The Random thought thread

spenaroo

Went to Woolies this morning to buy some milk, eggs and my sugarfree cordial. Went through the self serve ckeckouts (not many manned checkouts). Tried to finish the transaction, and the screen said "Have you checked all your items?' I pressed the Yes option, and the machine signalled a customer service operator supervising the checkouts. She brought up a screen with options, where she selected Personal Items, so the transaction could be completed. Here is the item the overhead camera detected in the trolley.

Close-up.

IMG_2172.thumb.JPG.1a5c718ec39b0405519b06310f3783df.JPG trolleyleaf.thumb.JPG.cad96957085c47474d3f1b2b00018cf6.JPG

• Haha 2
  • Informative 2

I agree, OME. I have a real aversion to it on that basis. In my local Co-Op (think better than a 7-11), they installed self-serve checkouts and I would normally prefer to wait and speak to a real person. Of course, after they installed the self-serve checkouts, they reduced the staff through attrition. I get on well with all of the staff there and we have a little touch-the-nose agreement that if they are really busy, I will use the self-serve, but I don't mind waiting to ensure there is enough demand to keep people employed,.

One time driving home form London, I stopped at the motorway services quite late, when only the WH Smiths (sort of a newsagent come convenience store - there's one in Melbourne airport, but it is a UK chain). There was some new self-serve checkouts and a sign that if you are paying with card to use them. I ignored it, and this older lady came scamping over to serve me and shen O presented the card, she scolded me for not reading the sign. I commented back to her, I [refer to deal with people and the more people that do what I do send a signal to head office they can;t just get rid of her job..

• Like 3

There have been stories of major chains removing self serve, but not in our area. In fact, even Aldi has added self serve checkouts, card only. Cash via the manned checkouts. Bunnings have self serve checkouts, but usually they are blocked off and you have to go to the manned checkouts. Woolies at Forest Hill Chase have put those coin/token chains on their trolleys recently. They replaced their metal trolleys with ones made of green recycled plastic. Coles don't (yet), neither do Woolies at Brentford Square.

• Informative 1

The Woolies that I shop at in Dubbo employs a deaf mute lady as a checkout chick. She displays a sign to inform people of her condition and asking them to look at her when they speak. Last time I went through her checkout, I wanted to take out $50 and had written that on my shopping list to remind myself. When I got to her I simply showed her the note and all went well. If she could pack a grocery bag quicker, people would fly through her checkout as she wouldn't be chatting as she worked. 

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

1st July and new tax rates come into force, allegedly being of assistance in this Cost-of-Living crisis. Isn't it usual for government fees and charges to rise on 1st July in line with CPI changes?

Book of Job 21:1  The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

WHY  wouldn't lower tax rates be of assistance to those who pay tax? Pensioners still pay GST even though you can't really live on the Pension.. It may have been upped though. Everything helps.  You can't expect the government to fix all the world's ills.  Where's a better place than here? Nev

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

WHY  wouldn't lower tax rates be of assistance to those who pay tax?

Of course it's great to have your PAYE tax deductions lowered so that your take-home is a bit higher, but when you get home your government fees and charges have gone up. Also the Super percentage increased today as well. That'll add a few cents to your supermarket shopping and all the rest of the consumer expenses. 

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Pensioners still pay GST even though you can't really live on the Pension.

You definitely can't "live it up" on the pension, but if your accommodation costs can be minimised, then you can live. You also have to become more critical in things like food purchasing. No more going for the Big Name brands where part of their price is in the advertising and pretty packaging. You have to be prepared to read the nutritional details or the ingredients label to compare the value of the house brand to the Big Name brand. Often the house brand is exactly the same. The first thing I do is to compare the packaging, especially plastic containers. It only takes a change in the roll of labels for a manufacturer to go from Big Brand to house brand.

Since becoming responsible for my household budget, I've been able easily meet living costs and line a small nest egg. That is simply because I set up a several sub-accounts in my bank account and funnel portions of my pension into them. Too bad that it took me most of my life to apply the advice I was given by a pensioner lady I knew back in the 70s. If I had followed her advice I'd be as rich as Croesus.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

You always counter MY posts. OME. I'm looking at having to sell my house. and get rid of the dogs which is really not feasible. Not every one is like you. I can't afford to  eat out Go to any events etc. Stop being SO clever and lecturing. and get Angry if you feel like it. I don't have a decent set of clothes. YOU have NO idea ..Nev

I suppose I am pretty fortunate. I won't say lucky because luck cannot be controlled. I still have my worries about my security in the future, which is going to be affected by the actions of others. But at the moment, I'm alright, Jack.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to stop at the supermarket on my way to the Men's Shed this morning. There in the carpark, between the two entrances, was a Mercedes Sprinter van, with a trailer at least 8 ft. long, taking up FIVE parking bays. When I came out of the supermarket, the driver was at the side door. I said "You inconsiderate bastard!"

MercedesSprintervan.thumb.jpg.cf57d97d4f6adf663aa9d98b30dd4561.jpg

• Informative 1

Yes and No .

That Far 600 has long been sold , as has my 12 m cruising yacht. Leaving only two canoe's ,two rubber duckies , one tinnie & one much older Tropic 520 T,Y. and not least a couple of flying dreams. 95-10-1103 lets me ' soar like an eagle '. 

Even let my " spacesailor " Delica go , so my neighbours 

Wouldn't have to have one kid on someone's lap .

spacesailor

PS : the Delica is an 8 seater .

Edited by spacesailor
PS added
  • Like 2