Electric car thread

spenaroo

This is just confirmation of what EV and battery manufacturers have been saying and demonstrating with battery warranties. My MG4 came with an unlimited km 7 year warranty on car & battery. That has now been extended to 10 years and in Thailand & China the warranty is extended to a lifetime warranty. I don't know if this is for the original owner or whether it is transferable to second and subsequent owners. It is capped at 20,000 km a year which is fine for most people so won't apply to taxis & hire cars or probably any used commercially I imagine.

After 1 year and 16,000 km my car is reporting battery state of health as 100%.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

The price drop is for all purchasers not businesses. My model which was $50,400 on the road is now $39,990 on the road. At the time I got  a State incentive of $3,000 so it was $47,400 all up. The price had already dropped to $47,900 on the road now there is a factory bonus of $8,000 to bring the top spec car to under 40k.

There is a facelift model due out in early 2025 so the price drop is to try to get rid of current stock before then. Deals like this happen all the time with all manufacturers. Mazda has been offering big discounts on unsold 2022 models. There are also some good prices on demo cars with only a thousand km or so on the clock.

• Informative 1

The Chinese EV industry is in major turmoil and I can't see clearly as to what the end result will be - but one thing I can see, is a major "restructuring" of the Chinese EV production, and a lot of brands will simply disappear. The Chinese car dealers are wrestling with enormous losses.

https://www.scmp.com/business/china-evs/article/3279679/chinas-car-dealers-struggle-us20-billion-losses-amid-price-war

A flow on effect of bottomless government subsidisation of an industry.

I heard that the Chinese state subsidised the EV manufacturers ti the tune of $350 billion in an attempt to control the world market and squash the competition.

They are still learning how capitalism works. And are not very good at it.

On the other hand, we see the US situation where uncontrolled capitalism has destroyed their car manufacturing industry.

Both sides would do well to closely study themselves and their competitors.

Maybe reread The Art of War, and learn some history?

• Like 2