The Random thought thread

spenaroo

They ( Mitsubishi ) took a ' Mitsubishi Star wagon' & put a ' Pajero ' running gear under it , to take take tourist & skiers up the ski-fields in Japan. 

Made a wonderful vehicle. Converted to a " bedsitter " camper-van .

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
  • Like 1

My parents didn't have the money to give me a Middle Name, so I don't understand how they are used by adults. I know that a kid knows they are in trouble when a parent uses the full list, and worse if the surname is included.

The Americans state the initial of the second and subsequent names, e.g. James T. Kirk, but what do the British do?

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/07/2024 at 2:38 AM, red750 said:

Speaking of middle names, I saw that the full name of British actor John Nettles (Midsomer Murders, Bergerac) is John Vivian Drummond Nettles. Last two not hyphenated.

I also have two middle names. Dog knows why - I never use them.

• Informative 1

but

My daughter doesn't like her first name .

So I told her to use her second name ,

First one unusual .

Second one very common name .

No formalities involved , if  you get the extra name .

( I believe I spelt the name wrong , when registering her birth ) .

spacesailor

My daughter changed her Given Names legally. To the people she has met since then, she is known by the new name, but the family still use the name we gave her. It hurt my feelings when she did it because I thought she was rejecting her family, but at the time she was coming out of a divorce and wanted a new identity. She did keep the family surname until she remarried.

Notice that it was my feelings that were hurt. So, suck it up, Sunshine. I'm over it now, I think.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

There's some bad designs around. The washing machine spat the dummy today. On the initial water fill, I noticed water leaking out onto the floor, then the earth leakage unit tripped and the power went out. About a third of the way up the outer plastic bowl there is a small outlet about a quarter of an inch diameter. Connected to that is a small, clear plastic tube attached which had come off. All the water filling the bowl was forcing it's way out this small outlet with the pressure creating a stream of water directed straight at two electrical wire connectors for wires that run to the pump.

I've reconnected the small hose, dried around the electrical connectors and given them a spray with some WD40. I'll let things settle down a bit and dry overnight and give it another go in the morning. Hopefully the electrics are ok; I couldn't see or smell any sign of burning. It all looks fairly normal. It's one of the modern type washing machines so I hope the circuit board is ok.

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

Well , I had to replace my " gutter offset " due to it rusting out , the angle of the down piece, was far to meager for the roof debris to flow to down pipe. 

It won't happen again as I gave it about 120 ° from horizontal,  plus it's Bunnings 'plastic '

The  new house over the road looks lik theirs are horizontal. 

spacesailor

• Informative 2

The manager of the Manningham Men's Shed, with whom we share accommodation is in the process of relocating his model railroad setup into the shed recreation room. Still a few features to add before he gets it running.

IMG_2191.thumb.JPG.85078219fdd884e500881c1db3af9894.JPG

• Like 4

I am becoming confused and misled by the AI-generated pictures now appearing everywhere. They are particularly being used to suck in viewers to Youtube videos and various news channels. You click on the dramatic picture and find it is unrelated to the story, except that it might be described by the same few words. This is an example:

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

I love Bizarro cartoons. The only place I know where you can see them is on Facebook.They have hidden symbols, like the old hook in Jeff Hook's cartoons in the paper, but there are many more. Each carton tells how many symbols you have to find.

Here are the symbols:

Pirarosymbols.thumb.jpg.aa2bcff1ca7b5bdcd2676999d3be9b34.jpg

And here is one of the cartoons. The number to find is shown next to the signature (red arrow).  In this cartoon, there are 13 symbols. To help, I have circled them in red.

Piraro.thumb.jpg.ac3ce1ebab11ff6d7765c7c1bec7ff4e.jpg

• Informative 1