Poor David Cameron, not getting good press at the moment.

Phil Perry

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LWLs do not understand or care what is viable or not. The reason we have coal is the only other option is nuclear at the moment. What size battery do you think it would take to run your average city over night? It would not be practical to run a single shopping center with batteries.

Yep what we have here is mindless Abbott bashing.

Teck I must respectfully disagree. When people wake up to just how bad this government is there will be hell to pay- but by then the damage will be done, and an incoming Labor government (assuming Shorten develops some gumption) will have to pay huge compensation to undo the dodgy deals Abbott's team have done.

A Royal Commission into Abbott's Direct Action policy will show it to be a totally corrupt way to give our money to LNP donors.

Teck I must respectfully disagree. When people wake up to just how bad this government is there will be hell to pay- but by then the damage will be done, and an incoming Labor government (assuming Shorten develops some gumption) will have to pay huge compensation to undo the dodgy deals Abbott's team have done.

A Royal Commission into Abbott's Direct Action policy will show it to be a totally corrupt way to give our money to LNP donors.

It would have to be a lot worse before it was as bad as Labour was in their last term. (not suggesting they're great, just "least worst")

It would have to be a lot worse before it was as bad as Labour was in their last term. (not suggesting they're great, just "least worst")

They're bad in different ways. My view is that Gillard/Rudd was certainly dysfunctional and that brings with it huge uncertainty. Even businesses who are traditionally antagonistic to Labor-style policies would "wear it" if they at least had some 100% certainty as to which road that Government was going down and could implement strategies to just deal with it.

However my view of Abbott is that he's so deeply trapped in a far-right conservative ideological straightjacket that his thinking and decision-making processes have become pretty much irrational.

Most good Governments have a significant degree of pragmatism despite their ideological leanings. Even Howard in his earlier years was fairly pragmatic despite having staunchly conservative views, though he veered way off this course in his last term and this was why he got roundly thrashed at the ballot box. Hawke too was pragmatic despite his union-leaning bent. The wages accord was signed, the dollar was floated, and a raft of free-market reforms were undertaken.

Abbott is none of these. Let's get that fact straight to start with. He opens his mouth before he engages his brain and what comes out of it is pure far-right conservative in ideology. There is absolutely nothing "moderate" about him.

These political threads are a waste of time.

Posting that a political thread in the "off topic" section in the "other forums" threads is a waste of time, is a waste of time.

Trying to argue scientific facts with people who have decided they're simply not going to accept them irrespective of the volume of evidence available is also, I concede, a waste of time. But it filled in a boring 24 hour slip away from home.

I'm always in awe of laypeople who insist they know better than highly respected professionals like:

• Professor Stephen Hawking - Physicist, Director of Research at the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, Cambridge University.

• Dr Neil deGrasse Tyson - Astrophysicist, Director of the Hayden Planetarium at the Rose Centre for Earth and Space, New York.

• Dr Lawrence M Krauss - Physicist, Foundation Professor of the School of Earth and Space Exploration, Arizona State University.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm always in awe of laypeople who insist they know better than highly respected professionals like:

• Professor Stephen Hawking - Physicist, Director of Research at the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, Cambridge University.

• Dr Neil deGrasse Tyson - Astrophysicist, Director of the Hayden Planetarium at the Rose Centre for Earth and Space, New York.

• Dr Lawrence M Krauss - Physicist, Foundation Professor of the School of Earth and Space Exploration, Arizona State University.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yep, those 3 would be on my "ultimate dinner party" list.

Dutch really is a man of faith! But you forgot manbearpig:

spacer.png

Might be time to round up the thousands of climate scientists that disagree with the extremist warmies and re-educate them, that's how your type of 'science by majority consensus' works no? Edit the temperature data to show some warming too, hide the decline and all.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

You forgot Sheldon Cooper.