Movies and TV Shows Section Added

Admin

I am not sure what happened but the last time i did a major upgrade to the site the Movies and TV Shows section went offline, probably because of a clash with the server php version. Anyway I have fixed that and turned the section back on. Hope you can make good use of it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't switched on the TV for donkeys and when I do, it is youtube or watchafl.com.au

The kids and partner watch netflix and I think Disney; and my partner watches free to air catch up TV.. Can't think of the last time I watched a traditional TV channel.

• Informative 2

I started to watch a new ABC drama "Return to Paradise" last night. Why do they have to name these fictional places so stupidly? "Dolphin Bay" for crying out loud. For starters, they showed a coastline that I really think was near Stanwell Park near Wollongong. Not any evidence of a bay, just surf breaking on the rocks at the base of cliffs. Then they had "surf lifesavers" and a surf club house. Whoever wrote that bit has never seen either a Life saving carnival, nor watched a belt and reel rescue.

It's supposed to be a murder mystery, so the body is discovered attached to the line as the life savers haul in what should have been a beltman in a belt and reel exercise. No sign of the beltman. Then the character development made too many assumptions and left out certain important factors of the main character's background. Added to that, the main character displayed a rather unappealing nature.

Sorry, Aunty, but I won't be watching this one. How about getting the English murder show "Death in Paradise" back on iView? The story lines were stereotypic, but at least the scripts were satisfying.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The worst movie I've ever tried to watch is 'Canopy'. I've had two goes at it and haven't made it past the 15 minute mark. There's absolutely no incentive to try a third time. It sounded good - a WW2 Australian fighter pilot shot down over Singapore and trying to evade Japanese patrols. The reality is it's an excruciatingly tedious arty-farty independent so-called 'suspense drama'.  Absolutely nothing happens in the movie from what the reviews say. To be fair, there's supposed to be five or six words of dialogue somewhere in the film. Good luck if you can stick it out long enough to hear one of the characters speak. It's one of those films where the camera will spend five minutes focused on a drop of water falling from a leaf. That's the suspense part. Where the drama is eludes me. This movie is not just slightly worse than some others; it's in a league all of it's own. It doesn't matter at what stage you turn the movie off; you won't miss anything. It's the same shite all the way through apparently. I'm waiting for the sequel - 'Two flies crawl up a wall'.

canopy_design_1280x676.jpg

• Haha 1

A long time back I read a book called 'Hudsons over Malaya' (or similar). Would have made a great movie. It was the story of the first Japanese invasion (shortly before Pearl Harbour).

Chronicled the Aussies trying to stop landing barges, using only biplanes and Hudson bombers to straff big ships. Then the remaining ground crews and pilots making their way down the Malay peninsula trying to escape to Australia.

Such stories SHOULD be made into movies otherwise modern people never hear about stuff that really happened.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I can recall reading a "Boys Own" story in either Pix or People magazine, around the late 1960's about a young Chinese pilot named Ho Fun, in WW2 Burma, during the advance of the Japanese into the country.

The expats were fleeing any way they could, and the men were trying to get their women and children out. The Japs had already bombed the local airstrip and written off nearly all the aircraft - but one civvy DC-3 managed to survive partly intact.

It had holes blown in it everywhere, but the locals, assisted by some Allied troops, patched the holes in the wings with sheets! They then roughly filled in as many bomb craters as they could in the short time available, to make a barely useable, but much shortened runway.

Then they dragged the Dakota backwards to a large tree, and secured the tail to the tree with a big hemp rope! - after which they loaded around 40+ women and children into the aircraft! Capt Ho cranked up the engines, opened the throttles, and waved to the troops at the rear of the aircraft - whereby they promptly cut the rope with an axe!

The Dak took off in the shortened area available, and they made it to Singapore, with sheets flapping terrifyingly. After unloading his precious cargo, Capt Ho badgered the Allies to refuel the Dak so he could go back and pick up more expats! 

The aviation people in Singapore were appalled at the condition of the Dak, but Capt Ho must have been a persuasive talker.

He managed to get fully refuelled, but upon takeoff, just as he reached near V2, a main gear tyre blew, the aircraft slewed badly, cartwheeled, burst into flames, and Capt Ho was incinerated.

The story was worthy of a movie, but no doubt, so were many more instances of great bravery in WW2, that were never recorded.

The best "warry" book I've read is "Ring of Fire", the story of the small band of Australian commandoes from the 2/2 Australian Independent Company - Sparrow Force - who kept the Japanese tied up on Timor for over 7 months with hardly any logistics support. Only a couple of hundred Australian diggers kept something like 10,000 Japanese troops on edge with constant ambushes, and they slaughtered over 1,000 Japs with only a small number of casualties themselves.

A second book about these blokes is titled, "The Men Who Came Out of the Ground" - a term they picked up from the frightened Japanese, who reckoned the Aussies popped up out of the ground like phantoms, and then promptly disappeared again!

The secret to their success was the Timor terrain - a narrow coastal plain running into deep ravines and high terrain, heading inland. The Japs would always march along the beach in a large group - the Aussies would hide in the ravines, ambush the Japs, and give them curry - and as soon as the Japs went to ground and started to try and ouflank them, the Aussies would do an orderly retreat up the ravines, into the mountains, and disappear into the jungle! The Japs would always give up trying to find them.

The blokes of 2/2 had a good laugh over an episode where they heard over the airwaves that a famous and indefatigable Japanese senior commanding officer, called the "Singapore Tiger" was coming down to head the group, and wipe out the Australians, once and for all! 

The Aussies kept careful watch on the beach, and before long, they spotted this gloriously-outfitted Jap senior officer goose-stepping along the beach, leading his large group of troops!

It only took the first shots of the next ambush to dispatch the goose-stepping senior officer (and then dispatch a few dozen more of his men), before the Aussies retreated again into the mountains - and they never heard any more Japanese bragging about a "Singapore Tiger"! 🙂

• Informative 2