red750

11 hours ago, spacesailor said:

The ' Ansett Airline ' DC 3,

was at .

179 Larra Lee Road,  Mitchell hwy.

Screenshot_20240801-202152_Chrome.jpg

Sneaky me 

spacesailor

It may have been moved.  The Street View image is from 2015, I just had a look at the satellite view which was copyrighted 2024 and I can't see it.  (Maybe that's just me missing it though!)

I think it's there, but hard to pick under the trees with the wings removed.

The country around Angeldool doesn't look too inviting for a forced landing if the satellite view is anything to go by.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a couple of town house units under construction opposite our health care centre for quite a few months, with no activity for a long time. We were begining to think that the builders were about to go out of business. It was so long that the framework and plywood panels had dried out and gone grey. See photo below. However, this week roofers have turned up and installed the tiles on the roof.

IMG_2247.thumb.JPG.827d1dd7a0dc667e474617cc1034a30b.JPG

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, red750 said:

this week roofers have turned up and installed the tiles on the roof.

That's how Noddy wanted to build his house when the Got to Toyland. Put the roof up first so that he and Big Ears could keep working on the walls if it began to rain.

220px-Noddy_Goes_To_Toyland_1949_cover.jpg

• Like 1

It's not that the building is being roofed before the cladding, it's that constuction had stopped for so long the timber had turned grey. Usually it's yellow or straw coloured when the cladding starts and roofing has been completed.

When we were building a house in Alice Springs, the place behind us was yisited by workers about once every 6 weeks. On a visitation, they would work away real fast for about 3 days and then disappear for about 6 weeks again.

I reckoned that this was just how the economics of labour costings  worked out at that time.

But it was funny how at one time, there was a roof truss put up wrongly, as the previous guy had only marked where it went with one line and not two.  Since he was not present when the next lot came, the truss was put up wrongly and when this was noticed, all the other guys had to "bodge up" the job, which slowed them down. They talked of murdering the culprit all the time.

• Sad 1

" Not the time for building ".

So true , when there's so much empty office buildings .

Let the ones that prefer to work at home . Do so .

And , those that like offices live there .

It must free up a few houses at least .

Then again those empty offices could accommodate 

Lots of young couples , seeking a home .

spacesailor

• Like 2

True !  .

I can visualise it now .

A yobbo with his work boots on grans super-polished table .

Beer can rings everywhere, beside the can in use 

Then the dirt stains across the white , expensive carpet .

Gran doing his cooking , cleaning & laundry. 

For $50 a week ! .

Then, " Deemed " to be earning $ 600 weekly by the

' social security ' . Cutting her pension by 90% .

Leave your grandma alone & in peace. 

GreatGrandad spacesailor

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, spacesailor said:

Then, " Deemed " to be earning $ 600 weekly by the

' social security ' . Cutting her pension by 90% .

From 1 July 2024, a single pensioner can earn $212 a fortnight and still be eligible for the full single pension of $1116.30 a fortnight. They can also earn up to $460 a fortnight from personal exertion.

So, with a bit of careful accounting, such as claiming some of the cost of electricity, water, council rates - you think of it and you claim it - as well as the cost of food, depreciation on furniture in the both the rented room and the common rooms, depreciation on bedding. I bet you can think of lots of things, it would be easy to get under $212 per fortnight. Then there are earnings from personal exertion - coking, cleaning, laundry That makes up the $460.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Somewhat related to topic....

A caravan company has suddenly collapsed, leaving dozens of customers out of pocket and at least one without a home.

On Wednesday afternoon, Victorian-based Tango Caravans Pty Ltd plunged into liquidation.

The business manufactured customised caravans and was headquartered in Somerton, Melbourne.

Tyler Edmunds, a father-of-two, had been fearing the worst for months after being promised his caravan would be completed by February – but still with no sign of it

The Albury resident had made the three-hour trek to Tango’s Melbourne head office several times demanding he get what he paid for, but each time he left empty-handed.

The young dad had been asked to make the full payment – $73,000 – for his caravan, and he is now facing the prospect of losing it all.

You'd have to pretty dumb to hand over $73,000 as full payment for a product from a company, with no guarantees of any kind as regards non-performance or non-supply.

I hope he paid with a credit card or PayPal, so he can get it back!

Edited by onetrack

Yeah... This is the problem with th education system. Eveyday finance should be a mandatory subject at early high school. If you can understand basic maths, you can understand basic rules of finance and consumer law.. He may be an "idiot" for doing it, but if he has never been educated about what can happen if a company that owes you something goes broke, a bit of a hard word in a vulnerable situatiuon, and you have this issue.

In the UK, many flying schools offer bhig discounts for big upfront payments, especially the commercial training world. Many go under owing a lot of money/training to consumers/students. I thin k Soar aviation in Melb did the same thing..

• Sad 1

The very fact that a company demands full payment up front should be a red-flag warning. It means that they have inadequate funds or capital to operate and are using customers money for yet-to-be-supplied goods, to operate.

This is the biggest warning you can get, when it comes to handing over money for goods or services to be supplied. At the very most, an upfront payment of 5% or 10% of the value of the purchased product or service should be more than adequate to provide comfort to both parties that the transaction can proceed. 

If the customer then fails to complete the transaction, the 5% or 10% down payment should be adequate to compensate the company for costs incurred in an order that is not fulfilled due to actions by the customer.

If goods are manufactured by the company, in 98% of cases, those goods are resellable to other customers - unless it's a peculiarly special order that only fits one position/location. In which case, then perhaps a larger deposit would be reasonable. But a caravan from an unfulfilled order can be sold to anyone - they sell well most times, unless we're in a recession.

Despite the fact that the company might have traded whilst insolvent, any penalty applied for insolvent trading does nothing to compensate those who have lost down payments on products or services that were not supplied.