Electric car thread

spenaroo

5 hours ago, nomadpete said:

I sometimes wonder robust the wiring is on new cars (both EV & legacy types)

Nothing's too robust for a determined rodent.

Ever heard of it happening with aircraft on farm or country town airports?

• Agree 2

Never heard of any rodent damage in any aircraft in my limited experience - but I have had numerous experiences with rodent damage in parked vehicles. The machine usually needs to be parked for some time before rodents move in - although I've heard the Outback Qld rats will move in overnight, looking for warmth.

Aircraft parked in an open area would be low risk, rodents like some cover to move around. Hangars that are not sealed would be a potential rodent risk, and baits and traps are necessary in all rural buildings.

Back to the EV dilemmas. If you feel you need to "try before you buy", then an entrepreneurial bloke has started up an EV rental business, where you can hire an EV for a minimum of a month, to see if it fits your transport requirements, and to find out any hidden drawbacks that EV's have, that might make you regret lashing out and purchasing one.

The plummeting resale value of EV's is one reason I wouldn't buy one at present, but I guess that is going to become a stabilising factor eventually, as the resale values bottom out and buyers become willing to risk an investment in a used EV.

The coming flood of Chinese EV's is going to reset the EV market in a big way, and potentially increase the % of EV's on our roads as many purchasers go for the cheap Chinese offerings - as they always do, when the Chinese products flood into any particular market.

Carly - hire an EV - https://www.carly.co/evtrial

• Informative 1

A cockpits common definition these days is where pilots & crew sit to fly an aeroplane but it is also used to describe a race cars drivers seating area. The words original definition was a pit where a cockfight happens and in the 1700s cockpit became the Royal Navy's term for the area where a coxswain, or ship's pilot, was stationed.

• Informative 2

"Cockpit" is too gender specific, and totally alpha male-oriented. I'd suggest, in this enlightened gender fluidity age, we need to develop a far more inclusive word for the driving position. However, I'm struggling to find the most acceptable word. "LGBTQIAPIT" doesn't seem to quite fit the requirement.

52 minutes ago, old man emu said:

I wonder if ANCAP or any other organisation that tests the crashworthiness of vehicles ever crashes EVs in an enclosed building which also houses very expensive data collection equipment.

Yes, they do, why wouldn't they?

1 hour ago, spacesailor said:

NO fuel for the IC cars .

Maybe. 

No batteries for E V cars .

spacesailor

I dont know about IC cars and fuel during crash tests but EVs do have batteries during test.

The tests can evaluate fire hazard either caused by thermal runaway – when lithium-ion batteries experience rapid uncontrollable heating – in ruptured EV batteries or gas tank leaks of internal combustion vehicles.

None of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety crash tests of EVs have sparked any fires. New Car Assessment Program crash test reports yield comparable findings. While real-world data analysis on vehicle fires involving EVs is limited, it appears that media and social media scrutiny of EV fire hazard is

Electrified vehicles (including battery electric, fuel cell and hybrid-electric vehicles) are subjected to the same ANCAP crash protection and crash avoidance tests as any other vehicle rated by ANCAP. Some additional elements are monitored by ANCAP as part of the testing process: • The output of the high-voltage battery is monitored. High voltage batteries are fitted with a ‘safety cut-out’ that will rapidly disconnect the battery in the event of a crash. We monitor the output to record if and when this cut-out operates. • The vehicle body is checked safely for any highvoltage immediately after the crash. If the safety cut-out were to fail and a damaged high-voltage wire was to be in contact with the vehicle body, then a person touching the vehicle could be injured. Test technicians use insulated gloves and stand on a rubber mat to ensure that the vehicle has no high voltages and is safe to touch. • The battery is examined for any sign of damage, such as intrusion into the battery unit, leakage of fluids, fire or abnormal heat. We can all play our part to ensure the future of the Australian vehicle fleet is both safe and green. Safety and environmental performance are top-of-mind considerations for new car buyers today, and ANCAP encourages all consumers and fleet buyers to consider the safest green vehicle they can afford. Safe and green: Environmental outcomes should not come at the cost of safety.

Edited by octave
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

There's a story beat-up on the MSN news media about someone running their car out of battery power reserve, and a photo showing someone else charging the car on the edge of the highway, from another vehicle.

I don't see what the news is. Would they make it a news item, if someone ran out of petrol? All it shows is someone's lack of planning, in not ensuring they had enough battery reserve to get where they were going. Do EV's have a "range" indicator, the same as many IC cars do today? I'm sure they do.

The only thing the article needs to advise about is the stupidity of recharging so close to passing traffic and showing the cord lying on the highway side of the road. There's no way I'd be doing that, the way many people drive.

Edited by onetrack

You wouldn't take off without the required reserves, and driving, ICE or EV, should be no different. Would you fly somewhere that required more than half your fuel if you weren't sure you could refuel at your destination?

• Agree 2

Aircraft are quite likely to catch fire after  an aircraft crash. That's always been so.  That's why each model must actually demonstrate an evacuation can be done within a specified time with only a limited number of exits available like on one side.   Nev

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, octave said:

Test technicians use insulated gloves and stand on a rubber mat to ensure that the vehicle has no high voltages and is safe to touch.

That's good OH&S practice in a controlled environment, but think what usually happens in the immediate aftermath of a prang. Good Samaritans rush to assist the occupants, but they would not have the the knowledge of the potential danger, nor readily available protective clothing. Imagine such a prang happening on a wet day.

It's obvious that there needs to be a public education programme to warn the public of the potential dangers of approaching a crashed EV. That is less so for ICEs as the most dangerous situation with one of them is a fuel fire, and safety only requires one not to approach.