Oldest Continuous Culture??

old man emu

2 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

An interesting cultural thing... fifty years ago I worked with a bloke who was a whistlecock, as it was known. When he was young, they burned a hole through the base of his penis so that when he ejaculated, he would not make a woman pregnant. They did this, apparently, to limit population. I think it was quite clever and I admire their technical skill. Of course, today it would be the worst sort of child abuse.

PM that subincision inititiation rite was widely practised across the Top End. Presumably still done today.

I’ve been told by Indig women that they were quite pleased about it, too- in the sense of greater stimulation.

It’s believed to have a significant contraceptive effect. Apparently men have to put a finger over the hole to urinate,

• Informative 1

I don't know how widespread it was, but in the old days, at least one tribe had a custom of splitting the knob of the penis in half once a male reached a certain older age. It made it impossible for them to have sex and reproduce, but their folk law placed a high status on tribe members that had had it done. This bestowed status was a way of making it an attractive proposal to the splitee. The purpose of doing it was genetic diversity to stop the elders breeding by a certain age, and in the process, giving the young blokes a chance at having a wife. There was a lot of friction in some tribes as the virile young blokes weren't allowed to have a wife until they were much older, meanwhile the elders all had multiple wives. The butterfly dick caper was a way around that problem.

The elders were crafty old blokes. One mob used to keep the best cuts of roo meat for the old blokes; the young blokes had the dregs. The story was told to the young blokes that they couldn't eat the good parts because it saps the strength of a young warrior, but that the old blokes had lost their strength through age, so it was ok to eat the good bits. Anthropologists have said that is was a form of old age pension with an associated story made up to make it acceptable to the young blokes.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Our culture does similar things wille, I bet you have more money now than when you were younger. I   sure do . If we lived in a culture with no money or property, how would we keep the young fellers from getting things? I reckon they used taboos etc.

I never heard of the penis splitting trick, but I see how it worked for that tribe anyway. My lot ( the Arunta ) had just about everything taboo and as you got older you were allowed more stuff. I dunno how they kept the birth-rate down, I always thought that this was done by nature, in that the lubra and picaninny would both die in a drought.

What was good, I thought, was their way of avoiding inbreeding. If 2 groups from different tribes met, the women from the weaker side were herded over. They were either killed or raped. If they were just raped, all was well and the blokes didn't have to fight.

Bruce, one of the last jobs I did before retiring was for Central Petroleum out at Kintore in Pintubi land. It must have been a very isolated lifestyle for the Pintubi in the old days; they were real desert people, some of them up until fairly recently, the 1980's I think. One of the locals told us that occasionally some people would still go walkabout from Kintore out in the desert for a while. There's some nice country out there if you like desert country. Kintore itself was one of those settlements that are a bit rough around the edges. It was really noticeable coming back to Papunya and seeing how neat and tidy it was in comparison.

The road to Kintore was the worst for corrugations that I've ever seen. Not so much the size of the corrugations, but the fact that they didn't let up, hour after hour. They started not long after we turned off the Tanami road onto the Kintore road. We only had a couple of casualties though; east of Papunya a towed donga lost it's rear axle U bolts and had to be chained in place. The worst one was a full fuel tanker splitting a seam further out toward Kintore. Diesel was spraying everywhere. We filled up every vehicle and machine plus every container we could find to lower the pressure inside the tank, but there was no way you could plug the split effectively. They ended up borrowing a heap of 44's from a station and filling them up, but there was still a big fuel spill on the side of the road. The local council wasn't impressed.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1