Nostalgia

pmccarthy

Who collected the Nestles Sky Club cards? I used to get 3d per week allowance and spent it on a 3d chocolate because it came with an aeroplane card. Could never afford the album. My favourite cards were the Piper Apache, the Convair Hustler and the Starfighter. Were there other aeroplane cards? I also collected matchbox tops but don't remember aeroplanes on them.

Back.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I don't recall threepenny chocolates, and I never knew Nestle Sky Cards existed. I do recall threepenny icecream cones, but they went out of existence not long after I started school (1955).

The basic icecream cone then cost sixpence, a right bloody fortune!! I only got two shillings a week pocket money, and I don't think I started getting pocket money until I was about 9 or 10.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

Redheads matches used to run series of collectable pictures on various topics on top of each box. You cut the empty box with scissors and kept the top. I don’t know how many were in a series, about 15, but it was just enough to fit in two stacks in an orange Erinmore Flake tobacco tin. That could be carried neatly in a boy's pocket. The availability of both tells you something about my dad.

I tried to Google the subject but kept getting matchbox toys rather than box tops.

• Informative 2

Scanlens footy cards were given away with Scanlens chewing gum, and became collectors items. The highest price paid for a card was $7,200 for a card of Geelong's Polly Farmer, which had a printing fault, which made it rarer.

Scanlensfootycards.thumb.jpg.6318276d43edaf0fdecbd3d055283a70.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

7 hours ago, onetrack said:

I can only recall Stamina trousers collectable cards - Men of Stamina! - heroes in various fields, that we were supposed to worship!

https://www.carters.com.au/index.cfm/index/5836-stamina-clothes-trading-cards/

I had sets of Stamina cards too. One I remember was The Boongs, which explained about black islanders helping during the war. This was different from the fuzzy Wuzzy angels.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

I did collect them! Reading this post actually brought back some memories, so I called my mom to check. Turns out, she saved them all these years. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, those cards were such a big part of my childhood. It's funny how something so small can bring back so many good memories!

• Like 3