A Submarine story

old man emu

Here's a movie about a Royal Navy submarine's patrol. Unlike the freshly ironed crews depicted in US Navy submarine movies, this one has the crew wearing dirty clothes and smoking like chimneys. I think it is more realistic. 

• Like 1

There were no showers or baths in WW2 Nazi submarines! But the Allied ones had them, although there were usually only 2 showers for the whole crew - and no doubt, severe restrictions on how often you could shower.

• Like 1

It was interesting that the patrol was for 18 days. I think that the Yanks, Germans and Japanese went out longer.

Das Boot was an adaptation of Lothar-Günther Buchheim's 1973 German novel based on his experiences aboard German submarine U-96. To make a commercial movie of it would need some added dramatic effects. The above video seems to have been made with typical British understatement.

• Like 2

My favourite movie genres are submarine movies and courtroom dramas. One thing they both have in common is that a lot of the movie takes place with limited indoor sets. As a result of not having much outdoor scenery and effects to add to the movie, those genres have to rely on good acting and screenwriting to be successful. They are very much dialogue movies.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Litespeed said:

Das Boot, 

The best sub movie ever, very real, gritty and nothing like Hollywood crap.

Hmmmmm.... I remember watching the 4 hour director's cut and being bored to tears.

• Informative 1

On 22/07/2024 at 10:08 PM, Litespeed said:

Das Boot, 

The best sub movie ever, very real, gritty and nothing like Hollywood crap.

Down Periscope is the best submarine movie.

... and apparently the most accurate

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Do you know why the Soviets and Russians built the world's biggest subs? It's to compensate for the weight of their leather greatcoats when resurfacing. I've got a double breasted one hanging in a cupboard somewhere, the same type Sean Connery wears in Hunt for Red October, and the weight is crazy. I've never weighed it but it would be several kilos. A lot of their leather stuff is made from reindeer hide but this naval coat seems to be made from very heavy cow hide with a flock's worth of lambswool inside. Good for the arctic chill I suppose but very uncomfortable to wear.

• Informative 2

There's an app that you can use to calculate the maximum displacement of a canoe before it goes under. The maximum displacement of a canoe is greatly affected by the weight of its load. Are you sure it's not your load that is the problem? :stirrer: 

• Haha 1

In the mid 80's myself and a few mates rented a Batak house on the shore of Lake Toba in Sumatra which had a complimentary dugout  canoe thrown in. It was one of those small hollowed out log types of canoe. I was never game enough to get in it. Not a strong swimmer and Lake Toba is very deep, up to 500 metres. It was on Samosir Island in the middle of the lake so there was a very sharp drop off in water depth from the shoreline. I suppose it makes no difference whether you drown in ten feet of water or a thousand feet, but the deep water there certainly added a physiological factor to it.

• Like 2