Electric car thread

spenaroo

That might change shortly as Joes drive to subsidise battery manufacturing in the U.S. is resulting in some monstrous new battery factories being built in the U.S.

https://insideevs.com/news/556697/us-over10-new-battery-plants/

The end result is probably going to be a win-win for consumers as battery prices are bound to tank with the coming "battery wars".

• Like 1

The Saudis production costs for oil is $3 a barrel. Be assured, that as soon as EV's look like being a real threat to the fossil fuel suppliers, the oil price will be adjusted downwards to ensure it cuts the ground out from under the feet of EV and battery manufacturers.

There'll be a war, alright, it will become a winner for consumers. The problem may end up an economic problem if a pile of EV manufacturers and battery manufacturers incur massive losses, and go to the wall, possibly even bringing on a recession or even another Depression.

One of the things touted for the EV is the low cost of maintaining one. That's probably quit true if you compare an EV with an ICE in regards the costs of keeping the ICE operating. I've just booked my ICE in for the replacement of a rear tappet cover gasket, which, due to the layout of components of a transverse installation of a V6 engine is going to take at least 3 hours, plus inlet and tappet cover gaskets. And since the rear spark plugs are so hard to access, they will be replaced at the same time due to end of service life. An EV wouldn't need that, so maintenance costs would be lower.

However, what never seems to be mentioned is the cost of consumables, like tyres and brake pads. Today I replaced all my tyres at $150 each. However, I believe that due to the unique conditions under which tyres on EVs operate, they have had to be specially designed. Basically, I believe, an EV passenger tyre is much more expensive to purchase than one of a comparable size for an ICE. I believe that an EV tyre has a shorted operational life than one for an ICE.

I accept that I might be way off, but if I'm not, then the cost of consumables should be included when comparing operating costs of EVs and ICEs.

• Informative 1