Stuff the locals

red750

Public Transport Victoria has opened a new railway station at Keon Park, in Melbourne's north. It is adjacent to home units, only a couple of metres away.

KeonParkstation.thumb.jpg.9602d51e9933eb529a4ecdc2ad42899b.jpg

Residents lodged objections to the plan but were ignored. Now they have the constant noise of trains and platform announcements.

The government's response - issued them with earmuffs - for use in their own home?

The Transport Minister attended opening of the station - refused to meet with residents. 

Stations work better when they are closer to where People live and you don't have to use the car and park it in the sun all day.. You live in a modern city where a decent Public Transport system is what people want. and need. .  Nev

So? Firstly, it is a monorail and said, according to the video, to be the same volume as a conversation. Second the station was built at the same time as the building. Residences are a couple of storeys above the station, not right outside the windows. Apparently at Keon Park, train passengers can see into the units. 

IF YOU were the Gov't Red what would you do? . Sydney's electric train system put them way ahead of Melbourne after the war. They could be underground because Sydney has a lot of sandstone. They let the Maintenance slip a  while ago and had a few derailments. The never had Melbourne's dangerous level  and traffic jambing crossings to the same extent either. A lot of this has been addressed. and no one wants to Pay..  Nev

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Will you ever use the station?  Nev

What's that got to do with the price of fish? (By the way, that's an expression). I live no where near it and never travel that way. Just because I don't use it doesn't mean that I can't empathise with the residents of that block who have been totally ignored by the state government. They asked for public input, then totally ignored it. No consultation or suggestions for compromise (double glazing, soundproofing, etc.) Wouldn't even speak to them when the minister was right on the doorstep.

As usual, there is more to meet the eye than headlines: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06-21/keon-park-apartment-skyrail-station-balcony-concerns/104005800

So, it looks like it was more or less the original line that was elevated. Because it had to be elevated, it became close to the balconies, when I guess the apartment block ground floors were built with the noise (not inclduding the station announcements) was sourced at the ground in mind and probably had effective noise and privacy management included. The station was moved closer to the buildings, which is also the source of complaint.

The plans were announced in 2020 and the government offered to purchase those who had bought before the plans announced (presumably for fair market value). Of the 30 that were offered, only 10 subscribed. I can understand this.

The real gripe is not the fact it happened, so not that the trains and station are near them as the MSM are making out, but the government hasn't paid for extra sound proofing (e.g. triple-glazed windows), and tinted windowsa for privacy for the residence property  It is not because the trains and station are so close, which is what the MSM is trying to portray.

I personally think that the government should probably have stumped up the cash as a gesture of good will. The total impact to the budget would have been minimal and it would have negated most of the issues.  Now, they have backed themselves into a corner where if they do, it will be considered a U-Turn, which governments hate for some reason, and residents complaints get louder. But, importantly, it would be a case of people who are not in the upper end of the income bracket having a massive inconvenience of invasion of privacy and noise polliution through no fault of their own, having them mitigated  and a better quality of life.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

It will be only the ' wealthier '  that could afford to sell & move to a better area .

The wealthier will put in anything that would be necessarily needed.

The poor would have to bear the unpleasant conditions. 

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor

The government offered to buy presumably at fair market values (ex works) as nowhere could I find complaints about the prices offered.

But I agree, unless they waived stamp duty on new place purchased  and subsidised moving costs, or included it in the offered price, it would be more difficult

My guess is that it is not noise from the trains, which are electric, but the noise of the announcements of arriving trains.

Ask anyone who lives adjacent to a main road or railway and they will tell you that they don't hear traffic noise. The brain ignores it because it is part of the environment and the brain has learned that it is not a threat to survival. However, the brain cannot learn to ignore the sudden sound of those announcement, which change in content and sometimes accent. You have to remember that those announcements fall into the category of "warnings". They require the listener to do something. If that something has nothing to do with your current activities, they become a real nuisance. 

Maybe the speakers could be directed more  appropriately Those sorts of things can be done. City noises also have Fire engines Police sirens Ambulances and engine braked trucks.. I've lived  near railway lines. you Do get used to it. You'd be worse off living in the BUSH  with a MANIAC Neighbour with intent to kill  as he wanted that block. and was working it before YOU bought it..AND He's mates with the local Cop.. Nev

49 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Maybe the speakers could be directed more  appropriately Those sorts of things can be done.

Or more destination boards. The ones in Sydney's rail system provide the information a traveller might want in a clear, regularly updated manner. I don't recall hearing arrival announcements when I traveled the Circle.