Celebrating Positives (offset of the Gripes Thread)

Jerry_Atrick

Back when I was in high school, and dynasaurs roamed the country, I had a Christmas holiday job in a butcher shop in a country town. After the various cuts of meat were removed from the carcase, the remaining meat was trimmed, minced, mixed with water and some white powdered stuff (it was 60 odd years ago, I don't remember what it was), then forced through a filling machine into one long sausage, before being twisted into the three sausage links. I never got the hang of that.

• Informative 2

Sounds like it wouldn't be that  BAD. The white stuff would be breadcrumbs or flour. I often add some red wine to sausages and pierce them. It Caramelises and really makes the snags a class act.  Pity I've given such things up.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

The brothers FIL (Jim) worked as an assistant in a butcher shop in Pingelly, W.A., just after WW2. The butcher shop owner Fred, was known as a regular practical joker and wisecracker.

One day, Jim told us, a brass ring that was part of the mincing machine fell out of the machine, and ended up in the batch of mince, and no-one noticed.

What was even more amazing, one of the towns old biddies came into the shop, and bought a couple of pounds of mince - and the brass ring ended up in her mince purchase, and still no-one noticed!

She got home and was unwrapping the mince when she came across the brass ring. She went back to the shop, and Fred was on the counter. 

The woman produced the brass ring and said to Fred, "Mr XXXX, I found this big piece of metal in my mince purchase!"

Fred, quick as a flash, spun around and addressed Jim in the back of the shop, and yelled out, "JIM!! Didn't you take the collar off that dog, before you put him through the mincer!?"

Jim reckoned the old biddy gasped in horror, spun around, and ran out of the shop, before Fred could even speak to her!!   :cheezy grin:

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, old man emu said:

Was it the Scott's in Orpington?

SCOTTS PIE & MASH, Orpington - Photos & Restaurant Reviews - Food Delivery  & Takeaway - Tripadvisor

Being a Philistine from Melbourne, we only got Four 'n Twenty when I was a kid. Sort of along the football, meat pies, kangaroos, and holden cars:

But I preferred my pies with a little hot stuff:

And washed down wit Big M (Blueberry or Blue Passion or whaetever it was called was my favourite):

(sadly I couldn't find the ones with Jana Wendt and the milk running down her... ahems...)

Anyway, in the 80's lunch time pies in the CBD and office districts became a bit of a gastronomers delight.. they were fantsstic (not cheap); mainly indepdent shops for the lunch time trade - Beef & Burgundy was one that stood out for me, Steak and Mushroom was a nother and the pastry was proper stuff..

I love pies - especially on a hot day. And one of my faves is (or was) four n twenty stock standard pie. Hard to get in Melbourne ready to eat; When I was last in Melb, 7-11 had these crappy mince beef pies that were cheaper than four n twenty; as did the take away shop at Moorabbin airport. Hardly any milk bars these days, and those that were around didn't have pie warmers, anyway. I didn't check the office districts/CBD as both the last times I was I was in Aus, was only a couple of days each time (one a funeral, one my mother's 80th). Only foudn the four n twenty at Coles Express (yeah, Coles may be ripping off people, but you can still get good Aussie kwality pies).

Normally when I arrive at Tulla, there is a BP station on the way out where I stop to grab my Four n Twenty hit; the last couple of times, as my brother picked me up at the airport, I was whisked right past that BP without a chance to see if there was one waiting for me...

9 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Probably because the majority of kebabs, curries, Asian, Greek, etc etc are far more tasty and probably healthier than the abattoir sweepings inside a pastry case.

Oooh.. Really.. If they are Doner Kebabs, then the mince lamb could be anything. Yeah you get a sald, I guess.. Would you like a garnish with your horse and rat combination that is also full of salt, etc.. And I recall a story on here how the curries they have had did not really resemble food, but there were tins of something that they found were in it. Here, I never have a Doner kebab.. If they are marinated lamb steaks or checken breasts heaped on teh rotisserie, yeah they are lovely... But otherwise, er... no thanks..

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Litespeed said:

No need to wonder

Watch Sweeney Todd.

The healthy way of using a human corpse

Sad to say I lost my Sweeny Todd record (and my cat) when I walked out on my wife. I liked that record. And the cat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this week so far has been.. interesting. Monday was no worries; in fact, the only downer on Monday was hit clocking past midnight. Tuesday morning - 3am and I am up and getting into my car. My phone slips out of my grip and I drop it just like I have done a thousand times before. Unlike previous times, this time, it shatters the screen. F! But, I ascertain it works, which is good because even those my commute starts 170 miles from where I work, I get in before others, so I can still log into my desktop at work without having to wait for the help desk brigade to arrive.

I  had a fantastic drive to work.. Almost the whole way, there was not a car that overtook me, nor one that I overtook. Apart from the oncoming cars, it was like I had the rooad to myself - not a tailight in front nor headlights behind. Then I had to take a diversion/detour.. not 100 metres into it, and a thwack on the windscreen and a decent sized chip. No probs, except on Friday, I have to have the car in for an MOT (RWC) to renew the rego, and if it  does not pass on Friday, the car is grounded as Friday is the expiry date (I had it in fo last week, but had to delay because of being in London longer than I wanted to be).  I was a little miffed and yelledd a couple of expletives, but settled down quickly. I thought next would be the specs I was wearing.

I got to work and there were a few niggles. but nothing to remember. On the train back to Richmond ready for a bite at the pub and to finish my assignement, and an old acquaintance from the area and I bumped into each other. A great chat, and next week, we are having dinner at the pub.. He and his wife are a lovely couple and just downright friendly... Althogh about 50, he is about to retire, and he an dhis wofe are thinking of moving back to Germany.

Yesterday, started wll, and ended rather poorly.. Work things went a little in the shape of a pear that had been stomped on.On the train back to the car, I was a little, er.. restless. But, I had the whole of what used to be first class to myself (a lot of people haven't cottoned on that some of the routes no longer officially have first class), Managed to get some work done; jumped in the car, going through road works, the bus breaks down and blocks both ways. F! Have to take a nuisance of a detour.

But once settled into the motorway drive, I am able to relax, and although it is night, take in the sights The traffic is light, and I stop for a bite (worst ever motorway services food I have had).. I stop twice more and end up home at a decent hour.

Oh yeah, almost forgot.. have been interviewing like crazy for a new hire. The agencies sent people with superb CVs.. One candidate had the knowledge and experience but was so far up his own orafice, he could re-pre-digest the food he ate for breakfast if he wanted to. The other was so nice as a bloke but could not really talk to what we wanted him to talk to on his CV. Todayt we interviewed the diversity and inclsuion candidate.. CV had just enough on it to qualify and to be honest, it I didn't know she was either female or shemale (she has the same name as a famous Kinks song), she would not have made the cut. Well, to top off the D&I tick box, she is balck as well.

And she was not only the best candidate by a mile for this role, but he best candidate I have seen for a very long time (she did work at one of the firms I previously worked, and on the systems I worked, so I grilled her, and she was right on the money). Tring to get her in front of stakeholders and if they like her, she is in the door.

Today was fraught with more emergency meetings, and what I call career limiting emails and discussions, and the day ends with a positive - and internal stakeholder and I had a meeting and he was extemely supportive of what I am trying to do - an dimportanly his boss, who is a senior exec is also extremely supportive.

I closed down the computer to chat to you fellas.

Yeah, there were a few hiccups, but if they are bad, we have cause to celebrate much more good.

(BTW, Wolfie has just joined me now.. Unless Grant Burge comes along, I would say does it get any better than this?)

• Informative 1

Last year I learned a valuable lesson about Annual Rego (MoT) inspections - get them done at least two weeks before your rego expires. Last year I went to my regular bloke to get my check a few days before the rego expired. We both knew that one of my rear shocks had a leak, but we decided that I since I was going to Sydney, I would source them from a place I can get a bit of a discount. But the bloke them was on holidays, so I had to go to someone I didn't know. That bloke picked out the nits and I had to rush around while I was in Sydney to get someone to install the new shocks before the rego ran out and I was stuck in Sydney.

This year I went to my regular bloke and confirmed that he would be on holidays around the time that my rego expired. He said that a pink slip was good for six months, so I booked the car in for an inspection for when he would be able to do it. The worst part about the arrangement we have is that he says he's going to retire in about 18 months and I'll have to find another amenable inspector. 

• Informative 2

AND 

When all the inspections are done.

A nut comes off somewhere,  then the crash writes off your car .

My eldest daughter picked up her mini , after the " road safety  inspection " and promptly ran into the car infront , as the mechanic had snapped the " break pedal " pin , trying to stop a mini in less time than a new one .

Luckily , only slight damage to both car's . ( made her late for school though) .

spacesailor

• Informative 1

Excellent stuff, OME.

On another note, time really does fly when one is having fun. Most of us can remember those one hour flying lessons breezing by at twice the knots that the aircraft was going. Well, I have been telling everyone back in November that it was my third anniversary at work. But I just checked, and it is my 4th. When I look back, it feels like three years, but I have actually really enjoyed this job. How good is that? Most people aren't in that position at all..

So,  I estimated how long I have been on different incarnations of this forum. I fugured it was 5 years give or take - but it is 7.5 years. Heck - to some of you, it must seem like a prison sentence.. But time does fly when you're having fun.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Congratulations Jerry.

When it comes to 'quality of life', there are only two things that you have some control over.

If you can go to bed each night feeling good about your day's work, and wake up each day next to a person you are happy with..... you are better off than most of the people on the planet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You will sleep better in your OWN room. Be honest. Sleeping with someone doesn't mean SLEEPING. Its that slap and tickle stuff and people snore  Kick and turn over and take the sheets of you. . That's NOT conducive to relaxation.  Nev

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I moved our sailboat from Port Huon to kettering. A calm day. Started at first light, ghosted out of port through fog, then the sun came up, making beautiful shadows through the fog as it lifted. All in all, a lovely day sail. At one point, I went around a fish farm the was being relocated by slow moving tugboat - it was being followed by a couple of lazy fur seals - they were following their food source. Unfortunately I didn't catch any huge mulloway.

20240405_105009.jpg

• Like 3

At night you may occasionally see a long tom spear a Prawn if you shine a torch. Prawns only need shallow water. Blue swimmers are a lot of work to eat.  You can get them easily before the wind disturbs the surface in the morning with a Nail flattened and sharpened  (with Barbs) on the end of a thin broom handle. Spear the one you want from the front of a rowing boat. My favourite  is a spanner crab or a Muddie at the right time of the year. At the wrong time, They have hardly any flesh in the claws. I'm fairly sure I've got Spanner crabs at Nelson Bay. I've fished off a sandbar on the teagardens side all night.. Watch the tides though  The water level rose abut 2-3 feet and stayed there  I was already above my knees I had all my bait floating around my feet  and god knows what Denizens of the deep feeling their way around my legs. I could feel big things bumping against me It got deeper between the sand bar and the shore and I didn't want to swim for it and splash around.  Once is enough to try that one. Dumb idea.   Oh did I mention I  LIKE fishing and you can't beat an absolutely fresh one.  A lot of it is OFF before you get it. Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

13 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Litespeed, are you making this up just to make me jealous? How do lures work in the dark?

Whatcha gunna do when ya get sick and tired of eating fish.... and blue swimmers.... and prawns?

The lures work fine, fish can see colours we don't and have acute night vision. What's looks boring silverfish to us can be a bright kaleidoscope of colours to them.

There is a real art cum science in making a quality lure.

The lure he used looked like a 5 inch prawn and also has metal rattle beads inside the soft body and integrated  hook. I can't remember the brand but the $20 at the marina fishing shop is a bargain as they work brilliant.

Mate has caught 3 big Jews and lure is still perfect, most don't last long at all. 20kg of fillets @ $40 min a kg- the wholesaler price to quality restaurants is $800 of flesh for a $20 lure!

Buying fresh Jew is not easy, rarely seen even at the markets.

What do I do when bored of such bounty?

Like all poor buggers, I eat Oysters. I ring a friendly guy and he delivers that day $15 a dozen for the best big Sydney rocks. Or  I just grab them off the rocks myself.

I also buy quality lamb,beef or organic chook and play chef.

Here is a pick from my best friends houseboat, they are all plate size fish- Tarwhine(fast growing bream).

They are actually treated as pets and love hanging about, like living at the aquarium.

IMG_20240319_164421.jpg

• Like 3
  • Winner 1