The Random thought thread

spenaroo

.A couple of the records are up to date, but some are a bit behind and some greatly behind. eg. The Most Images only lists Ian with one image. Check out Members/Top Members from the left menu.

• Informative 1

It can be frustrating when things seem to disappear from the face of the earth. It often happens with screwdrivers and the main offender is usually the tape measure. Luckily tapes are made in bright colours so you can eventually track them down. I got around that problem by buying heaps of tapes. Everywhere I look is a tape measure; if I lose one I just move on to the next.

Today's MIA was a metal stencil I was fooling around with on the verandah. I propped it on a ledge, turned around to walk away and heard the clunk of it falling on the verandah floor. When I looked for it on the floor it was gone. From where it was propped, it could only have fallen inside onto the verandah floor. Next thought was that being thin, it had slipped between the verandah floor board gaps and had fallen through onto the ground under the verandah. I went down there and looked around and it wasn't there. It was as if aliens had beamed it up.

It had me beat for a while until I got a torch and looked between the floorboards and there it was perched on the bearer. The verandah joists are 6x2 ironbark giving a 6" gap between the top of bearer and bottom of floorboards. The stencil was just slightly wider than 6" so was held by the 1" thick floorboards but not wide enough to protrude from the top of the floorboards to be easily visible. Mystery solved. The stencil is one of those old COD stencils for sending banana cartons away on the train to Sydney.

20240822_160832 - Copy.jpg

• Informative 2

36 minutes ago, old man emu said:

I would have finished my reno months ago if I didn't spend half the day looking for the thing I just put down. 

and it's not necessarily an age related thing; I've been losing things I just put down for all of my lifespan so far. Once I even resorted to spray painting various items fluro pink so I could spot them. Problem was, I then had so much pink stuff, I had to run around them all to find the particular pink one I'd misplaced. I think I'm too old to grow out of the habit of casually putting something down without making a mental note of where it is.

• Like 2

I've got a handy item at home for doing small jobs. It's a small oxygen bottle trolley (the type people use to take their breathing oxygen around with them) with a 20 lt. Bunnings brand green bucket attached with an occy strap. The Bunnings bucket is a perfect fit on the trolley and deep enough so the tools and odds and ends being used don't fall out. The trolley is so light it doesn't need to be wheeled all the time. It can be raised off the ground by the handle and carried around if need be. It's great for keeping all the smaller stuff being used in the one place where it can be easily found. I found the O2 bottle trolley in a bin skip. I don't know if the hospitals reuse them or whether they are single use and then thrown away like they do with the aluminium crutches.

• Informative 1

Maybe it's not an oxygen trolley. I just assumed that because I saw someone with an identical trolley with a bottle on it. The more I look at it, the more I think it might be off one of those small wheeled travel cases.

• Informative 1

I had a similar experience the other day.

Standing on a milk crate at the back of the wing, drilling 3/32" holes for a nut holder on an inspection hatch.

Opened the chuck to put in the 3/16" for the bolt and the 3/32" bit fell out and disappeared.

Searched the floor (concrete), nowhere to be seen.

Checked the flaperon bellcrank in case it was sitting on that, no joy.

Thought it may have fallen thru the flaperon slot into the fuselage, so got down under the plane to check the floor behind the seats, not there.

Stood up and jammed my hands in my pockets... and felt the bit. It had fallen straight into my jacket pocket!

Edited by Marty_d
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

The worst is when you put your glasses down because you don't need them for a moment, then go away. When you come back for them, you seem to look straight through them because they are clear, so you can't find them. Sort of like not seeing the trees for the forest.

• Like 2

Buy more glasses .

Loose one get another to find the missing pair .

My neighbour jammed his chainsaw in the tree he was cutting. 

I told him " buy another chain "  & Finnish the job , then pick up the old chain .

Tie the jammed chain to save it .

When it was all done climb the ladder to untie his missing chain , & he has a spare .

Happy neighbour .LoL

spacesailor

Here's how crappy the Daily Mail is. Headline: "BELOVED BURGER CHAIN TO CLOSE ALL ITS STORES."

No, not McDonalds or Hungry Jacks, it's the Japanese MOS Burgers, with a whole 3 stores. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, spacesailor said:

My neighbour jammed his chainsaw in the tree he was cutting. 

I told him " buy another chain "  & Finnish the job , then pick up the old chain .

Tie the jammed chain to save it .

When it was all done climb the ladder to untie his missing chain , & he has a spare .

I found out the hard way that it's a good idea to always have the chainsaw tool on your person when cutting. That way if the cutter bar jams at least you can unbolt the saw and save it if the tree is likely to fall. Once I was cutting a tall tree and did everything right. The tree was not far off the point of falling when an unusual gust of wind cropped up and blew the tree back on the cutter bar and jammed it. I didn't have the spanner on me so walked away to get it when I heard the tree going. Looked around to see it falling the correct way, releasing the saw which fell on the ground. Everything was looking promising until the tree hit the deck then bounced to land on the saw. It busted the main chassis on the saw which wasn't cheap.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, red750 said:

"BELOVED BURGER CHAIN TO CLOSE ALL ITS STORES."

The reason that Maccas and HJs are still open is not for their haute cuisine, but simply being the big boys in the fast food business, and the fact that we have been conditioned by advertising to but from them, and also because they are everywhere means that income from sales exceeds operating costs. However, the present Cost of Living crisis, that now appears to be a First World crisis, means that individuals are not frequenting them as before.

You mentioned a small chain that has gone under. Not long ago, US burger chain Carl’s Jr has placed its Australian stores into voluntary administration, affecting 24 stores. Entering the very competitive market as a higher-end burger fast-food restaurant with prices more expensive than that of its competitors, it couldn’t predict the downturn in spending on take-out food amid the rising cost-of-living crisis. 

One opened up in Dubbo and I ate there when I went into Dubbo for a day's shopping. I question the comment "prices more expensive than that of its competitors". I reckon they were cheaper than the other two. You could get a decent burger, medium chips and a medium soft drink (with refill) for $9.95. At the others that would be closer to $15. Not only was the price right, but the burger was very tasty. When was the last time you bought a burger with a full, unshredded, lettuce leaf. The chips were crisp. 

The Carl's Jr Group independently owns and operates 24 restaurants, while it is a master licensee to the remaining 25 locations, which are owned and operated by third-party sub-licensees. The appointment of administrators excludes the 25 restaurants independently owned and operated by third party sub-licensees. Unfortunately, the Dubbo one is operated by Carl's Jr Group and has closed.

The next cheapest fast food that I can get is some sushi at $5.50 per piece. I have two pieces. Subway is located off my beaten track in Dubbo. Otherwise there are kebabs or Asian and Indian, but nothing filling under $10. I can't even think where there is a dedicated Fish'n'Chip shop.

You've got to feel sorry for the young people who have lost their jobs. It's not the most exhilarating job, but it's a paying job in a depressed employment world. 

• Informative 1

My point was not the stores closing or burger chains in general, it was the absurd clickbait headline which required you to click a link to find the details. Daily Fail does it twenty or thirty times a day. 

"Much loved musician dies." - a 95 year old from some South American band.

"Football star dies suddenly" - a country footballer who has played 3 games killed in a car accident.

It's not the subject of the report, it's the sensationalist headline to drag you in to click on the link.

Check out this example:

DailyFail.thumb.jpg.5b0a2b2104b291376a2b06cec5f5adc3.jpg

People commented John Laws?, Alan Jones?, Neil Mitchell?

No. Mona Swinton, from a Warrnambool community station.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1