Electric car thread

spenaroo

Not unlike the LPG warning sticker that all LP gas powered vehicles have on their number plate.

Seems sensible to warn people about hazardous stuff that might be particular to some vehicles.

Nowadays there are all kinds of hazards on vehicles - such as explosive charges associated with each airbag or seatbelt pretensioner.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, nomadpete said:

Nowadays there are all kinds of hazards on vehicles - such as explosive charges associated with each airbag or seatbelt pretensioner.

Generally the biggest hazard is the nut behind the wheel.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Has anyone ever thought to warn firefighters approaching a car on fire, that every IC-engine car is a massive bomb just waiting to explode? I read once where the energy contained in a tankful of petrol vapour is enough to flatten a building!

• Agree 2

Speaking as a member of Tas Fire Service, I'd say all firies are acutely aware of the risks. Especially since cars almost always have their petrol bomb contained within a plastic tank. The best we can do is attempt to prevent the fire spreading elsewhere when the tank suddenly drops the lot onto the pavement. Whoosh!

12 minutes ago, onetrack said:

every IC-engine car is a massive bomb just waiting to explode?

Fortunately, the fuel/air mixture in a petrol tank is too rich to ignite. The petrol only adds to the fuel load of the fire when it escapes from the tank. You will often hear loud bangs as ANY car goes up on flames, but that is just the tyres blowing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

IF an IC engine does blow up it's likely to throw oil and fuel on hot surfaces. There's pipes all over the place. Filter cases can crack or the seal fail. The HYBRID is the worst of both worlds from many aspects.   Watching them in most city traffic  they generally just fit into the flow . It's the people in Ferraris and Lambo's that show off. and rev their engines.   There's NO clutches in a EV .Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

It definitely not the sports cars ! .

It's always that brat of a P plater . That hoons everywere

The only one to beat those EV's off the " green-light " .

Then cuts in . Forcing others to brake. 

spacesailor

PS : three words changed by A I .

The blue triangle is installed on all new EVs. There are probably older ones around that don't have them as they were made prior to the regulation. They would be required for a rego check but then you don't need a rego check until a vehicle is 5 years old. The blue trim on the logo of a Toyota hybrid doesn't inform anyone of anything.

• Like 1

It reminds of the bad old days for motorbike plates.

Do you guys remember the front mounted plate aka pedestrian slicer?

I remember getting pulled over by plod and fined for not having a front plate. I pleaded ignorance and the fact I had just bought said old bike from a dealership, with 12 mths rego and pinkslipped, only with its back plate. 

Even though the front plate was well and truly banned for new bikes on obvious safety reasons, the cop was not reasonable.

Because the rear plate had the old triangle in the middle, plod insisted I was illegally riding without a front plate. 

Could I get a copy plate from the RTA? No.

Then for my trouble as a L plater, who dared ask for an explanation, my bike was disassembled on the side of the road to look for drugs? Seat torn up, everything searched.

So I was fined and had my bike damaged to meet a outdated law, and the ego of a very unhelpful copper.

Not a good intro to the police. I figured the bloke hated motorbikes and was on a crusade.

The "overpowered" bike I had was a 1970's RX125 Yamaha. 

A Hybrid is not properly classed as an EV, because it still relies largely on fossil fuel for power. Hybrid batteries are relatively small, they've only got a few kms range without running the petrol engine - and if you want to do highway speeds, you're running primarily on the petrol engine.

The manufacturers push Hybrids because they can claim unrealistically low fuel consumption figures, all based on low speed city operation. If you do any amount of driving on freeways or rural highways, you won't notice much reduction in fuel use with a Hybrid.

• Agree 3

People buying them think they are helping the climate.  and are "going electric"  The electric RANGE is quite low. For that you pay about 14K$'s extra and have ALL the extra maintenance and battery weight. .  A real CON act.  Nev

• Agree 3

SHSSS

Don't tell my granddaughter,  

At least it doesn't have to get " warmed-up " in these cold morning's.  ( 2 o'clock call out ( silentlysneak away , without waking the children )) .

spacesailor

• Informative 1

Nio has a model the ET7 with a 1000 km range. Nio CEO William Li, who has gained a reputation as China's Elon Musk, live-streamed his mammoth 1,044km journey from Shanghai to Xiamen on December 17 2023 in a test of the Chinese EV company's groundbreaking battery technology. He was left with 3% of battery & managed this during a cold snap in the Winter. The car has a massive 150 kWh battery. My car has a 64 kWh battery and I get 400km of range at 100-110 kmh (450 at 80kmh) so it isn't that special but of course it weighs 2434 kgs so as much as a big SUV.

• Informative 1

OK. I get it. I'm being too obtuse. What I was trying to point out, when it is illegal to use the GPS on your phone even if is is mounted in a bracket, is that three large screens is overkill. 

• Informative 1

9 minutes ago, red750 said:

when it is illegal to use the GPS on your phone even if is is mounted in a bracket,

It is legal if fixed I think.  Obviously, you can't use other functions.  I do not know about this particular vehicle but I know in the Tesla you can set the screen as you like it if you find too much information to be distr5acting. My son often has his screen act like a huge rearview mirror using the rear camera, pretty useful.  It is reasonable to question whether having this many screens is necessary.

Using a phone as a navigational device/GPS while riding is prohibited unless it is secured in a commercially designed holder fixed to the vehicle. All other functions (including video calls, texting and emailing) are prohibited. The penalty is a fine of $545 applies.

• Informative 1