Celebrating Positives (offset of the Gripes Thread)

Jerry_Atrick

Spacey, it's called "gracious acceptance" when someone gives you a gift. Accept it with thanks and gratitude, these kind of events are few and far between. Don't forget to "pay it along" when you see someone worse off than you, genuinely in need.

On the Celebrating Positives angle - while getting kicked out of my rented workshop/factory unit was a real kick in the guts - whilst cleaning up along the side of the shed, I pulled out some junk lying at the base of the shed wall - and found a $10 note!

The amazing part is, it had been there so long, it had laid folded over a piece of metal, with the top portion facing the sun, and when I picked it up, the sun-damaged portion of it broke, resulting in a $10 note in two pieces!

Regardless, the serial number was still clearly visible, so I took it down to the local Bendigo Bank and swapped it for a new one without a problem!

• Like 3

Pay forward ,

' done ' I worked on a car for free , to help my neighbour .

Their lock had frozen & I supervised him how to disassemble, then repair 

And tomorrow we may get it " all " working ,

without buying new ' expensive ' parts .

spacesailor

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

I mentioned being in close contact with A Covid person. I didn't get it so you can take your Masks off now and come closer to the screen.  Nev

I haven't been game to take off on 18 at Kyneton since you mentioned it.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The UK/Australia Free Trade Agreement. Waitrose has started stocking original, salted caramel and dark chocolate Tim Tams. For me, it can only be original. They are £2.50 a packet, or just shy of $5. They are 9 grams lighter than the packs in Coles online, @ $5 a pack. I guess there is a slight regulatory difference in terms of what can be weighed.

Have made sure there has been ample demand to keep the buyers buying them 😉

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Sad 1

Arnotts ORIGINAL Tim Tams? They have got more hide than Jessie the elephant.

It's a scam. There's no such thing as 'original' Tim Tams, not since that american mob bought the company.

You don't really believe that you can get REAL buscuits from an american soup company?

Oh darn. There I go again, tainting this nice positive thread with a gripe.

OK, here's a positive. It was a great idea to make dark chilli chocolate Tim Tams.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 18/07/2024 at 11:32 PM, nomadpete said:

Arnotts ORIGINAL Tim Tams? They have got more hide than Jessie the elephant.

It's a scam. There's no such thing as 'original' Tim Tams, not since that american mob bought the company.

Yes, I know.. But in original, I mean they are the original recipe (or close enough to them). I used to munch on them regularly when they were owned by, I think it was,  Nabisco. If the original recipe has changed, it hasn't changed much, and that is what I mean by original. Also, they are still made in Australia, to an Australian recipe. So, I resile myself to the fact that not many icons are Aussie.. some never were (Holden, Fords).

Sadly, many australian icons have been allowed to fall into US or foreign hands. Most of the meat you eat is distributed by a Brazillian processor: https://jbsaussiebeef.com.au/resources/jbs-australia/

Unlike most of the chocolate bars and Ice creams in Aus that have switched to the US recipe (try a Mars in Aus v a Mars in Europe; Magnums in Aus are like UHT milk compared to here, where they also put real vanilla beans in the ice-cream)... And Tim Tams, while not still Aussie owned, are Aussie to the core.

So, I will celebrate it as a positive that I can get them here without paying about twice th price..

Although, there is a gripe.. my waist line - will become a waste line.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Informative 1

You'd better come to W.A. for your genuine Aussie meat, then Jerry - not a single one of those JBS brands operates in, nor supplies anyone in W.A., to my knowledge. We have our own local brands still, with Harvey Beef being dominant.

• Like 1

Celebrating POSITIVES......

Not gripes........

Last night it was a tad cool at our camp.  Now, this is no gripe. I enjoy the fresh cool air and the great outdoors. In this case the best part about the fresh  cool air is that it can be kept outdoors. Mostly. Well maybe not all that much when one is sleeping under canvas. Due to an unseasonable stratospheric  sudden warming over antarctica, we had a couple of nights where the pleasure of fresh cool country air was dampened by the presence of antarctic air arriving at our campsite at Wilpena Pound. Early morning our slumber (a 3 doona night) was disturbed when internal condensation started dropping ice drips on us.

Oh, the joys of the great outdoors!

Tonight we sleep undisturbed in a warm central heated cabin. Just for a change.

20240728_162053.jpg

20240728_083418.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

17 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Celebrating POSITIVES......

Not gripes........

Last night it was a tad cool at our camp.  Now, this is no gripe. I enjoy the fresh cool air and the great outdoors. In this case the best part about the fresh  cool air is that it can be kept outdoors. Mostly. Well maybe not all that much when one is sleeping under canvas. Due to an unseasonable stratospheric  sudden warming over antarctica, we had a couple of nights where the pleasure of fresh cool country air was dampened by the presence of antarctic air arriving at our campsite at Wilpena Pound. Early morning our slumber (a 3 doona night) was disturbed when internal condensation started dropping ice drips on us.

Oh, the joys of the great outdoors!

Tonight we sleep undisturbed in a warm central heated cabin. Just for a change.

20240728_162053.jpg

20240728_083418.jpg

The Flinders Ranges are a beautiful part of the country. I spent a fair bit of time working around there in 1984. We were contracting for Santos and spent the better part of a year around there and up around Lake Eyre. The job started at Frome Downs, and being based at Toowoomba, we went down via Noccundra then down the Silver City Highway and cut across one of the Quinambie Station tracks to Frome. It was great working there every day with the Flinders as a backdrop. That was a year of a particularly cold winter. We only had sleet at Frome Downs, but it snowed around Toowoomba which doesn't happen there very often.

It was a Turnkey job so we were able to clock up a bit of extra production and take a rare day off, so we drove up to Arkaroola but unfortunately didn't have the time to see Wilpena Pound. After Frome we went up to Lake Callabonna area. From there we worked around Lake Eyre South, up the west side of Lake Eyre on Macumba Station, around the top of Lake Eyre and then north up into the ephemeral lakes region across to the Simpson Desert border. It was a great year for adventure and sightseeing but a lot of work. In those days our standard hitch in the field was six weeks on/two weeks off but the work was there and I was saving money so did ten week hitches for most of the year. It knocks you about a bit when it's seven days per week of fourteen hour days.

At one stage in the north above Lake Eyre, the country was difficult to move a camp into so we were traveling to the job four hours each way over the sand dunes. The good part was I got to camp out in the desert in solitude on occasion. It's nice sitting around the fire and knowing there's not another human within 100klm..

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

On 29/07/2024 at 11:44 AM, willedoo said:

It's nice sitting around the fire and knowing there's not another human within 100klm

My favorite thing to do!

Wilpena Pound only looks great from the air. We found some really inviting campsites but they will wait until our next foray.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Quality Aussie Manufacturing: https://rode.com/en/about/about-rode

I had no idea and had already puchased some of their more professional audio headsets. I only realised they were Australian when I just received sone boradcast quality wireless mics and say the Made in Australia logo. So, not only Aussie owned, but they haven't yet moved their manufacturing to China! And they are pretty well world renowned in the audio industry.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3