What's not mentioned about the 2024 US elections

old man emu

All the political hoo-ha going on about the US Presidential election in 2024 has concentrated on Trump and Harris. What we don't hear about are the elections for the really important members for the US House of Representatives and the Senate. The House of Representatives is the House that makes the laws, and the Senate is the House that approves or amends those laws and has the say in the appointment to high level positions in the Executive Branch.

The Party which controls either or both Houses is the Party which shapes the direction of the country, no matter which Party the President belongs to. During Biden's presidency, the Republicans controlled the House, making it hard for Biden to advance the Democrat agenda. At present, the Republicans hold a majority of eight seats. At this stage of the campaigning, the gap could narrow, but with the Republicans still ahead. If you go to this link you can see the current and projected positions of both parties. https://www.270towin.com/2024-house-election/ .I noticed that the projected positions don't account for seats where the sitting member is retiring. Whether those seats remain with the same party or not, I have no idea.

From the assessment in that link, one can forecast smooth sailing for Trump and stormy weather for Harris.

>
>
>

I know the sailing metaphor could have a reference to something else, but that's not intended.

• Informative 1

This quote from the above site is the most important point of all ......

QUOTE: "Keep in mind that polls are a snapshot in time, reflecting public opinion when they are conducted. As such, they may be of limited predictive value until the election gets much closer."

• Like 1

I didn't mean to ay that the analysis of the data that produced the product was gospel truth. I only meant to have it illustrate my point that if the majority in either or both houses is not of the Party of the President, then the President would have a hard time of it. We've seen that happen many times in Australian politics where the Senate is controlled by the opposite Party to that controlling the Lower House.

Another point I wanted to make is that simply not hearing anything about the campaigns for those two houses. One would think that only four people are important to the future of the USA.

• Like 3

One of the reasons for giving Biden the shove was that a lot of house and senate members were worried they would lose their seats. If they lost the senate and the presidency it would have been a total strike out for the Democrats.

• Informative 1

So ... surely some of the elections for the members of the Reps and Senate must have already been held? I wonder if the member vote results would be different now, if Kamala had been appointed much earlier?

Members in the House of Reps are elected every two years, so they have mid term (mid Presidential term) elections as well as at the same time as the Presidential election. Senators are elected for six years but are staggered so one third are up for reelection every two years. In November, the President, all House of Reps members and one third of Senators are up for the vote. Seems a crazy system having elections every two years. They'd all be in permanent election mode.

Reading this document, there's not much to envy about the American political system. I think we have a way better system here.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/about-the-white-house/our-government/the-legislative-branch/

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I'm about to start reading a book by a journalist who had incredible access to the halls of the White House. The blurb on the cover says that Trump went into the race not expecting to win, but as a massive advertising campaign to bolster himself as a powerful brand which would help establish the Trump TV network. Trump's team were in no way qualified to run a nation. One might say that Trump should have been careful about what he wished for.

It'll be an interesting read.

• Agree 1

I still hold the opinion that Kamala doesn't have the necessary "fire in her belly", leadership abilities, and ability to keep to a solid political agenda, to enable her to beat Trump.

I reckon the Presidential race will go down to the wire, and the dirty tricks produced by the Republicans will be enormous in number. The GOP are the most cunning manipulators of the U.S. political system, ever.

• Agree 2

That's a pretty neat comparison - and I believe the GOP has underestimated the amount of women they have pissed off, with their abortion laws and other religious crap, that treats women as worthless subservient slaves, and baby factories, rather than as our partners and equals. The female vote will play a big part in this upcoming election, provided the women are able to vote with independent thought, rather than being told who they have to vote for, by the "man of the house".

• Agree 1

On 31/08/2024 at 8:23 PM, onetrack said:

I still hold the opinion that Kamala doesn't have the necessary "fire in her belly", leadership abilities, and ability to keep to a solid political agenda, to enable her to beat Trump.

I think that's why she appointed Tim Walz as point man. Normally VP candidates are almost invisible, but he's everywhere. He even sat in with her in her first ever candidate press interview.

• Informative 1

As much as we Australians bitch about compulsory voting, we have it so much easier than, say Texans. https://www.votetexas.gov/register-to-vote/voter-registration-certificate.html

One thing that struck me was that in Texas you can only vote at the booth they tell you to vote at. (From the above link) On your registration certificate, you will see a precinct number. Your residence is located in a specific “precinct,” or area within the county where you will vote on Election Day. I wonder what happens if you are away from home.

That link also indicates how a person can register and get a registration certificate.

• Informative 1