Paris Olympics

red750

5 hours ago, old man emu said:

Who is that "someone"? Have they the courage to stand up and say, "It was me", or are they hiding behind a cloak of anonymity? 

I didn't see any ID on the petition, although there might have been somewhere on the page. The petition has been removed.

5 hours ago, old man emu said:

I haven't seen what she did during the contest, but how many times have we seen video of indigenes mimicking kangaroos, brolgas and other animals in their dances? Why shouldn't an Australian competitor include something similar in their competition entry?

It was a cringeworthy performance that was lacking in dance skill content, but I think she was trying to break new ground. Die-hard breakdancers could be critical in that what she presented was not in the mould of breakdancing, but I think she was shaking the tree to see what apples would fall. My guess is that it was an attempt at pushing a bit of evolvement of the sport. She's had a mixed reception around the world. A laughing stock for some, but achieving almost a cult following among others. It certainly gave her some world wide recognition.

She's not the weirdest or worst breakdancer around. Some of them are really out there.

• Informative 1

It's too free-form for the Olympics - no rules, standards, etc. by which to judge. You can't set a speed record or distance record, etc. It's personal choice what you do, and viewers either love it or hate it. What's a world-class performance for one is a travesty for another. They'd be better off with Rock-Paper-Scissors.

• Agree 1

The surfing event amused me.

Apparently the French guy was quickest out to the waves and caught pretty much the only good one of the day.

The Aussie competitor sat on his board and waited for a good set that never came.  In the end his time ran out.

How is that a fair competition?  It's like doing the parallel bars but only giving both bars to one competitor.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

If you look at the first femail boxer in this article, I would suggest a similar physique: https://www.dazn.com/en-US/news/boxing/list-of-the-greatest-womens-boxers-of-all-time-do-you-agree-with-this-top-5-ranking/12mvcj2e6htrb1pkn15zh3cs3c

image.thumb.png.b422a6744fff3329821d2917934462d6.png

And remember when the Chinese women's swimmers first came to prominence in the Olympics quite some time ago - not too many blokes would have thought of taking them on in a boxing ring.

But, I think this is a real vexing issue and I can see both sides of the argument having merit. The levels of testosterone presently in the body do not seem to negate the effects of it being previously in the body during development stages. An Aussie femal boxer has slammed the press and "ignorant" about they way they have treated Khelif... She thinks there's nothing in it. I would suggest that listening to someone in the sport that has boxed against Khelif and not involved in the bout in question is probably not a bad thing. But she is neither an expert, nor is there mass agreement by others in the sport as far as I can tell.

To me, there is a simple solution - create a trans competition. Sure the numbers are low at the moment, but I wonder if a trans competition may bring more trans into competitive sport? Yes, some trans may object on the basis it discriminates against them as women (as they see themselves as women). But life isn't black and white and we have to accept compromises in all sorts of things. Also, it will provide pause to the issues to allow time for the issues to be dealt with, possibly as a stepping stone to being able to compete in femail comps, or realise that it is not inherently fair on the numbers.

• Informative 1