Music videos

5 hours ago, willedoo said:

And one bad thing about the Gibson Les Paul guitar is that they are vulnerable to breaking the headstock off. That headstock is of the type that angles back from the guitar neck so that if they fall over backwards, there's a good chance of the head breaking off. It's a design flaw that Gibson have stuck with for some unknown reason. The problem is that the neck and head are a single carved piece of wood and is very thin in the region of the nut (the bone or plastic piece that raises the strings off the fretboard at the top end of the neck. It's a bad vulnerability considering the price of them.

3669744_orig.png

I bought a Maton acoustic in 1982 and the paperwork that came with it said they used a `double cantilever' truss rod design that was unique to Maton. The rod had two kinks in it that was supposed to apply an internal upward pressure on the neck. I wrote to them, said I was a structural engineer and that their elaborate truss rod design was unnecessary and that the theory on which it was based was not optimum for what they wanted to achieve, going on to explain with diagrams how they could quite easily fix it. In due course I received a polite letter signed by Vera May herself, thanking me for my advice, but that they were happy with the design they had. She and her husband Bill established the firm. Vera died in 2022 aged 102.

• Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...