Had a Bingle Today

On the  way home from the supermarket, driving on the country lane into our village, I came to a quick stop, colliding with an oncoming car. These are single lane lanes that have dugouts every so often for passing. When I learned to ride a motorbike here, they taught us that we should not be going so fast as not to be able to stop in the distance we can see in front of us. Thankfully, I had the Go Pro on and it captured that we didn't have a lot of time to react or stop,but I had both stopped in the distance I could see and before the collision (i.e. she was still moving forward when we hit).

I have no idea what the legal position is, for this one and no doubt the insurance companies will work it out.

Her husband arrived and insinuated as a foreigner it was my fault. I let him know I had it on video and the insurance companies would make that determination. That, and his wife scolding him, shut him up a bit. But what a prat.

When the insurance is done with, I will post the vid. As this was practising for YouTube, I was discussing the idea of going to the pub for a quick pint. Ah well.. hadn't been there, yet.

• Sad 2

It has always amazed me when I see cars driving on the UK narrow roads on TV that there are not more accidents, particularly with those hedgerows making seeing around corners impossible. Makes our roads look like major airport runways.

• Agree 4

The hedges alongside motorways block the views of the landscape as you drive along. Makes for very boring travel. Ans what about those hump-backed bridges over streams. Absolutely no sight distance at all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well, insurance company has the tape; the car gets picked up tomorrow to be fixed. I thought that there may be a bingle or two down these lanes, so I paid a bit extra to protect my no claims discount. Have supplied the vid to the insurers and apparently, if a car is stationary when hit, it is the other driver's fault. However, I was only stationary for about a second, if that.

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

However, I was only stationary for about a second, if that.

But the video will show that you reacted to the possibility of a collision and began stopping. That your vehicle stopped before the impact, no matter for how short a time, will be very important in the determination of who has to pay. 

10 hours ago, spacesailor said:

UK had ' very steep ' short bridges over canals.

Lorries couldn't go over them, as they would bottom out , with the drive wheels spinning helplessly. 

spacesailor

And humpy railway crossings, where long lorries get cleaned up by express trains.

• Agree 1

Car was pickd up on Tuesday.. Have to check the emails of partner to check the news. Courtesy car is OK. Actually, apart from 20 minutes with the claims fella on the phone and a wait for the car to be picked up, so far, nor real inconvenience. Will wait and see if that persists.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1