

• Informative 1

• 9 months later...

Two more days and the Olympics are over and I can listen to the local ABC radio again. Not that I have anything against the Olympics, it's just that ABC radio is saturated with Roy and HG and I can't bear listening to them for more time than it takes to change stations. So what are the choices? The local commercial stations are full of loud ads and idiot presenters who think they have to yell all the time. Triple J is ok in small to medium doses. ABC news radio the same. There's only so much news you can listen to, and they have a lot of BBC content, about 40% of which is interesting and 60% pure waffle.

So what's this got to do with music? I've been renovating the verandah and have been listening to ABC Country for a change while I've been working. I can handle a bit of country music if it's good quality but what really stands out on the ABC Country channel is that almost all the stuff they play is contrived, product type country music. Just a bulk produced industry product of the churned out variety. It all sounds the same to the point that they don't even bother to announce who the artist is. What a lazy f'ing radio station. There is some reasonable country music out there but the ABC just pumps out generic industry crud. My guess is that it's a heavily controlled industry and to crack into the game, musicians have to play what the Nashville producers tell them to. Winding the clock back, artists like Patsy Cline and Tammy Whinette were unmistakable when you turned the radio on. I thought the ABC kept playing the same artists over and over until I twigged that they were multiple artists who all sound the same.

• Informative 1

It's 2024 Peter.  The question should be "You don't have a phone and speaker/headphones?"  Spotify (even the free version) will get you all the country music you can handle and even create playlists based on your favourite song or performer.

• Informative 2

14 minutes ago, red750 said:

And you pay phone usage fees. CD's are paid for. 

downloads of music use b*ger all data.  When at home my phone is using my home wifi which has unlimited download and when I am using my mobile data does not even come close to using a concerning amount.   You can always download from Spotify whilst using your home network which you can then play later whilst away from your home network.   

• Informative 2

8 minutes ago, red750 said:

Whatever floats your boat. 

Absolutely, I know many people who choose to always buy the CD however it does come at a price that is far greater than streaming.   

• Agree 2

I haven't played a CD in years, don't listen to the radio, even in the car, and have never streamed music. It all sounds mwar mwar  mwar to me, and hearing aids don't help. I have difficulty hearing people speak unless they are directly in front of me, looking straight at me and not wearing a mask. I need a combination of lip reading and what little hearing I have left. Often have to ask my son and daughter to repeat things three times. I have thought of getting a cochlear implant, but not even sure that would help.

• Informative 3

I still buy CDs.. My XC90 *(admittedly 10 years old now) has a CD player in it. BAD radio still suffers transmission gaps, 5g doesn't cover the entire continent, etc. Also, asI understand, more of the CD money as a proprtion of revenue goes to the artists than streaming services. But, of course, CDs do scratch, break, degrade and get lost over time - I get it. Of maybe 200 CDs I have (I know as I have transferred them to itunes and android player), I have had to purhcase maybe 5 replacements in that time. There are also times when you can't get the music you want through streaming services - like there was a time I couldn't get rRichard Clapton on any streaming service - welll I could get a couple of obscure recordings on iTunes.

There are also some artists - especially those that self-publish - that you can only get via streaming and itunes type sites.  And of course, good ol' YouTube has a lot of live recordings as well.

There is a place for a mixture of media to get one's artistic hit. I believe vinyl is making a comeback, too.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

YouTube has a lot of live recordings as wel

When I try to listen to music on Youtube (clips posted here), they don't sound anything like I remember them sounding.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

There are also some artists - especially those that self-publish

There are definitely pros and cons to the new ways of getting music out there.  The good thing about the new way is that there is much more diversity. In the past musicians had to convince a record company to back them. The record companies acted as gatekeepers.  I think this new era of being able to get your music out there at a reasonable price is fantastic.  It is true that artists don't make as much money per recording but in the old world a small number of artists made large sums of money but this came at the cost of diversity.  You had to convince EMI or Sony that they could get rich off of you. Innovations such as home recording and streaming have certainly democratized the music industry

I feel lucky to live in a time when I can listen to such a diverse range of music from 9th-century Gregorian Chant to something quirky recorded by someone last week.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 10/08/2024 at 11:20 AM, willedoo said:

The problem's solved; the radio went on the blink this morning. Maybe it was the country music. All I need now is for someone to steal my truck and I could write a song about it.

And if the thieves ran over your dog on the way out, you'd have a cracker of a song.

Edited by rgmwa
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in both camps.

I still have the CD's, and recently went down to the tip shop and bought a couple of spare players for a few bucks, to make sure I can still play them when I  want. The sound quality is better than streaming.

And my CD's are all copied onto my old mobile phone which I use to  play my music through the sound system in the shed (or caravan, or boat).

Sometimes, for variety, I  play Radio Australia (not actually our own Auntie) which offers digital streaming of radio stations around the planet.

• Informative 2