The Random thought thread

spenaroo

Some may already know this tip. If you've had too many hamburgers lately and are popping buttons on the work pants, sew them on with waxed dental floss and you won't have to do it again. Same principle as the waxed thread they use in saddlery and leather sewing.

• Informative 1

Hi, this is my first post to this forum and I thought this was a great way to begin. My random thought isn't so random - I just genuinely think (making this my thought) that a random thought topic makes this already more interesting than Facebook. I am now wondering about my own random (or not so random) thought. 

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, willedoo said:

Some may already know this tip. If you've had too many hamburgers lately and are popping buttons on the work pants, sew them on with waxed dental floss and you won't have to do it again. Same principle as the waxed thread they use in saddlery and leather sewing.

I now want to make clothes with dental floss. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Haha 1

On 02/09/2024 at 11:05 AM, red750 said:

Michael Leunig dumped from The Age

A controversial cartoonist delivered a blistering parting shot to his boss after he was sacked in a 'throat-cutting exercise'. 

Michael Leunig's 55-year career at The Age came to an end last week when the editor of the Melbourne-based masthead, Patrick Elligett, told subscribers the cartoonist had 'filed his last editorial illustration'.

But Leunig, 79, is refusing to go quietly, and delivered a blunt farewell message to the newspaper by accusing its editors of censorship and branding it a 'tacky tabloid'.

End of an era

• Agree 3

I went to a talk by Michael Leunig maybe 15-18 years ago, he was very interesting and related the major level of cruelty he endured in his upbringing.

He was really brutalised in his workplace as a young teenager, he ran into some co-workers who raped him regularly, and he couldn't, and didn't know what to do about it. None of the bastards ever got caught for their paedophilia. One would think he would've become an embittered and angry person, but he wasn't, he just had this quirky view of life, and the ability to put it into cartoons.

This is his 1998 view of what we should have on our new Australian flag, this was when the Republican movement was in full swing.

leunig2.gif

• Informative 3

You see some silly things on the net. This photo was on one of those clickbait sites where you end up scrolling through photo after photo while being bombarded with the intended advertising. The article was titled '50 hilarious security fails we couldn't make up if we tried -they’re so ridiculous it just becomes funny.'

The heading for the photo was '1. Inefficient System - There has to be a better way to secure the gate than using six different locks. If you unlock just one lock, the gate is able to be opened. Whoever designed the system failed big time.'

As most would know, they're individual safety lockout locks. Each worker attaches their own lock and removes it when they exit the job. Six locks means six people are inside the plant or machine and it can't be operated until the last lock is removed. It prevents someone starting up a plant or machine and gobbling up some workers who are still inside.

sf_1.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

That is true; though it is possible that there could be a touch of makeup, photoshop or both. But, to be fairto Scott Baio, if youy look after yourself, there's little reason you won't age well.

My My, doesn't Henry Winkler look a little like a smurf in the older shot... 😉

No. I can't see that

• Like 1