Food

willedoo

I've always found the "no-name" fly spray cans have virtually the same amount and types of pesticides in them, and they work just as well as the Brand Name ones we see advertised on TV constantly.

At $2.50 a can for the no-name variety, you can see just how much goes on advertising, and the high profit levels, of the Brand Name varieties!

I tried , many years ago . " black flag fly spray " .

It worked , but , later another swarm of flies came ,& I sprayed them . I looked at the windows to see how many '  corpses ' were there , and as I watched a fly suddenly got up & flew up into the top windows pane. 

That " fly spray " only knocked them out .

spacesailor

PS. : killer spray for the " pacifist " .LoL

Edited by spacesailor
PS added
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, willedoo said:

I noticed is that the odourless Mortein spray is nowhere as effective as the regular stuff.

When I got home from the shops, I discovered that I had a can of odourless spray in the cupboard. I compared the ingredients and the odourless one had 1/4 the amount of two chemicals, the pyrethroids,  none of another, but heaps of Piperonyl butoxide (PBO), a man-made pesticide synergist. By itself, PBO is not designed to harm insects. Instead, it works with bug killers to increase their effectiveness. It also contained a truck load of N-Octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide. It has no intrinsic pesticidal qualities itself, but rather is a synergist enhancing the potency of pyrethroid ingredients.  So when you try to "hit 'em with the old PeaBeau" you are more likely to drown them in a non-toxic fluid than poison them.

Obviously the pyrethroids are expensive chemicals, so the PBO and the other stuff means not so much is require. Allegedly.

• Informative 2

1 hour ago, willedoo said:

I get a lot of mosquitos here and one thing I noticed is that the odourless Mortein spray is nowhere as effective as the regular stuff. It doesn't smell but it also doesn't work.

I agree. It is described as low irritant, but you need something that irritates the buggery out of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Eggs are in very short supply. Woolies (Brentford Sq and Forest Hill) - sold out. Aldi Forest Hill - sold out. Coles Forest Hill 8 or 10 dozen only on the shelf.

While at Woolies Forest Hill, I saw an Asia couple whom I thought were doomsday preppers. They were pushing a trolley which had at least 70 toilet rolls in it.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, facthunter said:

If it hurts bugs it will hurt you. Use a "blue" zapper and bats eat their own weight in insects each day.  Nev

Thanks! Great idea!

Where do you buy your bats?

Will the Federal government provide me  pink ones?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2024 at 7:29 PM, nomadpete said:

My potatos, beans and tomatoes are affordable whilst they are growing in the veggie patch.

My neighbour's lamb is affordable, too.

Thae Colesworth's food has been getting a bit over the top so we don't buy much of that.

Fresh food is wonderful, especially if it's fresh from the garden. Do you enjoy gardening? 

I love eating fresh food from the garden.

1 minute ago, old man emu said:

Bugger the perspective, give us a recipe for garden-fresh food. I was just about to google a recipe for a salad dressing.

Potato salad:

Steam some diced potatoes then when they're cool combine with a good mayonnaise and fresh parsley and garlic from the garden. Make sure the potatoes are from the garden too.

Went to the doctor today to review blood test results. Doctor say my HDL and LDL cholesterol are above desired levels, but didn't panic. Then the doc tells me that my higher cholesterol levels are due to my genetics. Now I've got to consider cutting some placental animal fat from my diet to see if I can knock those levels down. The doc also said that my blood sugar level rose slightly, so classifies me as pre-diabetic. And I thought I was doing pretty good as I've lost 4 kgs in the past three months. Not a massive lot, but slow and steady wins the race. I should be able to shed a bit more as I increase the amount of exercise I get through cracking on with the reno.

• Informative 2