Electric car thread

spenaroo

32 minutes ago, octave said:

The cars tech controls the traction. 

I guessed that there would be something in the software. Obviously a normal person would not want to be "chirping" every time they wanted to move off from a standing position.

• Agree 1

On my often occurring trips to Melbourne the EV's just fit in with the flow of traffic  and you don't have them sticking out in any way except they are quiet. They accelerate and stop much like any other and it they want to accelerate they can leave most cars easily. . They don't need a flywheel, clutch or gearbox . Neither does a steam engine.. Chirping the tyres on a ICE car often involves revving the engine and dropping the clutch..   Nev

The Tesla Model Y Plaid (only sold in the USA) has 2 electric motors driving all 4 wheels and produces 1020 horsepower and 1420Nm of torque. It is the quickest car ever produced with a 0 to 100 kmh time of 1.9 seconds. It does not spin the tyres. It is quicker than a formula 1 race car, at least to the first corner where the F1 car gets around that far better..

25 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

The Tesla Model Y Plaid (only sold in the USA) has 2 electric motors driving all 4 wheels and produces 1020 horsepower and 1420Nm of torque. It is the quickest car ever produced with a 0 to 100 kmh time of 1.9 seconds. It does not spin the tyres. It is quicker than a formula 1 race car, at least to the first corner where the F1 car gets around that far better..

Scarey

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, kgwilson said:

It is the quickest car ever produced with a 0 to 100 kmh time of 1.9 seconds.

It might be nice for some to be able to "get off the line" like a pebble from a slingshot, but not very nice for passengers. Having said that, most of us drive cars that are capable of getting up to 160 kph, but we never  really intend to use that capability.

My old BMW E39 V8 had a 300 kmh Speedo but was electronically limited to 255 kmh. 

And would do a genuine 255kmh on GPS. Add a chip which deleted the limiter,  it would do 300kmh.

Not suitable for Aussie roads but the Germans and Italian makers tend to actually build cars for that speed not as marketing slogans. A world apart from a big Aussie V8.

Wish we had Autobahns and educated drivers.

• Like 2

I've not yet seen anyone clowning , on the road in an electric car. As I said above they just fit in with the other traffic effortlessly so the chirping tyres BS is just that. BS. There's no evidence of any management issues with normal drivers that I've ever heard of. Nev

My next door neighbour had a puncture,  there is no spare in his model 3 Tesla .

Someone came & changed his ' wheel ' , for a skinny tyre & was told not to use it on the toll ( fast ) roads .

I have no idea of the cost . 

spacesailor

• Informative 1

20 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

My next door neighbour had a puncture,  there is no spare in his model 3 Tesla .

This is not unique to Tesla or EV generally.  Many if not most new cars regardless of how they are powered do not come with a spare or come with a space saver spare.

Posted (edited)

Someone from the dealership changed his ' wheel ' , for a space saver tyre/wheel & was told not to use it on the toll ( fast ) roads .

I have no idea of the cost if any to him . 

I personally would. not  buy a  ethical that has no spare wheel . As I have had far too many damaged tyres in my travels. 

spacesailor

PS : why have two boots & no spare .

Edited by spacesailor
PS added

If you live in the outback or where there are a lot of gravel roads it makes sense to have a spare tyre. Well over 90% of vehicles never get off major roads and some hardly ever get out of the city. Manufacturers of both ICE & EV have looked at statistics and determined providing a spare wheel is expensive and takes up valuable space so thy are no longer included. It started with space saver spares, then run flat tyres & now a repair kit. Many drivers have absolutely no idea how to change a wheel or even where the spare is. All they know is how to call NRMA.

Back in the 60s Citroen put the spare under the bonnet but for most cars that isn't an option The front boot/trunk (froot/frunk) in an EV is also filled with air conditioning, coolant etc so there is nowhere to put a spare. Many cars can hold a space saver spare in/under the boot but it is an optional extra.

My MG4 does not have a spare wheel & I don't care. I haven't had a puncture in the last 250,000 km of driving & if I get one there is the repair kit which consists of a pressurised can of gunk, a safety triangle and an electric tyre pump. It also has an e-Sim which knows where the car is within 5 metres and an emergency button on the ceiling console that sends a signal via the cellular system or if not in range of a tower via a GPS satellite providing a latitude/longitude grid reference to the emergency service provider to come & get me. First they try to ring me & if I am out of range they just turn up hopefully sooner rather than later. This is part of the 7 year warranty. After that there is a fee which is just the normal NRMA  membership charge.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I hope your " Esim " equipment works when not in urban 

Area .

I had two punctures , the first going to Tibooburra & one returning, both on the Silver City highway. 

I doubt you will. Get any help quickly stuck there waiting 

For the  ' overrated ' nrma ,

As when you breakdown on the " Nullarbor highway "  , they make any excuse to get out of those " $ 3500 Towing " bills .

Been there when it happened  .

AND the shock on the members face being left high & dry in the middle of  nowhere .

( managed to get an empty ' car carrier' to get them from roadhouse to Ceduna ) .

spacesailor

Like I said if you are out of range of cellular tower it will send the message via the built in GPS. I get our SES vehicles serviced at NRMA & we have had flat batteries they have been called out for and the service has been good. They now have a battery and EV charging cable for any fool who has run out of battery but have never had to use it.

Any callout is going to take time. The driver isn't normally sitting at the depot waiting for a call. Usually they are at home so they have to get organised , go to the depot and then drive for how ever many hours it takes to get to the breakdown. If it is the Nullabor highway it could take all day even if it only is from the nearest roadhouse. That is the risk you take when driving in remote areas. You need to plan for such possibilities.

• Informative 1

Posted (edited)

Remote area's ! .

Perth to Adelaide,  what's the alternative road route? .

Tibooburra &  Birdsvlle fly-in via Burke by road . ( From  Dubbo ) . We do need to see Australia ,

At least once , in a life time . And I did go to see the " fly-in " , not the pub , with it's great cold beer .

spacesailor

PS : I forgot about the horse races . LoL

Edited by spacesailor
PS added

52 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Remote area's ! .

Perth to Adelaide,  what's the alternative road route? .

Tibooburra &  Birdsvlle fly-in via Burke by road . ( From  Dubbo ) . We do need to see Australia ,

At least once , in a life time . And I did go to see the " fly-in " , not the pub , with it's great cold beer .

spacesailor

PS : I forgot about the horse races . LoL

Do we?

99.9% of people never drive in the outback.  I've been up and down the east coast by car and motorbike, and over to Adelaide, but the only time I've been to Perth is a brief stop at the airport while going from Johannesburg to Melbourne.

The whole thing is - you can still have your ICE car, getting an EV is not compulsory.  Fuel will be available at service stations (maybe less stations) for the rest of your life.

But the change is coming, because it makes sense.  It's like an argument I had with someone on here a few years back who didn't like LED lights and wanted to keep his old 60w / 100w incandescents.  If you want to spend more to run them, go for it, but don't think progress is going to stop because you don't like it.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, facthunter said:

The filament lights are a bit easier on people coming the other way but the latest set ups put the LEDs out that would impact the on coming car automatically and leave the others still on..  Nev

I was talking about house light bulbs where you're paying to run 100w instead of like 11w, rather than cars.