Electric car thread

spenaroo

I have read various things about supplies of minerals for modern tech.  I do think it is an important issue.  Lithium doesn't seem to be a problem. I think I have read more about copper.    Recycling will have to be a major part if we are to continue to advance electronic technology.  Oil is not a finite resource and can only be burnt once although things like plastic of course can be recycled in some cases.  If the minerals required in our electronic devices become harder to source then the price will go up, This also applies to oil. 

And we will have to take recycling more seriously. OME there's more dubious info bagging electric than false claims of it being better than it is. Many of those bagging it have a vested interest in fossil fuels which can only get more expensive while electric will get cheaper and make you even become "Independent" of the profiteers. THAT they don't like.. But it's something we should welcome.. Don't stress over it. It's not good for your health and well being..  Nev

Any one care to calculate my EV fuel cost ! .

No solar as not eligible for any Incentives.

NSW rates 30 cents per kilowatt-hour. 

I ask , as my neighbours Tesla gets a full charge once a week from his employer .

Only saw a couple of " home " charging times .

I would be " home " charging permanently .

Try for Tesla model 3 , as per neighbour. 

spacesailor

My last month's (actually 24 days) electricity bill was $46.53 however we are in credit. This bill will cost me $16.38 will cost. All electric home.   Why is it so low? It helps that we live in a quite small place and we try to schedule as much use during the middle of the day.

Edited by octave

My last quarterly bill was $41.42. I have 8kW of solar panels and charge the car mostly when it is sunny. There have been a few cloudy days lately so I have charged a bit at off peak overnight. I get 4 hours of free power on Saturdays & Sundays so if I am home the car is being charged at full speed (32 AMPS or 7.4kW) then. MY EVSE (charger) can draw from 1 Amp to 32 Amps so depending on my solar generation I change it on the fly.

I just got sent a publication called "The little book of EV myths" from Fully Charged. It is a PDF file with 47 pages of information correcting the rubbish commonly bandied about by the anti EV lobby which is supported by the right wing press and the fossil fuel industry. Well worth a read

20769 Little Book of EV Myths (Second Edition) PROOF 7.pdf

Edited by kgwilson
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

This month was $240 for me. Plus $145 for gas.

So if that averages per month, then it's $4,620 a year just on energy at home.

Add in fuel for a car and a home solar/ battery and EV car makes a lot of sense.

Edited by Litespeed

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

Some of todays colours aren't good for visibility. Nev

Try seeing a grey car against a grey bitumen road surface, especially if the car is approaching from your side as at an intersection. If you fly you'll remember being warned to look for aircraft approaching from abeam.

I had to check with the driver of a grey car recently to see that I hadn't made my turn into the street when the grey car was too close. I just didn't see it until I had straightened up. Happily the driver told me that I hadn't caused a problem. But I've encountered this camouflage effect often enough to be a worry. (And my eyesight, including peripheral vision tested OK for commercial driving earlier this year.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Let's liven up and go for Bright and radical colours like we had about 20-40 years ago.

Vehicle colour ranges are a sinister plot by governments to dull the senses of the People so that the People will unquestionably accept any decisions or demands made of them by those in power.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, red750 said:

Unusual door arrangement on the Mazda MX-30 EV.

MazdaMX-30doors.thumb.jpg.b79066e0e46363e39b9fdd4a31fee33a.jpg

My son's first EV had this arrangement - BMWI3   very practical  in some respects but flawed in other ways

Edited by octave