Wildlife

I went out onto the verandah a few minutes ago and saw a small brush tailed wallaby joey only about six metres away. The only time I've seen the little ones around here is when they are still in the pouch. This one looked like it was not long independent. He spotted me and hopped away into the bush with no sign of a mother anywhere. There's some nice wildlife here. I just wish I could get rid of the foxes. They kill the neighbours chooks and last night one killed a swamp pheasant half way up my driveway, judging by the pile of feathers there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I miss the cattle egrets around my place since the cow died. She had her own personal egret that I used to call Ernie. Ernie and the cow were inseparable up until the old cow passed on at almost 20 years of age. I don't know what happened to Ernie but he probably flew away and found another cow somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Litespeed said:

Our local matte Zoro, the greater egret.

He always hangs  around even sticks his head inside to say hello.

It's amazing how trusting some birds can get. I think there's three parts to it. One is food, another is the humans not presenting a threat, and lastly some species are naturally more confident and trusting around humans than others. An example is the difference between Kookaburras and crows.

Zoro has been around for two years and comes every night at sundown.

You can't pat him but anything up to 4 feet away is ok.

I even catch fish and squid live and place them for him to eat.

He will only eat live fish.

Favs are prawns, squid, garfish and then small Tailor in that order.

Last week he went to grab a big prawn and a Jew fish went for it as well. I swear they both hit the same time and Zoro had his head in the big Jews mouth. Quick as a flash and they separated, scared the Jew and Zoro.

Funny to watch but Zoro was a bit nervous after that.

• Like 2