Jerry's renovation blog

nomadpete

We went to a local kitchen supplier who does their own (so cabinet makers that also sell you worktops and othet things). They use sold wood for the carcasses and the front panels, and they were only a little more expensive than the bich chains that use MDF.

Just have to find a decent cabinet maker (unless you have the skills yourself, which I clearly don't have).

Come to think of it, I have a long-lost cousin in Queensland - used to be in the Bowen area who was a cabinet maker..

I have no idea where she gets then from... both partner and I have fat finger syndrome.

She is good at photography, but most of her "art" emanates from her mouth. Those fingers are for sneakily "lifting" things.. she is wearing my jumper in that photo

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes, I do beleive in dog albitey. And as he or she knows that I don't believe in him or her, he sor she (or it) want's to make my life a pain..

Yesterday, the sparkies were due to come in and do the final work to allow us to finish the kitchen. Of course, I am in London Tuesday and Wednesdays, and as I didn't leave work until late (about 8pm, I wasn't home until after midnight.

I woke up this morning, expectng to see everything done in the kitchen electrically - lights fitted, power points fitted, light switches installed, etc. The builder was then going to work on the floor staining. I raced into the kitchen and it is exactly as it was in the photos I posted above.

In the village, we get the occasioanly power black out.. aseverywhere does. And yesterday, we had one. For the first time ever in the village, an agri hedge trimmer snipped through a pwoer cable at one of the properties on the edge of the village, and there was a power outage of the row of houses righ up to ours. The rest of the village was fine. It ook the hole day to restore power. The sparkies coudln't work because they needed their power tools.

You can only larf at this point.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it has been slow going on the reno. The sparky was ill until yesterday (Friday). He came out and installed some backing plates and cabled to them, but not much else before he had to take off as he was still not 100% right. The builder is waiting for him to complete the re-wiring/installing before much else. Also, as I work from home a lot, the sparky needs the supply off for about a day and won't be back until Wednesday. 

My exams aren't until late October, and I have a mountain to do, and work, is extra busy at the moment..

Latest reno photo:

image.thumb.png.502101ba288f62300a56bf7113bd41b1.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, not much has been happening on the reno front, still. My partner has done some painting of the open plan kitchen/diner, and the joiners have started making the windows and frames. The sparky was in last week for a day, but as he is fitting us in between other jobs, he coudn't come in this week. Hopefully he has a couple of days next week and is done. We had quotes for an alarm (need it for insurance) and the range was, well, bloody enornous.. from $2K  to about £8K for the same system and very similar configuratioin! It does pay to shop around.

I have two exams next week.. Tuesday and Tursday.. Both 1am my time (Aussie examinations). Once done, I will take a couple of days off and get into it. Plan to have the whole place done by mid November, and on the market.

• Informative 1