Music videos

And here's a bit of an oldie:

Actually, about a year ago at a local theatre/concert hall, I went to a night with whoever the guy is in the dark vest.. an acosutic trip down memory lane.

Was a good eve with him and another bloke not related to the original band on the acoustic guitars.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

And here's one for around Marty's age (the whippersnapper ;-))

(Edit, actually grunge, which is what this is, is one of my favourite genres.. but I am sparing you fellas my favourites).

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1

On 24/08/2024 at 5:18 AM, Jerry_Atrick said:

And this is one my daughter listens to:

Just pure coincidence but there's an Australian singer/songwriter based in the U.S. with the same surname called Eddie Benjamin who has a very similar squeaky little girl voice.

Here's Bonnie and John Lee Hooker. One of the first blues records I ever bought was a John Lee Hooker record. I came across a small second-hand record shop with a few different genres of music but the owner had a fairly decent blues section, about a half a cubic metre of them. Depending on artist and condition, they varied in price from seventy five cents to one dollar fifty. I bought a mix of them including Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Howlin' Wolf, Leadbelly, John Lee Hooker, Elmore James and Lightnin' Hopkins. Some were original recordings and if I'd had a crystal ball and seen how rare some of those would become, I would have bought the lot.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's that Brazilian lady on the guitar again. I posted it as a example of how people can make a good living using social media. Larissa Liveir came from relative obscurity and started posting her guitar videos armed with nothing but some musical talent and good looks. She does instrumental guitar covers with the occasional bit of keyboards thrown in. At this stage, she has over 3 million subscribers on YouTube, 1.6 million followers on Instagram, 825,000 followers on Tik Tok, and a measly 144,000 followers on Facebook. She's made over 2 million USD on YouTube alone, not counting the income from the other platforms and the sponsorship income. Assuming the sponsor companies let her keep the gear, she would likely have at least $100,000 worth of guitars, amps, keyboards and other equipment as she plays on a variety of equipment. Not a bad earner for someone playing other people's songs with no band.

With the technology available these days it's a lot easier to do than in the past. In the old days, they had to gain the interest of a record company and then sign their life away with a rip-off contract. Now there's the internet and various social media platforms to promote their work, so plenty of musicians can work independently right from the start.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Another income stream for her is selling her beginner's guides and 'how to...' E-books.

What I like about that sort of thing is that it takes the power and industry domination away from the corporates and provides opportunity for the masses.

Edited by willedoo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Watching all these music videos is dangerous I find. I get a bit carried away and almost bought another guitar yesterday. But I slapped myself and reasoned that the money would buy that new 10x5 tandem trailer that I really need much more than another guitar. The guitar is a type that has been on the bucket list since I was 20 years old and will happen one day. Maybe just not now. It's interesting how if you sleep on things, the next day can often bring better reasoning.

Anyway, this is the guitar - a gold top Gibson Les Paul 70's Deluxe. And maybe, just maybe, I might sneak down on the weekend and have a look at it. Just out of interest, mind you..

8000332.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

And one bad thing about the Gibson Les Paul guitar is that they are vulnerable to breaking the headstock off. That headstock is of the type that angles back from the guitar neck so that if they fall over backwards, there's a good chance of the head breaking off. It's a design flaw that Gibson have stuck with for some unknown reason. The problem is that the neck and head are a single carved piece of wood and is very thin in the region of the nut (the bone or plastic piece that raises the strings off the fretboard at the top end of the neck. It's a bad vulnerability considering the price of them.

3669744_orig.png

Some ancient trivia - Booker T. and the MG's base player Donald "Duck" Dunn and guitarist Steve Cropper were both in the Blues Brothers Band with John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd. Here they are much earlier and sans beards in the MG's:

• Like 2